Home
Posted By: pharmvet Sling for 71 - 10/31/20
Would you / do you prefer a 1” or a 1-1/4” sling on your model 71?
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Sling for 71 - 11/04/20
For leather slings I prefer a 1" sling and for a cotton web I prefer a 1.25 to 1.5 inch sling. I pretty much settled on Montana Rifle Slings years ago, they adjust quickly and work for a hasty sling. A good option is the old Garrand/military 1.5 inch cotton web sling that is battle proven and comes in green and black and cost less then 20 bucks. I encourage you to get on You Tube and look them both up.

I'm ordering a couple of the Garrand/military slings soon. They don't rot like leather and are cheap to make, which is why the military went to them. But, that does not mean they are not a good sling.

A good sling should carry what ever rifle it is attached to well and allow the user to quickly use it as a shooting aid if needed.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Sling for 71 - 11/05/20
Along these same lines....who makes the best front band-sling stud thingy for a 71?
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Sling for 71 - 11/06/20
I have never had one fail me so take your pick. I always take a look at what New England Custom Guns Offers and about any place like Brownell's or Midway will carry them. What ever works on a 45-70 tube magazine should work on a Mod. 71 do to rim size.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Sling for 71 - 11/06/20
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Along these same lines....who makes the best front band-sling stud thingy for a 71?

Uncle Mike's 20 gauge works great.

OD on my 71 was just about the same as the OD of the barrel on my 20-gauge pump.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20
Thanks guys.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20
I'll clarify my post a little more. The OD of the magazine of my M71 was what I was referring to, not the barrel of the rifle.

Quite often I post something that is very clear to me but is actually not very clear at all.....
Posted By: pharmvet Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20

Grov Tec makes one here in the USA. That’s important to me
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20
I ordered one of the Andy's leather Rhodesian slings, 1.25", to go with my 71.
Since I'm still waiting on the deluxe nose cap (might come next week, fingers crossed) it's currently sitting on my Heym and does a pretty good job at it.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I'll clarify my post a little more. The OD of the magazine of my M71 was what I was referring to, not the barrel of the rifle.

Quite often I post something that is very clear to me but is actually not very clear at all.....

We must be related....I knew exactly what you were saying. smile
Originally Posted by Boomer454
I ordered one of the Andy's leather Rhodesian slings, 1.25", to go with my 71.
Since I'm still waiting on the deluxe nose cap (might come next week, fingers crossed) it's currently sitting on my Heym and does a pretty good job at it.

Please let us know how that cap works out!
Originally Posted by pharmvet

Grov Tec makes one here in the USA. That’s important to me

I saw those at Brownell's. Definitely on the short list!
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20
I put an 1-1/4" Montana (plain) on my 1895.
Comes with GroveTec QD's
And the Montana design not only works very well, it just looks "correct" on a lever gun.
I prefer 1-1/4" wide slings unless it's a M1907 sling for a Garand or a M1903
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Sling for 71 - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

We must be related....I knew exactly what you were saying. smile

Alright!
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Sling for 71 - 11/08/20
Will one from a Winchester 1886 work?
I have the one that I used on the 1886 that I sold you. It was oversized but I used a piece of leather inside of it to keep from marring the mag tube.
I used it with a loop of paracord to hang from a hook in the treestand.
Yours for shipping....
© 24hourcampfire