Home
I am torn between getting a 336 in 30-30 or 35 rem... If there will be both chamberings offered.

I am leaning towards the classic 30-30, But the 35 rem has got my attention.

I may have cursed myself already by running a marlin made JM 1895 SS 45-70 off and on for years when situations arise. Be it terrain, weather or just the fun to hunt with the lever action. The on-game effect of the 45-70 and a 350 gr. Bullet at 2000 fps makes one wonder, why use anything elts.... But being a hunt'n and rifle loon, I often use other set ups.

Anyhow, when Ruger finally rolls out the 336 Marlin, that's gunna be my hangup if there is 30-30 or 35 rem is which one...
I believe I’ll be in for a 35 Remington myself when/if they roll one out.
Get both
The 30-30 ammo is much easier to find and less expensive. Since I reload, I would go for the 35 Remington.
I agree that 30-30 ammo is as common as gas, No flies on the 30-30. I reload also so the playing field is level for both.

The 30-30 is a timeless dependable deer/bear slayer. The 35 rem just has a certain allure about it.

Could by both, but might need to mortgage something to do so...

Looks like the 35 rem is favor now anyway!!
30-30 is a great choice, but 35 is cool as well. I see your problem.....
Solution! buy both....
My Uncle Larry hunted in Canada for many years during the 1960's for moose, bear, and deer. His rifle choice: a Marlin rifle in 35 Remington featuring a 24 inch barrel and 4X Redfield scope. His success was legendary and he kindly shared much meat with my family. He gifted this rifle to me from his estate which I consider to be most gracious, indeed. With this rifle, I have downed many wild hogs and one buck. All one shot affairs. 35 Remington is a keeper! - Sherwood
That's very cool Sherwood, love history like that being told.
Sherwood: Indeed that was especially gracious of your Uncle to leave you such a wonderful gift.
Enjoy that Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It's my understanding that Iowa and some other States have gone to .35 caliber bottle neck cases the guns that shoot them are good to go on deer. My friend bought a Remington model 7600 pump rifle in .358 Whelen to take advantage of the officer.

kwg
Everyone should own at least one 30 30. But the best answer is both.
.444?
I gots a marlin 45-70, Its bigger than the triple 4. That 1895 SS 45-70 made me a lever gun guy soon as I heft it in the little gun shop I bought it from years ago....

I agree, everyone should own a lever action. Regardless of brand or caliber, I just much prefers marlins and center fires.

I also agree, to be fully happy a person including me should own a pair of 336 marlin lever guns, One in 30-30 the other in 35 rem or 444, 45-70, 356....
If you reload, go 35
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Everyone should own at least one 30 30. But the best answer is both.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Years ago I was told the 35 Rem and 30 wcf were very similar.

If u reload it’s not the case ( pardon the pun)

The 35 factory ammo is anemic compared to what the 336 action can Handel IMO
Well, supposedly the new 336 is out.... On a wait list at one dealer and keeping tabs at others.

Going with the 30-30.... Till I cannot take it anymore and have to get one in .35 rem if it materializes.
35 Rem for sure but in an original JM. Ruglins and Remlins don't do much for me and the Ruglins are way overpriced!
Gotta wonder if one will be chambered in 360 Buckhammer. I can see Ruger capitalizing on that. If so, the 35 Rem will prob slump?
Ghostman, we're did you see a price on the new 336?? Over here in the rockies I can't even get a msrp on them...

I think ruger is just trying to get things right before getting them out the door unlike remington did. Like focusing on quality and function with the popular calibers.

My brother has/had one of them hurry up, get it out the door for sale remlin things.... definitely not like my jm.

And for what one will pay for a good shape jm now, for me, I will wait for a new 'ruglin'

I have got 80 30-30 brass all resized, polished and ready to go.... getting anxious I am
Seemingly everyone's pining for a blue/walnut .35 or 30-30 at $500 MSRP, but the way I see it, those are on the secondary (used) market. Most of us loonies already have them in our safe anyway. All the leverguns made today, here and overseas, are nipping at the heals of $1k MSRP and many well over. Only speaking for myself, the only thing that would get me to buy one new at close to MSRP is something different that hasn't been done, which is why I bought one of the first 1895 Trappers I found. About the only thing that would get my money right now would be a 336 Trapper in the new .360 cartridge, but it looks like Henry might beat them to that. An 1894 Trapper might do it for me also. I don't see prices falling anytime in the predictable future with production unable to meet demand.
Ruger? MSRP will be north of a grand. All their MSRPs a ridiculously high.
Yep, kick'n myself now after passing on different JM 336 over the years. Kicks get swifter remembering how 'affordable' and the different calibers of 336 I had came across....
Got the 336ss in 30/30. It's great.
Amen. My 336ss in 30/30 fits like a glove.
O.k, rub it in.... twice
Not sure how many 30-30’s I’ve owned. I had a Rem 141 in 35 Rem, sold it. Still have a 336 35 Rem and a 336 30-30 and a 788 30-30 and a Mossberg 30-30.
I think you should buy both. You can always sell one if you have too.

In my opinion a 35 Remington loaded to what the 336 can handle is a pretty lethal combination.
Originally Posted by kwg020
It's my understanding that Iowa and some other States have gone to .35 caliber bottle neck cases the guns that shoot them are good to go on deer. My friend bought a Remington model 7600 pump rifle in .358 Whelen to take advantage of the officer.

kwg

.358 Whelen. That's a rare one😁
Indeed rare..... A .358 whelen
Not all the cheap Marlin 336's are gone. You just have to be patient and I mean very patient. I just bought a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 in 98% condition-except- for a guys name and SS# scratched on the receiver. Other than that it is mint. He was walking into the gunshow and I offered $400 and he took it! It shoots 170 gr Speer bullets and ReL 15 into less than an inch. Keep looking at the smaller shows.
Originally Posted by dmurf205
Not all the cheap Marlin 336's are gone. You just have to be patient and I mean very patient. I just bought a Marlin/Glenfield 30-30 in 98% condition-except- for a guys name and SS# scratched on the receiver. Other than that it is mint. He was walking into the gunshow and I offered $400 and he took it! It shoots 170 gr Speer bullets and ReL 15 into less than an inch. Keep looking at the smaller shows.

What kind of retard etches their personal info onto the receiver of their rifle? What a prick.

No damn way I’m paying anywhere near MSRP for a Ruglin. JM all the way.
What kind of retard etches their personal info onto the receiver of their rifle? What a prick.

No damn way I’m paying anywhere near MSRP for a Ruglin. JM all the way.[/quote]

It was more popular than you may think back in the day. People used to just fling their SSN out there for the whole world to see. But as we all know it is a different world now.

kwg
I haven't seen the new reg.'s but off the cuff i would doubt .35 Whelen is included. It's a high pressure round based off the 30-06, and far more powerful than a .35 Rem.
Your friend may wanna double check before heading to the cornfields .
[/quote]What kind of retard etches their personal info onto the receiver of their rifle? What a prick.

No damn way I’m paying anywhere near MSRP for a Ruglin. JM all the way.[/quote]

Back in the 60's and 70's Police and Sheriffs departments used to advise people to put that information on their valuables including firearms. I think it was supposed to aid in recovery and also as a deterrent to theft. They even had electro engravers and would do it for you. You won't find anything out there with my name scratched on the side of the action.

I remember an article by Skeeter years ago where he and a friend would go into Mexico and look for old single actions. He was fussing about Bartholomew Bustamie who had scratched his name on an old Colt with what was apparently an old horse shoe nail...
Originally Posted by RAM

kwg
I haven't seen the new reg.'s but off the cuff i would doubt .35 Whelen is included. It's a high pressure round based off the 30-06, and far more powerful than a .35 Rem.
Your friend may wanna double check before heading to the cornfields .
I just checked with him again. Yes, it is a Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen. (I called it a .358 Whelen) I reloaded some ammo for him and took it to the range to test it. It has a hefty kick as I recall. But, it's legal in Iowa to hunt deer with.

I would like to have a .35 Remington to hunt deer with. What a classic caliber.

kwg
You could split the difference and get a wildcat 35-30
Either is fine. Personally, I love the 336. So much that I got a stainless and a blued. Heck, I’m looking at the Curly Maple and Trapper models.
© 24hourcampfire