Home
Posted By: spud06 Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/02/19
Curious as to why there is so much dislike for the safety? Not sure what the problem is...I don't have that much experience shooting Marlins, but I prefer them.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/02/19

Because Marlin tried to fix something that wasn't broken......all the legal lawyer BS......back in '83

The only purpose I see is unloading magazine while cycling lever.....otherwise its useless

First thing I do with a safety X bolt Marlin is remove & add a delete button.....much cleaner looking

pic......nice & clean no X/bolt safety 44

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spud06 Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/02/19
"The only purpose I see is unloading magazine while cycling lever...."

Agreed and this is why I like it...Probably one of the most high risk times when operating a rifle...especially a lever. If possible, I always put my bolt rifles on safe before I load/unload the chamber. Running 10 rounds through the action is a lot more exposure.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/02/19

Utah......for example........rifle with loaded magazine in vehicle is OK......

so why bother to empty Marlin magazine dry if you're a responsible shooter......

so again for my use the X/bolt safety is of no use....even the G/kids know what a half cock safety is
Posted By: spud06 Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/03/19
OK, thanks. I was just wondering if there was some other reasons that I hadn't heard before.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/03/19
Originally Posted by spud06
"The only purpose I see is unloading magazine while cycling lever...."

Agreed and this is why I like it...Probably one of the most high risk times when operating a rifle...especially a lever. If possible, I always put my bolt rifles on safe before I load/unload the chamber. Running 10 rounds through the action is a lot more exposure.

I also prefer the cross bolt safety yet only one of my Marlins has one which is 1894 .357 stainless.
Posted By: spud06 Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/03/19
Those stainless rifles are really sweet. Wish I had a .357 in stainless. I think only have one Marlin without the safety...
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/19/19
Insult to my intelligence. Of course there might be a few that were never taught how to handle a gun, loaded or not. It may catch on after a while.
Posted By: JBLEDSOE Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 02/28/19

I was banned on Marlin owners forum for disagreeing with a moderator about cross bolt safeties. The CBS is common on shotguns and no one complains about shotguns. I like the CBS for the reasons listed above. Another thing, if someone is injured in a shooting accident involving a rifle with a safety removed, you may as well bend over and start kissing. Lawyers would have a field day and you would be lucky to keep your shirt. I can't afford the exposure.
Posted By: Orchemo Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 03/14/19
I just put a rubber O-ring on the cross bolt safety. Prevents it from being accidentally engaged but does not "modify" the rifle. I dislike the "click" sound of the hammer falling upon the cross bolt safety when on an animal.

https://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/52
Posted By: moosemike Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by spud06
Those stainless rifles are really sweet. Wish I had a .357 in stainless. I think only have one Marlin without the safety...

I have the Rossi 357 in stainless
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 44mc Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 03/16/19
I never unload my lever guns unless I am cleaning it. they are loaded all the time .when I am done using them I will unload them then load the tube then put them away in the safe. at the camp or in the truck they are put away from people
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Marlin X-Bolt Safety - 03/17/19
You all better stay away from The Freak Show.
Half the guys there hunt with unloaded guns!
© 24hourcampfire