Home
Old rifle, been in the family a long time. Can anyone tell me if this looks original? To me it almost looks like the barrel was replaced since there is print under the bbl band. ?

Its a G prefix so I'm assuming 1950

Thanks
Marlin
Posted By: lawnman Re: Need info on a 1950 Marlin - 01/06/13
Yep 99% sure that original. Reason being is I have a '46 model 336. E prefix I believe. Mine is the same way and I always thought it was a little odd too. Man, great gun huh!
Thanks. That helps. Its not in bad shape for its age. Is there anyplace I can pick up an original plastic butt pad?
Vintage Gun grips in Florida sells reproduction buttplates. They show the dimensions and screw hole spacing on their website as I recall. Order one large enough so that it can be ground (sanded) for proper fit.
Hope this helps,
Rick
I doubt it's original. Model 36 was discontinued in 1948 and OP said the rifle was dated 1950. Can you post a pic of the action.
Some of the Marlins did have the rear band over the barrel stamping. When they changed the band placement there were barrels still in stock with the stamping for the previous model and they were used. I have a '46 model 36 with this condition. I would like to see a pic of the action as well, and it may help solve the mystery. I was thinking all the old barrels were used prior to 1950 but stranger things have happened I guess.
Looking forward to a pic of the action,
Rick
Thanks again. Great info, I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Thanks also for the lead on the buttplates Rick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Definitely a 36 action. Now the date of 1950 becomes suspect.

Could the "G" actually be a "c" or a "C" ?? That would make it 1945 or 46 which would make more sense.
Posted By: lawnman Re: Need info on a 1950 Marlin - 01/10/13
Agree with digger. Mine is I believe an "E" and was made in '48. IIRC, that was the first year of the model 336.
Posted By: lawnman Re: Need info on a 1950 Marlin - 01/10/13
What is that front scope ring attached to?
It's a '46 model 36 most likely. The "c" on mine looks like a small "g". The "G" on my '50 model is obviously a "G". Nice rifles and I enjoy mine.
Good Luck with the buttplate, and take care,
Rick
G was my best guess on this but really not sure at all. Really appreciate the help here!

[Linked Image]
As for the front mount...

[Linked Image]
Because the 36 was only made through 1947 I would go out on a limb and say that's a badly marked "C" and a 1946 gun. Nice rifle.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Need info on a 1950 Marlin - 01/10/13
Nice model 36 and a family heirloom!!!!
Thanks for the help all. Appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire