Home
Posted By: supercrewd Thoughts on refinishing... - 12/30/16
I tossed out a bid on a 1954 336RC in 35 rem in an online auction. It had some surface freckles as advertised but the metal looked good otherwise and the screw heads were unmolested. It is a nice old perch belly wood, butt stock is clean, recoil plate is mis-sized. Well darn it, I won.

I just received it today and it does not look like I will be able to do a steel wool refinish on the receiver after a brief test. It is otherwise functional, bore is clean.

The million dollar question: Refinish? Clean it up as best as I can and use it? Re-bore to 356 and Cerakote, sort of an Alaskan? Just kicking around some options. I did not get hurt on the purchase price so have some leeway...
Sorry I keep posting this, but powder coat in a hammered finish, any color you want. It's heavy texture will hide imperfections. Bullet proof, waterproof scratchproof probably wear proof.

[Linked Image]
And who did that for you?
I would clean the metal with Flitz and use it as is.
I had a local shop do it. Check the yellow pages for powder coaters. All the small parts were ceracoated and the total cost was $250.
I am thinking something like this if I do CeraKote.

[Linked Image]

The gun in question:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anjin Re: Thoughts on refinishing... - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by model70man

That or something like No. 7 Rubbing Compound for automobiles. And watch it how it is done.

I tried steel wool on an old Browning .22 T-Bolt with heavy rust and it destroyed the action's outer finish. Maybe that action is too soft steel since it is a .22, but why take a chance.

I tried it because that gun was from the era of salt-wood cured stocks when Browning foolishly destroyed so many guns by itself. I can still use it because the bore and innards are clean, but the fancy appearance was already gone after 20 years of being left in the safe without treatment of some kind.

There was a gentleman in the Classifieds from Florence, SC selling various kinds of cold blue around July-August 2016. I bought some and plan to try them out once I get around to cleaning up a couple of rifles, because it sounds awfully good.
Originally Posted by model70man

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Rifle looks to be just fine. Heck it's a used rifle. I like used rifles, have plenty of them. Will do you good in the woods.
Originally Posted by supercrewd
I am thinking something like this if I do CeraKote.

[Linked Image]

The gun in question:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just curious, but how expensive would a CeraKote job on a Marlin 336 be?
I think $250. I have not gotten serious on pricing one.
[quote=supercrewd]I think $250. I have not gotten serious on pricing one. [/quote

At that price, I think that if it was mine, I'd either sell it and combine that $$ with the $250 and look for a higher grade rifle or I'd Flitz it and live with the "character".
I'd do nothing but shoot the damn thing.
That may win out...
I started scrubbing, it may turn out ok.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Thoughts on refinishing... - 01/14/17
post pics when you are done.
Well I scrubbed it up a little trying a couple of different products. The camera makes it appear a little more scratched up than it is. I did a fluff and buff on the operating parts while I was there. It was pretty slick as it anyway. I have to fit a butt plate to get it back to functional. It is still a nice piece of iron.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: Thoughts on refinishing... - 02/06/17
This one was about like yours, before I cleaned it. These were working rifles. Blue loss and a little freckling is a good thing.
Bob

1957 SC
[Linked Image]
My 1960 336SC looks about like yours does in the initial pics, I've left it alone. A little character doesn't hurt a hunting rifle. They were made to be used in any weather, after all.

I bought it used a couple years ago, and that's the way it came to me. I keep an eye on it, to make sure it doesn't get any worse, but it's apparent that it was never a safe queen.

I wish I was in that good a shape, frankly...
Just keep an eye on it. The guns I've had like that are quick to rust again.
Bronze wool will work better than steel wool on restoring a blued finish. Steel wool will scratch the finish and the bronze wool won't.
Rick
© 24hourcampfire