Home
Posted By: North61 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/11/20
OK...it appears that Hornady has quietly discontinued supporting 348 component bullets. You might want to stock up, before they are all gone.

After years of supporting Hornady they have been pooping in my soup lately. First the great 220 grain 375 Win bullet , then the 405 Flat Nose and now the great 200 grain flatpoint and FTX I think they might continue selling the FTX factory load which is very good. Still that's too many strikes for Hornady and I am going to look at diversifying my buying as they are not being very reliable. Come on Hornady! Even if you have a few slow sellers by offering a complete line of goods you cement the loyalty of the consumer. Not a good decision and a bad day for 348 shooters. The 200 grain Hornady FN is the most accurate bullet in my rifle and for terminal ballistics I put it ahead of the 220 Barnes Original. Fully capable of moose with good shot placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqIBi2YEx78
Posted By: 450Fuller Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/12/20
You are correct in this line of thinking, and you have done some valuable research.
I happened to hit a closing sporting goods store over 10 years ago that
was closing out some seldom purchased Hornady bullets. I think I got about 8 or 10 boxes
of both 348 and 33 WCF 200 gr FP bullets.

Now I have used those, Alaska Kodiaks , North Fork, and Hawk.
I like the 200 gr bullets because they are designed around the Model 71s
capabilities. I don't think you need premium bullets always.
The 200 gr Hawk bullet is amazing if kept under 2500 FPS.
Andy Hill just sent me a box of 200 gr 338 FP for my 1886-gratis.
I have bought enough over the years of Hawk bullets-they work.

No one else has done that among the manufacturers. One does not need 250 gr bullets for every
animal one hunts.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/12/20
I don't have a dog in the 348 Win or 375 Win fight, but I have been enjoying your YouTube content, particularly your 358 Norma.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/16/20
Bummer...I have about 450 of the Hornady's for mine already. The only other bullet I use in mine are the old Barnes 200 X and the 250 Original.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/17/20
The 200 gr FP Hornady is (was) what I shot. Like you, i'll start using other bullets.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/17/20
Once again...
Buffalo Arms. Both 200 and 250 grain
Posted By: Bugger Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/17/20
Not only have they quit supplying the bullets I’ve been using for decades, they bring out garbage like their SST.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/17/20
Well darn it. I have a substantial sum invested in a Mirkoru Win. Mod. 71 that is being made into a .348 Ackley Improved and planned on using that 200 grain Hornady for fire forming a couple hundred pieces of Starline .348 brass. I wonder if Hornady is going to drop their .348 brass? I also invested in what should be a life time supply of 250 grain bonded bullets from Alaska Bullet Works.

I wish Nosler would make a 250 grain Partition for the .348. But, if I was hunting some place besides Alaska I probably would not be using 250 grain bullets, or the .348, instead I would use the much lighter Big Bore in .356 Win. and some 180 or 200 grain bullets. Isn't the Flex Tip bullet popular in the states?

If I ever quit the summer projects we are doing during this virus scare I will attempt to size down the 220 grain Speer FN to .348. Got a sizing die and some bullets, just need to do it. Didn't North and 50-110 run some comparisons on sized and regular 180 grain Speer's in their .348's. I think I saw it on You Tube and an't find it now.

Finding a good load and then having the maker drop the bullet is a royal pain. Which is why when I get the load I like I go and buy a bunch of the bullets and other components with the same lot number. But, I don't think all the moose I have taken at under 100 yards yards in the last 55 years appreciate all the effort I put into consistency. LOL

Worse case scenario I can always turn the .348 into a .35-348 Improved, which was my original thought, but I went the cheaper route, which ain't always cheaper!

Realistically, any thing I need to do with a lever gun can be done with my Marin 45-70 and the 350 or 405 grain Kodiak bullet. History has shown that old round will not die and components are every where!
Posted By: crshelton Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/17/20
Realistically, any thing I need to do with a lever gun can be done with my Marin 45-70 and the 350 or 405 grain Kodiak bullet. History has shown that old round will not die and components are every where!

An interesting observation!
Widespread use does help extend the lifetime of a cartridge. Also helps if off-the-shelf ammo does the job.
And a +1 for the Kodiak in my 1886 45-90. Shot through several Cape buff, a bison, and dropped an ele with a frontal brain shot ;that one actually expanded and required a North Fork to end the game.
Posted By: North61 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/18/20
Yes we did do a video. The Speer bullets squeezed from 358 to 348 work very well. The 220 Speer bullet would be a very good all round load.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/18/20
I mean we could try to get .348 owners to write letters to Hornady urging them to continue production. Model 71 shooters don't just buy .348 components after all.
I'd at least like them to release a public statement about the situation. This quiet discontinuation is not a practice I appreciate.
Not an expert, but maybe they've just discontinued them temprarily to fill the huge demand of .223 and 9mm during this whole corona-craze. They'd have to scrap perfectly good tooling wouldn't they?
Posted By: North61 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/18/20
I did write them but don't expect a response. Who cares about one (or even a few) disgruntled consumer(s)? With such a small number of .348 users I can see that sales are low. Once an ordinary hunter has 2 or 3 boxes they might be set for several years if not decades and so 348 components are no doubt a slow seller. I have 2 more boxes on the way and with my load dialed in (IMR 4451 and CCI 250 Primers at 2500fps and under 2MOA) probably now have a lifetime supply. My dealer had access to 5 boxes so I left 3 for other folks in the same boat.

There is something to be said for brand loyalty and staying as a comprehensive supplier to consumers but companies seem to look for bottom line only and no longer think that way. As a result they will change my behavior as well. Loyalty cuts two ways and when a company quietly discontinues an irreplacable product almost as if to screw you up on purpose they erode that relationship. It's the Quiet part that is most irritating about the process...why not a final production run and some advanced notice? What it might cost you short term would have a long term loyalty benefit. "Look here is a company that goes the extra mile for their consumer" one might think.... rather than what I and no doubt a few others are thinking now.

They did the same thing with the great 220 FP in 375 and a variety of Round Nose bullets that I favoured. No announcement just poof..gone and if you don't find out in time; unfindable.

The problem is compounded because I am a Canadian and the custom and semi-custom choices available to you in the USA are either not available or super expensive and complicated to get up here in small lots. Not the end of the world..but it's a poor practice. Thinking of gearing up to make my own bullets and then to heck with them.
Posted By: HarleyHutch Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/19/20
So that's where the .338's for the 33 went. want to sell some?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/20/20
North, saw your video on the subject on YouTube and ordered a few boxes from Brownells. I think I'm srt for life, but thanks!
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/20/20
I wrote them on sunday and got a response from the folks at Hornady today.
According to the message I got, they currently have it discontinued due to other, more popular, calibers being in high demand at the moment.
So I guess not all hope is lost. I'd still urge you to write an email to their support to let them know that some people still shoot these guns and need ammo.
https://www.hornady.com/contact/
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/23/20
I have all the stuff needed t resize 220 grain Speer's down to .348 if I can ever get the green house done I will do it and load some up. I am mainly interested in a good 250 grain bullet for my .348 Ackley Improved. But, I will test some of the 220 Speer's and see how they compare to the 250 grain bonded .348 bullet from Alaska Bullet Works. If I lived in the states I might consider a 180 or 200 grain bullet for the .348. But, with a peep sight and my ability it is at best a 200 yard deal for me.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I have all the stuff needed t resize 220 grain Speer's down to .348 if I can ever get the green house done I will do it and load some up. I am mainly interested in a good 250 grain bullet for my .348 Ackley Improved. But, I will test some of the 220 Speer's and see how they compare to the 250 grain bonded .348 bullet from Alaska Bullet Works. If I lived in the states I might consider a 180 or 200 grain bullet for the .348. But, with a peep sight and my ability it is at best a 200 yard deal for me.

That'd be an interesting comparison. Mine isn't the AI version, and won't be... but I think I'd prefer 250s up where you are too. That's from reading, though, not from personal experience.

Looks like Woodleigh Weldcore 250s might be worth a look?

Where does one find Alaska Bullet Works products? And are those the same as "Kodiak" bullets?

-Chris
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/24/20
Hi Ranger,

Unfortunately Alaska Bullet Works owner Karl Meilke passed on about 3 months ago and unless some one buys his stuff I don't see the Kodiak bullets being made any more. Many here in Alaska to include legendary bear guide Phil Shoemaker consider them a wonderful bullet and Phil also loads them for his 45-70 rifles. I have shot them for over 20 years out of my 45-70 rifles and have some for my .348 and .356 Win.

PM me if you want contact info for the remaining bullets. There are no more 250 grain .348 bullets left.......
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 07/24/20
Hi Ranger,

Unfortunately Alaska Bullet Works owner Karl Meilke passed on about 3 months ago and unless some one buys his stuff I don't see the Kodiak bullets being made any more. Many here in Alaska to include legendary bear guide Phil Shoemaker consider them a wonderful bullet and Phil also loads them for his 45-70 rifles. I have shot them for over 20 years out of my 45-70 rifles and have some for my .348 and .356 Win.

PM me if you want contact info for the remaining bullets. There are no more 250 grain .348 bullets left.......

Thanks. Sorry to hear, and I appreciate the contact offer.. but in the grand scheme of things, I'd guess almost anybody up in your neck of the woods could need the remaining stock more than I would. I've still got a stash of factory-loaded Silvertips, 200-grain Hornady's, 250-grain Barnes, etc... and no immediate need to fend off bears around here... smile so my thoughts were more theoretical than anything else...

-Chris

Posted By: 450Fuller Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/13/20
As of now, the bullet picture has not changed much-as to supply and demand . It
would be good if Hornady would respond with their 200 gr FP. Hawk still will
make 348 in all bullet weights. Barnes original I still have. Not impressed with their
newer offerings.

Remington core loct bullets were never that good. Silvertips not as good as Hornadys.Based on my
field hunting experience. Hawk-Woodleigh, Swift, original Barnes.

WARNING: Be very careful if one is tempted to use cast lead bullets of any weight
with gas checks in the M-71 348 WCF. The neck is not long enough to keep
the gas check in the neck. IF it falls out and into the powder FOR ANY REASON-you
have a major problem. The GC will form a blockage in the cartridge spiking pressure
to a dangerous level. Even a strong Model 71 will not handle a major pressure excursion well.
Gas and shrapnel back through the action with destructive results possible to rifle and shooter.
Stay away from gas checks if at all possible with the M-71. Much safer in the straight walled
cases like 45-70, 45-90
or 38-55. A word to the wise.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/13/20
Thanks very much for the heads-up on gas checks! I wouldn't have known that...

I ordered some 250-grain Woodleigh Weldcores from Midway yesterday, and some 200-grain Swift A-Frames from Graf & Sons. Plus some new Starline and Hornady brass from Midway. All to augment my stach of Hornady and Barnes bullets, Winchester brass, and factory-loaded Winchester Silvertips. Big buck$$$ once all was said and done.

Just checked my records; last time I fired it was in '87 when I was working on loads with the 200-grain Hornadys and 250-grain Barnes. Didn't do any chronographing. I guess I need to correct all that.

I would expect the original 200-grain Winchester Silvertips would be just fine for the tiny whitetail around here, about all I get out for -- some years -- these days. Maybe the 200-grain A-Frames for hogs, I guess. And the heavier bullets much be good for something... smile

Actually, I began thinking about some of this after reading through another campfire thread about loads for coastal brown bears. Happens I've got a .338 WM that I'd like to pass down to somebody in wifey's family... and I'm not real great running a bolt rifle anyway... which leaves the Model 71 as maybe what I guess I'd choose if I were on a bear watch up there. (Not actually hunting.) Which lead me to the 250-grain Weldcores as maybe viable. Not a lot of brown bears here on the coast of the Chesapeake, though...

-Chris

Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/13/20
A quick review of loading data from several sources (Ken Waters' Pet Loads, a couple Handloader articles, Hodgdon's on-line reloading center, etc.) suggests Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders H4350. H4831SC, Varget, and H3895 could be the current cat's meow and/or bee's knees for temperature insensitivity. I gather they're all "short cut" too, even though only one is specifically labeled that way...

I could be basically starting from scratch, no pressing need to stay with the W760 that I tried 30 years ago (and which worked well).

Lots of other powders are listed as suitable, of course, but is there anything better than the "Extreme" products? At least for getting started?

From among those four, and aside from the normal expected differences in temperament with any given rifle/barrel/primer/case... are there any other reasons one might be better than the others? Charge weights to case size? De-coppering? Low flash? Makes the morning coffee? Et cetera?

I think I've still got a stash of BR-2 primers...

-Chris
Posted By: 450Fuller Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/15/20
Hornady responded to my inquiry on their Interlock 200 gr FP-discontinued.
There reply indicated uncertainty based on the current backlogs of available bullets. So-not promising.
I will stick with Hawk, remaining Hornady, and Barnes original, North Fork and remaining Kodiaks.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/15/20
More supplies gradually arriving. Got the Starline and Hornady brass, and the Woodleigh 250s, in from Midway.

Glancing at the bullets next to a case... Hornady 200s extend to the bottom of the neck... and the 250s (both Barnes Original and Woodeigh) extend to tbe bottom of the shoulder... assuming using the crimping grooves.

My old supply of Hornady 200s is product #3410. No mention of either "InterBond" or "InterLock" on the box...

-Chris
Posted By: 450Fuller Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/16/20
Hornady InterLoc was just the design in the jacket. It was not available on the 200 gr FP originally.
The Hawk 200 gr is probably the closest to the Hornady in terms of quality for the design and price. They work well at about 2400 FPS.
A Lee factory crimp die is money well spent. Keep velocity close to the originals in 200 gr. I have some Hawk 225 gr and they are about perfect.
Peters offered a 210 gr early on. It was supposed to be a good bullet in the 348 Model 71.
Posted By: Dinny Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/16/20
I've spoken to Dennis at Fury Bullets about this subject. While ordering the dies to get into making 348 bullets is easy and affordable, finding someone to run the machines is a not. Dennis struggles to keep up with current orders and can't afford to be slowed down by making 348 bullets. Maybe I can convince him later on to order the dies.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
Hornady InterLoc was just the design in the jacket. It was not available on the 200 gr FP originally.
The Hawk 200 gr is probably the closest to the Hornady in terms of quality for the design and price. They work well at about 2400 FPS.
A Lee factory crimp die is money well spent. Keep velocity close to the originals in 200 gr. I have some Hawk 225 gr and they are about perfect.
Peters offered a 210 gr early on. It was supposed to be a good bullet in the 348 Model 71.

Thanks; figured on getting a Lee crimper. Turned out to be very useful, almost mandatory, on my .44-40 cowboy loads...

My Hornady's are old, old packaging unlike the current pictures... probably just plain ol' cup-and-core, then. Haven't looked at Hawk yet; might do that just so I have a bazillion options sometime down the pike...

Is there a campfire thread about best powders for the .348? Haven't found anything comprehensive with the search tool... I have Ken Waters' Pet Loads, the Steve Gash and vanDeburg articles from Handloader. I see I mis-typed H3895 up above; meant H4895.

-Chris
Posted By: North61 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/17/20
Ranger: I like slower burning powders from H414 and IMR 4451 with magnum primers and also RL 17 and 19. They more nearly fill that big case and give good accuracy with decent velocities and a nice even pressure curve.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/18/20
Thanks, I'll look closer at those. Have you tried working with Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders in that general range, too?

-Chris
Posted By: North61 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/21/20
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
Thanks, I'll look closer at those. Have you tried working with Hodgdon's "Extreme" powders in that general range, too?

-Chris

Igot really lucky with an original 71 that wants to shoot. I have had such great luck with 4451 and magnum primers with Hornady 200 FP's and H414 with all bullet weights that I have not strayed much. The Alliant powders seem promising as well. It's nice having a rifle that doesn't require extensive load development to shoot well.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/21/20
Originally Posted by North61
With such a small number of .348 users I can see that sales are low. Once an ordinary hunter has 2 or 3 boxes they might be set for several years if not decades and so 348 components are no doubt a slow seller. I have 2 more boxes on the way and with my load dialed in (IMR 4451 and CCI 250 Primers at 2500fps and under 2MOA) probably now have a lifetime supply. My dealer had access to 5 boxes so I left 3 for other folks in the same boat.

There is something to be said for brand loyalty and staying as a comprehensive supplier to consumers but companies seem to look for bottom line only and no longer think that way. As a result they will change my behavior as well. Loyalty cuts two ways and when a company quietly discontinues an irreplacable product almost as if to screw you up on purpose they erode that relationship. It's the Quiet part that is most irritating about the process...why not a final production run and some advanced notice? What it might cost you short term would have a long term loyalty benefit. "Look here is a company that goes the extra mile for their consumer" one might think.... rather than what I and no doubt a few others are thinking now.

They did the same thing with the great 220 FP in 375 and a variety of Round Nose bullets that I favoured. No announcement just poof..gone and if you don't find out in time; unfindable.

North61, that is true, I've had my Browning M71 for about 15 years. First thing I did was buy 500 cases, 600 200 Hornady FPs and about 300 250 Barnes Originals so I had everything I needed and not risk components being discontinued. I also managed to find some 200 grain Barnes X bullets. I'll have to give 4451 and/or 414 a try. IMR4064 shoots well but if the others are more of a case filler.

I'm disappointed in how Hornady quietly discontinues bullets, especially their round noses. I have 154 RN's for my 280, but would've liked a few boxes of the 175 and the 250 for my 358 Win. And now the 348 staple, the FP. Seems like a better marketing strategy would be to produce a bunch of stock, announce that it will be discontinued at x-point in time. Sales for those items will spike for those who use them to stock up and have customers with the stock they need.
Posted By: Ranger4444 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 08/24/20
Well, the Swift A-Fame 200s arrived from Graf & Sons.. Fancy "individual" packaging, no less, kind of impressive.

And I've also got some Hornady 200 FTX bullets inbound from Impact Guns.

One of these days I'll have to get off the dime and get the Lee crimper... and then I can get on with starting the project...

-Chris
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 09/01/20
I was passing through a small town and stopped at their gunshop yesterday and saw 10-12 boxes of the Hornady .348 200gr bullets on the shelf. I would have bought them if I still had a 71..
Posted By: beretzs Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I was passing through a small town and stopped at their gunshop yesterday and saw 10-12 boxes of the Hornady .348 200gr bullets on the shelf. I would have bought them if I still had a 71..

Those are a danged good bullet for the 348 Win. Pretty tough and accurate as well.

I'll keep pounding away with the Woodies though. I like how they fly and they aren't too badly priced for the volume I put thru my rifle.
Posted By: 450Fuller Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 09/03/20
If you shoot your Model 71 enough, it can really impress with accuracy and fast handing.
Keep in mind that the original three loading bullet weights from Winchester were 150-200-and 250 grains.
The 150 gr was dropped as it had little sectional density and was not reliable. The 250 gr probably did not sell that well,
so was discontinued. Peters made a 210 gr which was effective, but rarely seen.

I have some 225 gr Hawk bullets that are close to the perfect weight in the .348 WCF. Fast enough,
but heavy enough for anything virtually. The Hornady is still a good bullet, so hang on to what you have .
The Swift intrigues me a bit because it is a bonded A-frame at the original 200 gr weight. Will work well for bear and is well constructed.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/12/21
Originally Posted by beretzs

Those are a danged good bullet for the 348 Win. Pretty tough and accurate as well.

I'll keep pounding away with the Woodies though. I like how they fly and they aren't too badly priced for the volume I put thru my rifle.

I'm bringing up this thread again because I just passed through that same area and that same shop still has those same bullets so whoever I talked to and said they called them flat out lied to him
Posted By: Tarbe Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/16/21
I am glad I have a little over 1,000 of the 200gr Hornady (and a lesser supply of other bullets in .348, totalling perhaps 400).

The one bullet I'd love to have, but cannot find, is the 220gr Barnes X. frown
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
From the other day. I ended up buying a couple boxes for my friend, since I was passing by that little shop again, on my way home.. They raised their price, from the last time I saw them back in August... Same bullets, same store. Just a little more dust on the top of the box this time..
Posted By: Dinny Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/18/21
I just got another box of the Hornady 200gr from a friend. Add them to the Barnes 200gr and 220gr XFNs, 200gr FTXs, and all the lead cast bullets I have, my unborn grandkids will be shooting my single shot .348 for generations to come.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/18/21
I heard some one from Sitka is buying the Alaska bullet works business. Hopefully they will start offering their bullets before long. Before the prior owner passed I had talked him into making some 220 grain bullets for the .356 Win. and was prodding him about 220 grain bullets for the .348. Being and old school Alaskan old Karl felt the 250 grain weight was best for Alaska in the .348 so that was the only weight he offered.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/18/21
Maybe we'll see another revival of the .348 with Pedersoli now chambering their Model 71s for it.
https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/e...classic.html#/226-caliber-348_winchester
Also looks like they are not putting a lawyer safety on it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/19/21
I heard some one from Sitka is buying the Alaska bullet works business. Hopefully they will start offering their bullets before long. Before the prior owner passed I had talked him into making some 220 grain bullets for the .356 Win. and was prodding him about 220 grain bullets for the .348. Being and old school Alaskan old Karl felt the 250 grain weight was best for Alaska in the .348 so that was the only weight he offered.

Those 250’s were darned near identical to the Woodies. Out to 200 yards they’ve shot well for me in my Browning M71.
Posted By: Dinny Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/22/21
Any idea what Davide will be selling those M71s for?

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: 348 Hornady Bullets - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by Dinny
Any idea what Davide will be selling those M71s for?

Thanks, Dinny

I believe that these will probably go for the same as the .45-70 1886/71, which is around 1700$ on the internet.
© 24hourcampfire