Home
Posted By: dingo New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 06/18/20

Here are a few pics of my new Marlin model 1895 in 45/70. Having owned a 1999 built Marlin 444 previously, this new rifle appears to be quite well made and I have no complaints about the quality.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looks nice, let us know how it shoots.
Looks nice! I have owned several of the Remlins and I liked them all, fit and finish was very good indeed....Good luck....Hb
I have a stainless JM guide gun but have always wanted the full-size one like that as well as a cowboy. Im a 45/70 whore I guess
Congats on a great rifle. I have been using a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 since the early 90's and they are very popular here in Alaska. If I was limited to one lever action rifle it would be the Marlin 45-70 as it can be loaded to suit most situations, I only run heavy Alaska Bullet Works bullets in mine. Lots of bears like the same moose and salmon I like. But, ii I was state side I would try to find a bunch of the discontinued 300 grain Noslers.

Marlin hit a home run with that model in that 45-70 round. Now take a hard look at the Skinner peep sight set up that is milled for Talley/Warne medium height scope rings. One can scope if desired and quickly remove scope and toss in a pack and hunt with peep sight.

My preferred range set up is a good set of shooting sticks. You will quickly find out why if you fire heavy loads from the bench. Shoot the heck out of it Pard!
Posted By: LouisB Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 06/25/20
Congrats on the new rifle.
I think you will like it.
Mine seems like it wants to shoot so I just have to refine the loads.
Unlike many 45-70 owners, I don't need it to be a 458 so lower powered loads are it for me!
In fact I never plan to use it to launch anything but pure lead projies.
Probably RCBS 300, 325, Lee 340 and RD's 350s.
Originally Posted by LouisB
Congrats on the new rifle.
I think you will like it.
Mine seems like it wants to shoot so I just have to refine the loads.
Unlike many I don't need ti to be a 458 so lower powered loads are it for me!

same here I load 405 hard cast at about 1300 and it does all I need
Posted By: Bugger Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 06/26/20
I have one in a lighter model, Remlin. It’s fit and quality is similar to the JM 35 Rem I have.
Got one in 450 marlin
Looks good. I have a GBL.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Lots of complaints persist on the new (Remington) 1895 guns. But of all the newer guns that I have seen, the quality issues seem to have been resolved.
Likewise for the 1894.
Lots of bad reports from guys who bought guns from suppliers who still had the poorer made transition guns. The new stuff is much better received as evidence by yours.
i cashed out on all the JM's i had and even went 6 months without a 45-70 in my cabinet for the first time in 55 or so years. was having health problems and was not sure i could shoot the 45-70 enough to keep one. i had a remlin gbl in the bunch that i had taken in on trade. it shot like a house afire with 405's commonly going into a clover leaf at 100. sold it to my neighbor and started immediately having withdrawals.after 6 months or so i whined and sniveled so much the neighbor sold it back. point is that remlin shoots better then any of the 10 or so JM's i have had. thinking about replacing the plywood stock with walnut and engraving it. have it put in the box with me when the time comes.
oh yeah , it also loves the combined tec Nosler 300g silver tips
i wouldn't hesitate a second on a new 1895, after doing a good inspection of it.
Posted By: dingo Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 07/17/20

I fitted a Ranger Point Precision loadng gate spring to my new 45/70 today. I don't need to worry about loosing part of my finger when loading the magazine now. Also fitted a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 just to top things off.

My nephew ended up with mine when I scored an 1886 Winchester. Just picked up another 444 NIB, thinking of making a Dark Series out of it. Local shop had it and traded a Fur Machine and a little cash for it. After buyinh the sites, lever and barrel work I'll have what it would cost for a standard 444 would cost. Was quoted $70 to chop, re-crown and install supplied Skinner sites and larger loop. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: Hesp Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 09/16/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sad to see the Marlin XLR Stainless 45-70 discontinued. The Deep cut Ballard type rifling works well with my cast bullets. Very accurate. My favorite for deer is the Lyman 330 HP ( 342 gr from my WW ). Driven at 1500 fps it is quite accurate & never seen a deer no matter how big that could stop it. Always complete penetration.
1895 Cowboy 45-70, slicked up with action job, aftermarket checkering, Wild West trigger..

This one has 26" barrel with Ballard rifling, good with cast bullets.

DF

I love that rifle. Who did the custom work for you. Very nice.

Nice checkering. Well maintained beauty.
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I have a stainless JM guide gun but have always wanted the full-size one like that as well as a cowboy. Im a 45/70 whore I guess

Not yet.

More acquisitions required. Consider yourself a 45-70 tramp, tho.

If you want another one:

https://phoenix-az.americanlisted.c...steel-4570-govt-jm-proofed_29007533.html
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I love that rifle. Who did the custom work for you. Very nice.

I did the reshape and refinish. I cut the stock to look more like a vintage, long tang Marlin, reshaped the comb, setting it back a bit.

I sent the wood to Errol Case in MO to execute a vintage pattern, which he did. He does great work and is reasonable. https://casecustomgunstocks.com/

I used Custom Pro Oil from Brownells, a tung oil/urethane finish that's super tough.

The Wild West trigger is a big improvement. This gun had been set up with tang sights, but my eyesight is beyond that. So, I mounted this scope I already had lying around the shop.

Here it is with a companion Marlin 39, set up for CAS work. It actually looks better set up like this, but my vision dictates the glass. The 39 also now wears a scope, a 3-9x40 CDS set up for Fed 38 gr. GameShok, a great hunting round. My son is selling the Marble tang sights on EBay.

Interesting modification on the 39. See photo for a trigger stop which works great. I drilled and tapped for a set screw as you can see. It's the best trigger I've ever felt on a 39. Feels more like an Anschutz trigger than a 39 Marlin.

DF

M-39 with vintage Fajen stock from back when. My attempt at checkering. Rosewood grip cap.

DF

Posted By: pal Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 09/17/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
...I drilled and tapped for a set screw as you can see...

You should have center punched first.
Maybe.

But I’m just an amateur.

laugh

DF
Looks like pretty nice work for an amateur. No flys on that one.
Congrat's on your new 45-70. That looks great!

1895 GBL driver here,

Fav load?

DF
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Congrat's on your new 45-70. That looks great!

1895 GBL driver here,

Hmm...don't have that model. I should get one to have an even seven.
I had five, traded the Miroku Win because you can’t scope those very well and old eyes need good glass.

So, now with two 1895 Marlins, a BPCR Browning and an old Rolling Block.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Fav load?

DF

I have a couple loads, mostly enjoy the lighter one of the two.

405gr cast over 15.0gr Unique, 1250 fps

405gr jacketed flat point over 40gr RL7, 1500 fps.

405s with Unique have that "Old Western Movie" sound to 'em.
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

405s with Unique have that "Old Western Movie" sound to 'em.

Yeah, not terribly loud, but still a nice push of recoil.
Posted By: Hesp Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 09/19/20
The 400/405 gr bullet in the 45-70 at 1200 to 1400 fps is a sromp-er !![Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] These 330 gr HP''s are great for deer.
Originally Posted by Hesp
The 400/405 gr bullet in the 45-70 at 1200 to 1400 fps is a sromp-er !![Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] These 330 gr HP''s are great for deer.

You cast them or bought’em?

I did cast years ago. Gave it up due to time, buy all my cast bullets. Don’t shoot that many.

DF
Posted By: dingo Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 10/28/20

Got my first kill a few days ago. Handloaded 300gn Speers & H4198 was the winning combination.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: New Marlin Model 1895 45/70 - 10/28/20
Excellent! did you recover the bullet? congratulations!

I experience more recoil with H4198 in 45-70 loads compared to RL-7, but still load with it.
I got the trifecta several years before the sale to Remington. My ported guide Gun has a little Leupold scout scope, the cowboy has a Skinner express sight and the standards 1895 sports a Lyman receiver sight. The Guide gun and cowboy have large loop levers, my hands and those small squared levers just do not get along

Yeah, I added big loops from WWG on a couple of Cowboys, two GS and a CB. The SBLs Big Loop is the optimum. Disappointed in the Ranger offerings.

New acquisitions will be swapped with levers from the existing pieces per outing, blued/stainless.
© 24hourcampfire