Home
I built a number of super accurate bolt rifles. Moved on to 99 Savages. Feeling like I might need to add a Marlin to the herd. I would want one of the late 40s- early 60s 2/3 magazine rifles. Either the shorter barrel one, or the one with longer barrel that was to compete with the 64 Winchester. 35 or 32 preferred. Want to mount a scope. Something like a waffled top that has been violated with D&T? I don't know what models I am trying to find? Help.
marlinowners.com
Marlin 336-A.....24 inch barrel

Marlin 336SC ....20 inch sporter carbine

Doc
People have preferences, and I like the half-mags too, but any marlin can be a good marlin. Get what you like and don't worry about it. 35-stuff interests me more these days, but my old dirty thirty has laid down truckloads of stuff, for all sorts of folks...it's often my loaner.
Marlin SC 336 in 35 , starting with the year of 1955 ( I think this is when they started factory tapping the receivers) would be nice.
I'm thinking 336A 35 or 32. Of course wouldn't automatically say no to SC or 30-30. If 55 is the start of D&T, when does Microgroove start? Prefer D&T w/o Micro.
Don't dismiss the microgroove barreled guns. I own 3, 44mag, 35, and 30-30. All will shoot one inch or better with factory ammo and a 4X Leupold.
bassi, I like your tag line. I have a .308 that has turned in numerous sub 1/2" three shot groups over the years. Getting a little older and I would not bet the rent money that I can still shoot it within an inch....

Jack
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
I'm thinking 336A 35 or 32. Of course wouldn't automatically say no to SC or 30-30. If 55 is the start of D&T, when does Microgroove start? Prefer D&T w/o Micro.

How bad do you want a 336A in 35 Rem? grin 1953ish, unmolested waffle-top.
WiFowler, I would be very interested if it wasn't for the fact I want to scope it. Hate to drill a nice waffle top.
I may have a 35 rem d&t early model I could part with. It’s not pristine, but it’s honest.
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder

My1955 had micro groove.
Don't sweat MicroGroove, they also shoot. You may have to play with the fit of bullets if using lead through either type rifling.

Jack
© 24hourcampfire