Home
Posted By: Calhoun Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/03/17
Picking it up Saturday hopefully. By some standards it isn't a monster buck, but he's the largest I've shot. And by far the best, given that I shot it with my dad's Marlin (1954 336RC in 30-30). Dad's been gone over 15 years, so it was awesome to get it out and get this buck. Even better was that my older brother was sitting beside me. Gun's been in the family and hunted off and on probably since I was born.

Can't wait...!!! But I'm gonna cry if it's not a great mounting job.

[Linked Image]
Hope the taxi work is good but awsome memory you have with brother rifle and Dad. Thanks for posting and nice buck!
A stirring event. Look forward to see the mount.

Congrats on the nice buck !!!!!!

from your Dad's Marlin !!!!!!!!!!

I hope my G/kids get that kinda use outta my Marlins when I'm dead & gone !
That's a real bruiser buck! Post a pic of the mount when its on the wall.
My dad was a one rifle guy, think he owned this 30-30, a 22 which I don't remember him ever shooting, and a 20ga pump. He did pretty well with this, considering the scarcity of deer in Nebraska back in the 60's and 70's. I never thought much of it, it's just a 30-30, right? After he passed away my mom gave it to me. I picked up some 170gr Winchester ammo and went to the range. Holy cow.. first 5 shots out of it with the old Weaver K4 were just barely over 1" at 100 yards!

I started respecting Marlins a lot right then. I had a 1980's Winchester 94 for a while, and couldn't dump it fast enough after a couple of years.

At one time back in the late 30's a rancher in mid-Nebraska established a wild herd of fallow deer. The last 3 legaly huntedl fallow buck were shot in 1972 I think (became illegal to shoot the next year, and eventually the herd just disappeared). The very last one shot was claimed by my dad and this gun. Not a huge fallow, probably only 2.5 years old, but a cool part of Nebraska history.

Here's a better picture of the gun (scope was switched to a Nikon). I'll definitely post pics of the new mount.

[Linked Image]
Be sure to post a photo when you get the mount. I like this thread---a nice buck with Dad's Marlin.
Nice!
Had trouble getting the pictures off of my old camera, Windows no longer directly supports reading images via USB. Grrr..

But finally got it transferred. I'm very happy with the mount! Gun is buried in the gun safe, so didn't get it out for pics yet.

[Linked Image]
Wow very nice Buck and a Great Mount Rory!
Very nice, Calhoun!!!
Mount looks great, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/11/17
Really a good job on your buck which is a real nice one.I have a 54RC just like yours.Great rifle.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/11/17
great looking buck!

Ed
Posted By: tzone Re: Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/11/17
Wow. What a great buck and a cool story.
Thanks, everybody. Gal that did the mount left the bark on the antlers, love that. Did a quick and dirty scoring, think he's at or just over 140.

I'd seen him on trail cameras all summer and fall, he'd been coming around a lot. But so had half a dozen smaller bucks, and they always change their patterns come the rut. Got to be time in October to pick out a gun for the hunt, so I went into the gun safe and started pawing through the Savage 99's to decide who gets to hunt. Picked up the Marlin and it just clicked.. I needed to hunt that gun. So opening morning my brother and I are sitting in my blind. Already had seen and passed on a 2 year old 4x4, and then about 9:30 this guy comes walking out. Paused about 50 yards in front of the blind, and I put a round through his chest. He took off running, and when I put another round through him he piled up on the ground, kicked once, and that was it. He probably made it 20 yards before piling up. My brother was amazed how fast I got the second shot off, but he's always been a bolt action guy so I can understand the awe he felt. grin. The two shots were within 2" of each other and perfectly placed.. that gun can just shoot.

Another pic here with a Savage rifle that I had out of the safe. Thinking of getting a wall display case for dad's gun and putting it up above this guy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/11/17
I love those bucks. Great looking mount and nice story as always.
Hey, quick question I just got asked.

When did Marlin start d&t'ing their 336's for scope bases?
Posted By: Huntz Re: Woohoo! Deer mount is ready! - 08/16/17
Some in 1954 and all in1955.
Oh, that's cool. This is a first year then. Sweet.
Dig it! Congrats!
Sweet buck and taking him with your Dad's rifle is priceless. cool
© 24hourcampfire