Home
Posted By: Teeder Ported Guide Guns - 09/07/17
Are the ported guns that Marlin offered, Guide's & Outfitter's, terrible in the blast level? I've seen a limited edition guide in .35 Rem for sale and it got me wondering about that.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/07/17
i have the 45/70 and two of the 35's. ya they're loud but not a much difference than the non-ported ones. but i don't shoot them without ear protection anymore and don't recommend my boys do either but they still do.
Posted By: colodog Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/08/17
I had an early Guide Gun in 45-70 and I loaded it pretty stiff which was fine till I hunted it, Ouch!

My loads were loud but the rifle killed well and the rifle carried nice and small but that wasn't enough reason to keep the rifle.

I've since sold the ported 1895 Guide and have two others with 26" barrels, an XLR and an LTD, No Ports.

I like the blast delivered a little further away from my face and not re-directed back to my ears but I may have done as well with lighter loads.... Naaaaaaaa.

Posted By: pabucktail Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/08/17
I had a ported guide gun, a real ear ringer for sure. Killed a few deer and a bear with it. Hated how loud it was and sold it. I'll never have another. I've found the 22 inchers and unported GGs much more pleasant.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/08/17
Thanks, guys.

You just saved me some money! smile
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/08/17
I have a couple ported guns in the case of the GG I think the short barrel is much to blame for the blast as the porting. Since I try never to shoot a gun, even hunting, without ear protection (wear game ears) it is a non-issue for me.
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: Ported Guide Guns - 09/09/17
The ported Guide Guns are much more unpleasant to the ears than the unported ones. I have had both, and my ears would ring when shooting the ported one in a hunting situation.
© 24hourcampfire