Home
Posted By: 1886nut Winchester 1886 feed jams - 11/29/20
I can't get a round to feed and then chamber in this antique 45-70 Winchester 1886. Magazine, cartridge stop, and lifter work fine. Round makes it about into the chamber as you see it and then jams and the cartridge base refuses to jump up and get in line with the bore axis. No reasonable amount of hand pressure on the lever will budge it. Gun letters as a 45-70 but I can't say if the bbl is original. I didnt look at it closely before sending it off to Turnbull for restoration but since they didnt do the barrel work they didnt flag this problem.

Although I only shoot trapdoor reloads with hard cast lead boolits in old 45-70s (they are more than enough for the deer around here), the round in the photo is a Remington green box with a flat nose but fairly rounded sides and enough of a crimp that should feed about as smooth as any from a levergun. The edge of the chamber mouth looks kind of sharp. Would a simple polishing with emory paper be in order? Its a takedown rifle so no problem with access.

Gun fires and ejects fine when loaded as a single shot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'm not very knowledgeable so would send it back to Turnbull. I'm sure they can set it back to fine feeding in short order. Good luck with the project it appears to be a looker. Would you allow us to drool over some more photos please? Be Well, RZ.
I had a Marlin 45-70 do something the same ,totally differant gun that works differant i know .I sent it back ,and the extracter needed to be tuned ,it was putting to much pressure on the rim ,causing it to jam and not finish going all the way into the chamber ,..just something to check out
What bullet weight and what OAL are you shooting?
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 11/30/20
Is this the original barrel? You mention "barrel work", what else was done besides Turnbull refinishing? Since it's hanging up on the case mouth I'd say the lifter isn't quite getting it high enough. Knowing Turnbull restoration work isn't cheap, I'd be calling him (or the 'smith that worked on barrel?) if it wasn't 100% to my satisfaction before I attempted any home remedies.
Posted By: 1886nut Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 12/06/20
Apparently much ado about nothing. Lever simply needed to be worked smartly.. So long as you do that it feeds smoothly. An 1886 in 45-70 and 50-110 is not a little 1894 in 30-30.lol

Fine looking rifle.
My 1886 .45-90 is as plain as they come, but is a shooter.
Speaking of working the 1886 action smartly, after a bison hunt where the first shot did not drop the Bison and a shot at the running animal was required, my guide told me that the empty/ejected .45-90 case went 6 feet above my head! Guess I was a bit exited. The second shot did the job.
Posted By: byron Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 12/06/20
Originally Posted by 1886nut
Apparently much ado about nothing. Lever simply needed to be worked smartly.. So long as you do that it feeds smoothly. An 1886 in 45-70 and 50-110 is not a little 1894 in 30-30.lol

Beautiful rifle! Just started reading this thread, and was prepared to ask if you were babying it when you tried to chamber a round. Glad you got it sorted ouByron
Posted By: byron Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 12/06/20
Originally Posted by 1886nut

Beautiful rifle! Just started reading this thread, and was prepared to ask if you were babying it when you tried to chamber a round. Glad you got it sorted out.

Byron
Posted By: 1886nut Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 12/07/20
There is something to be said for a rifle that you dont have to worry about getting wet.
A wonderful looking rifle there. Thanks for the photographs. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: 1886nut Re: Winchester 1886 feed jams - 12/10/20
The Cody letter mentions "XXX wood" but not the checkering. I had Turnbull add that since the wood looks to have been replaced in modern times.
© 24hourcampfire