Home
Posted By: gingus 336 and Conquest 3x9x40 - 03/26/06
Has anyone scoped a 336 30/30 with a Conquest 3x9x40? I previously had a 3x9x40 on it and had no problems with cocking with the hammer spur. I am concerned about the ocular housing on the conquest being to close to the spur to have sufficient room to cock. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Djemullet
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 336 and Conquest 3x9x40 - 03/26/06
Use higher/taller rings?

Jeff
Or you could use a smaller scope. At some point they don't look right together but that's just me.
This old timer sees the 3X9 Conquest as too much scope for the Marlin. Notice I didn't say too much quality........Essex
I agree with Jack. Have you ever taken a running shot with a 3X9 up close? Even on 3X it's a blur, then the deer is gone. On my scoped woods rifles I use small scoped 2.5 Redfield widefield, some older 2.5 Weavers and a 1.5 by 5 x weaver and one by Simmons. If a deer bolts by your feet and takes off running, you can track him for a shot as if you had iron sights! A 3X9 is just too much scope for a 30-30. It defeats what the 3x9 scope is good for which is a flat shooting plains rifle.
I agree with Jack. Have you ever taken a running shot with a 3X9 up close? Even on 3X it's a blur, then the deer is gone. On my scoped woods rifles I use small scoped 2.5 Redfield widefield, some older 2.5 Weavers and a 1.5 by 5 x weaver and one by Simmons. If a deer bolts by your feet and takes off running, you can track him for a shot as if you had iron sights! A 3X9 is just too much scope for a 30-30. It defeats what the 3x9 scope is good for which is a flat shooting plains rifle.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 336 and Conquest 3x9x40 - 08/15/06
Personally I think the 3x9 is too much scope to really be useful for a .30-30. IMHO, it'll ruin the lines and clean handling ability of the rifle. However, I don't think 3X is too much magnification. I've killed a lot of deer in the timber with a 3x9x40 turned to 3X. I killed one last year running at a good clip through the timber at 65 yards broadside. One shot, a stumbling run for 40ish yards and sweet venison on the ground. I've done it many times over the years. Normally, I like a good aperture sight. However, a low powered scope does work well if the user is accustomed to such a sight.

I'd suggest either a good aperture sight, or a low powered variable or fixed sight. If not, then a hammer spur may help you cock the rifle under the ocular bell. Sorry for interjecting all the above, the hammer spur was really the only helpful suggestion regarding your question.
Posted By: Buzz Re: 336 and Conquest 3x9x40 - 08/16/06
I agree with the others. I think the 3x9 Conquest is a wonderful scope but too large for your Marlin.
Posted By: tdbob Re: 336 and Conquest 3x9x40 - 08/16/06
Great scope (I've got 3), but I'd rather get a Burris 1.5-5x for that gun.
© 24hourcampfire