Home
Posted By: Kenneth66 30-30 factory FTX - 08/10/19
Shot a 30-30 this evening with an old japan 4 power Tasso on it and seemed 2.5” - 3” was the average size groups using Hornady FTX factory ammo at 100 yds . Thought it would have been better . Had some othe caliber levers there that shot better .
Thinking about trying better glass . Parallax maybe ? Ran out of time will give that a look tomorrow .
Kenneth
Posted By: Youper Re: 30-30 factory FTX - 08/10/19
Have you shot that rifle/scope combo with other ammunition?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 30-30 factory FTX - 08/10/19
I have several rifles chambered in 30-30. Some shoot better groups with 150 grain factory ammo and some do better with 170 grain factory ammo. The 30-30 rifle that I was shooting last year shot good groups with Winchester/Olin 150 grain Deer Season XP factory ammo, but not enough better than any of the 150 grain soft-points from FED/REM/WIN to chose them if the difference in price was important to the shooter.

I have a Savage 170 that shoots its best groups with the Hornady 160 grain LeverEvolution, while another Savage 170 does better with Remington 170 grain RNCLs. I shot FED/REM/WIN 170 grain factory ammo in a Marlin 336 and all of them would shoot around 2.5 MOA interchangeable. No single brand shot enough better than another brand, so I bought whatever brand was less expensive at the time.

Try a couple different brands and bullet weights.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 30-30 factory FTX - 08/11/19
[quote=Kenneth66]Shot a 30-30 this evening with an old japan 4 power Tasso on it and seemed 2.5” - 3” was the average size groups using Hornady FTX factory ammo at 100 yds . Thought it would have been better . Had some othe caliber levers there that shot better .
Thinking about trying better glass . Parallax maybe ? Ran out of time will give that a look tomorrow .
Kenneth[/quote

You may the forearm barrel bad is not placing to much undo pressure on the barrel. I used a Dremel tool to remove some metal under the forearm barrel band so a dollar bill can pass underneath.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: 30-30 factory FTX - 08/11/19
Thanks for all the replies . Hope today to be able to run some other ammo through it . If the barrel band needs relief would the forearm be tight to the barrel ? This forearm is loose to the point of having a wobble to it . Kenneth
© 24hourcampfire