Home
Posted By: GuyM Found a nice Glenfield - 06/26/12
Wasn't even looking - but couldn't help buying when I chanced upon this nice old .30-30 Glenfield. It's in great shape, handles well, shoots fine and at $269, well I couldn't resist - now it's mine. The rifle had a Weaver base already, so I just popped the little 2.5x Leupold on top and sighted in with handloaded 170 gr Remingtons. What a nice little rifle.

[Linked Image]

I even like the kind-of-silly pressed in buck...
[Linked Image]

Am hoping this little rifle will tag along on at least a couple of hunts with me this fall. It sure carries nice and shoots well.

Guy
Posted By: model70man Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 06/26/12
I like it.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 06/26/12
Nice rifle and nice price. Quality is much better than alot of the new stuff out there. I got the same scope on my Ruger #1 45-70.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 06/26/12
Very nice set up Guy.. Should be a blast to carry it around this year.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 07/06/12
You need to send that dog of a rifle out here to me. You wouldn't want your friends to see you hunting with that....
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/07/12
My Glenfield Model 30 AS looks identical and has taken all 3 deer I have ever fired it at.

It is a sweet handling little rifle even with the 4X I have mounted.

I hope you enjoy your days afield carrying that little gem.....At least you won't come home tired.....It only weighs about 7 pounds or so all up!

Well, maybe a little more....I see yours is the rifle.....mine is a carbine.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/08/12
I have my eye on a couple different ones that look similar, but not nearly that good of a deal, that nice, or that ornate with the pressed in buck. (nice snag)

How many shells does the magazine hold?
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/08/12
can you measure your front site, I have a custom that started life like yours. It has a williams peep rear but I thought the front was original.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/08/12
Wow, that rifle is really nice! That is really slick. Nice shooter!
Posted By: SmokeEater2 Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/11/12
Nice! I picked up a used 30 AW model a couple years back and mounted an old El Paso built Weaver 4X on it.

Those are good medicine for white tails.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/11/12
I like that! I have always thought the half-mag Levers were a better looking rifle.
Nice rig!
Posted By: levergunz Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 08/18/12
Glenfields are just a less expensive Marlin.They normally have Birch wood instead of Walnut.Nothing wrong with that.They generally shoot great.Sounds like a good deal on an older Marlin.
Love that 2/3 length magazine tube, too. Very cool little rifle.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 10/19/12
Nice, I been looking for one myself, my current deer hunting with my current guns are just a little to much for the local white tails. A 30-30 would be just about perfect.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 10/19/12
Nice!
I'd take that old store brand Marlin over a box full of new ones.

I started out Deer hunting with a lever gun, went full circle, and fifty years later I'm back to a lever.
There's just something "Right" about Deer hunting with a lever action.
Enjoy
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 11/23/12
Even though the Glenfield is an "economy model" Marlin; every "Economy" Marlin I've seen shoots just as well as the pricier models. I've got a Model 30AS price point special which I think was made for the discount stores like Wal-Mart, etc; (Birch(?) wood with no checkering, cheaper looking sights than a 336). Put a 1-4x 20mm Leupold on it (was factory drilled & tapped) and I love it. IIRC according to the serial number mine dates to about 1991.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Found a nice Glenfield - 11/23/12
I bought my Glenfield carbine in 1979 and its put a lot of meat on our table! 30-30 is a keeper!

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire