Home
Posted By: Mrhp Browning 71 conversion to 50-110 - 01/23/21
I am looking for some feedback on this endeavor. 24 inch barrel mostly used for punching paper, but when I retire, hopefully some hunting. I will most likely be reloading this caliber, although I have never reloaded before. Just looking for any recommendations, do’s or dont’s with whole idea. Can this be loaded down for Whitetail deer? Any and all responses appreciated. Thank you!
What will the .50-110 do for you that the .348 doesn't?

Yes, it can be loaded down.

-Chris
Give me the thrill of shooting a hot 50-110. That’s about it. I don’t NEED a 50-110, I just WANT one.
Will the 50-110 feed? Is it limited to bullets that don't protrude to far from the case? Have you considered 50 Alaskan?
The 450 Alaskan is a much better all around field cartridge shooting very flat when using open sights and 300 grain projectiles. As a stopper lever gun shooting heavies it doesn’t get any better. Plus there are a multitude of .458” projectiles to choose from and brass is available from many outlets.
The gunsmith I contacted said he has made them before, and preferred to start with a Browning. It may not be the most practical cartridge, but I like old timey calibers.
Originally Posted by Mrhp
Give me the thrill of shooting a hot 50-110. That’s about it. I don’t NEED a 50-110, I just WANT one.

Fair enough, perfectly good reasoning. smile

-Chris
Originally Posted by Ranger4444

Fair enough, perfectly good reasoning. smile

-Chris

I agree! If you want a 50-110, make one!

There are bullet limitations. And that large case will be a little bit more challenging in working up your gopher load, but as a handloader you can do all sorts of things to increase the utility of the cartridge.

Have at it!
Thanks! I have never reloaded before, but when I get this rifle, I will learn.
Doug Turnbull can do that conversion on a Browning 71. I explored that very conversion a couple of years ago. They could do it on either a Winchester or Browning 71.

As far as bullet limitations, there really are none if you cast your own. The 50-110 would be well suited for cast bullets. As such you are only limited by your own imagination. Accurate Molds will work with you on just about any design you can come up with and MP Molds and NOE have a few options. I have a few molds for my 500 Linebaugh, one an MP 525 grain with hollow point options. Cast hard in the solid option and driven to the rifle and cartridge's potential, that 525 ought to make a serious thumper. Toned down a bit with a softer alloy and in hollow point form and you'd have a good deer, elk and moose bullet.
Original 50/110 rifles had a slow twist and, judging by the short ogive bullets, typical of factory rounds back in the day, the factory did not optimise the chamber and feeding for longer bullets. This is understandable given that original rifles fired light for calibre bullets at relatively high speeds. However you can get WFN bullets loaded to 2.8” LOA that feed and cycle in a levergun, if the smith knows what he’s doing.

For starters I’d suggest you use a barrel twist that will stabilise heavier bullets. The norm these days for 50/110 conversions is around 500gr. A 1 in 20-24” twist will work with a wide range of bulllets, including the lighter ones. A 50/110 has substantial powder capacity and full power loads in a strong rifle will be in 458 Win Mag territory, ie stout recoil.

The other area to pay attention to is the method of retaining the magazine to the barrel. This is particularly important if you use heavy loads.

There are jacketed bullets suited to levergun use made by Barnes and Woodleigh. When you choose your smith I would suggest you supply him with a few dummy rounds to make sure the conversion feeds and cycles bullets you intend to use.

Plan your conversion carefully and work out what weight you want to end up at. If you’re going to hunt with it, you really don’t want a 10-11lb rifle that is muzzle heavy.

I have looked at a few of the big notes on the Winchester levers. Reach out to 450fuller on here and pick his brain. If I were to go down the road again I’d be looking at the 50 Alaskan of 50 B&M alaskan. Starline makes brass. You can get all any sane person can handle.
Originally Posted by JFE
Original 50/110 rifles had a slow twist and, judging by the short ogive bullets, typical of factory rounds back in the day, the factory did not optimise the chamber and feeding for longer bullets. This is understandable given that original rifles fired light for calibre bullets at relatively high speeds. However you can get WFN bullets loaded to 2.8” LOA that feed and cycle in a levergun, if the smith knows what he’s doing.

Seems to me there were maybe two versions on the same case: .50-100 with heavier bullet, and .50-110 with lighter "express" bullet. If I'm remembering that correctly... it might also follow that the twist rate for each may have been different in original barrels.

Maybe.

-Chris

There was the more common 50/110 (50 Ex) and, as you mention, the faster twist 50/100, the latter being loaded with a 450gr bullet - both used the same 2.40” length case. There is some evidence that Winchester dabbled with an intermediate 105gr BP loading using the same length case, but that one seems to be more a prototype / experimental loading.

The original 50/110 had a twist rate of 1 in 54” but I’m not sure about the 50/100 twist rate.
All good info fellas, thank you! I want to go into this educated a bit, so the end result is a fine shooting rifle .Any smiths here done this work on a 71 before? With the short mag tube, how many rounds does it hold? I prefer the short mag for looks, balance, and weight.
I had a Browning 71 converted to 45/90 and I could not get 4 in the tube mag until I swapped in a shorter magazine plug. If you’re rebarrelling anyway, you might look to install a slightly longer mag tube to avoid any problem.

I agree that the shorter mag tube is more desirable for the reasons you mentioned. The other issue with heavy loads is that under recoil, the remaining shells in the mag act like a slide hammer, putting additional stress on the parts holding the magazine in place. Obviously, a full length mag tube filled with cartridges only makes matters worse.

I hope you realise that for someone who hasn’t reloaded previously going straight to reloading for a 50/110 is a tall order. Instead of a Browning 71 you might want to consider buying a Browning 1886 in 45/70 instead. This model can also be converted to 50/110 but before doing so you can use it and familiarise yourself with the rifle and with reloading. By comparison the 45/70 is easy to find components for and load data is plentiful. I’d suggest the rifle version with the octagonal barrel. When and if you decide to move forward with the conversion you can have the barrel bored and re-rifled to 50 cal, shortened etc etc. This would reduce the conversion cost and look like the original. You would need to replace the buttstock for a shotgun style buttstock - those steel crescent buttplates are no fun at all.
I had an 86 in 45-70 for a few years. Took a whitetail with it easily. I had not reloaded for it. Just used factory ammo. Nice gun, but this time I want a 71. The old man had a 71 years ago and I always liked it. I would really like it in a thumper caliber like 50-110. I do appreciate and respect your insight, I have a lee single press and some odds and ends, but I will get into the reloading portion after I get the rifle. If I have to buy all new equipment, so be it. There are worse things I can do with my time I suppose.
Send your rifle to Turnbull with a 20 twist octagon barrel from McGowen, cut to your preferred length on barrel and mag tube, with the 50-110 WCF and Starline brass you can load Cast Performance 475 to 525gr bullets over RL-15 powder, I took the 525's with RL-15 to a safe and accurate 2150 fps, a horrendously powerful load, order a Smith Ladder Barrel Sight from Buffalo Arms, with that, you can drill 400 yard steel gongs.

I do that very thing with my Turnbull '86 in 50-110 WCF, even with blackpowder and 700 grain cast lead bullets, it's a hell of a cartridge.
I have a Browning 1886 that I had converted to 50-110 WCF because like you I wanted one. I have owned mine for 19 years now. I only shoot cast bullets out of it because like a 45-70, jacketed bullets offer no real advantage. My barrel is 1-20" twist. I have two Accurate Molds for it, one is 325gr., the other a 475gr., both gas checked. When I first had it built Starline was not making brass yet.
Originally Posted by 451whitworth
I have a Browning 1886 that I had converted to 50-110 WCF because like you I wanted one. I have owned mine for 19 years now. I only shoot cast bullets out of it because like a 45-70, jacketed bullets offer no real advantage. My barrel is 1-20" twist. I have two Accurate Molds for it, one is 325gr., the other a 475gr., both gas checked. When I first had it built Starline was not making brass yet.

That’s good to hear that you are happy with yours. I am looking for a rifle to convert. It should be a fun exercise.
I thought I would mention this in case you have not found your browning? I have a Browning 71,it's already wearing a 450 Alaskan barrel but has a second barrel that could easily be re-bored to the 50 -110,I have three of these of this cal rifles,would sell this one if interested,thanks.
I own and shoot an original 50 EX. 1886 and have had good experience with both 350 and 450 grain cast over IMR 4831 compressed using magnum LR primers.
Mine a 1/2 Octagon, 1/2 Magazine that came my way from the collection of a boarding house in Skagway AK.
It is a fun rifle, in part because of the history attached.
Years back, using the dimensions of the internals of this original I had another ‘86 converted and rebored to 50 EX. I wish I stilled owned that one as well.
Yes, you should find it a fun project. Bon appetite’
I too like the old cartridges. I think it would be fun to hunt a buffalo or a bison with one.
Originally Posted by 451whitworth

That’s good to hear that you are happy with yours. I am looking for a rifle to convert. It should be a fun exercise.

Are you looking for a standard, or hi-grade? Rifle or carbine?
Ahh, this brings back memories of when I was looking for an 1886 in 45-90 to best the performance of two 1886 45-70 rifles of my shooting friends. My long term objective was taking the rifle to hunt in Africa. Fortunately, logic overcame emotion and I chose this 1886 .45-90 which also shoots 45-70 just fine.. In fact, early on, I shot a lot of game with the 45-70 factory 300 grain ammo.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Please take the complaints of the crescent butt plate with a grain of salt - some folks just never learned how to handle and shoot a crescent properly. Mine has never bruised or cut anyone that shot it. Of course, they were all experienced 1886 shooters.
Mine has shot only a few cast 325 grain hand loaded bullets because I do not plink or shoot gongs with this rifle; it is a hunting rifle and I love the performance of the Winchester Supreme 300 grain Nosler PP bullets. Very effective on American soft skinned game AND African leopard.
My .45-90 with 450 grain North Fork bullets at 2150 fps MV has taken elephant and Cape Buff with ease. Also bison and such. Imagine what a real Big Bore could do!

Welcome to the 1886 cult!
It does help to look at a couple of original 1886 rifles to get an idea about your .50-110 cal conversion
or any 1886/M-71 re-barrel/re-chamber. The Browning rifles do well for this, as I tend not to want to alter existing 1886 or pre-war M-71 rifles-
other than possibly to 348 Ackley Improved.

Excepting the historical perspective, a 50 AK or 450 Alaskan is equal to a 45-90 or 50-110. Brass is actually available
from Starline. If you have not reloaded before, a bit of research and work on possible details is involved. Be ready to learn by experience.
Having owned and still own a 450 Alaskan and 450 Fuller, their design was necessary because of an existing need
for a bear-stopping caliber in Alaska and Canada.
The 1886/Model 71s were perfect because of proven reliability and fast repeat shots.
450Fuller,
Is there anything involved in converting the Browning rifles to .450 Alaskan other than a re-bore and re-chamber ?
While I too find the 50-110 high on the "cool" factor, for practicilty I would stay with the 45-70.
Scarcity of reloading dies and materials has kept me from buying a 33WCF
Bugger said "I think it would be fun to hunt a buffalo or a bison with one."

It was fun! My 1886 45-90 has done both and an elephant.

I used one of those African loads to shoot a running bison at 45 yards and it shot through both shoulders and kept going. The Bison did not keep going.
Mr Shelton, What is the tang sight on your 45-90?
Byron,
That is a Marbles sight.
The rifle also has a Marbles folding barrel sight:

Byron
A little more detail on the Marbles Tang Peep Sight.
Wood was removed from the front of the comb so the sight can fold down and lock in place.
Ed, et alia:

When doing my 50 AK and 450 rifles, Harry McGowen and I discussed at his shop the internal modifications. This is usually NOT required on an 1886, but
it is necessary on either a Winchester or Browning in 50 AK or 50-110/50EX on the M71.The reason is due to the carrier and internal geometry
to make the rifle reliable in feeding. A single shot may not help you in grizzly country. An 1886 recently made may need some internal work.

Also not wise to have a barrel less than 22 inches, IMHO. Balance is critical in the heavier calibers. Cast lead bullets work for load development but I prefer my stock of
Hawk 450/400 gr or Kodiaks in AK or Africa. Bears and buffalo are serious in their own territory. If pushing heavy bullets regularly, you will need an
attachment bbl-to mag to stabilize the mating. H. Johnson used a modified 94 carbine band in Alaska, I think. Many ways to stabilize against recoil.
There are no better rifles in the north woods for bears.
I’m surprised that a 71 Browning will handle that long of a cartridge. Obviously an ‘86 can but…
At any rate I’d be happy to see the end package and to be proved wrong.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’m surprised that a 71 Browning will handle that long of a cartridge. Obviously an ‘86 can but…
At any rate I’d be happy to see the end package and to be proved wrong.

Why surprised ? They are the same rifle excepting the upgrades to the 71 which should not change the size of cartridge it can handle.
The 71 has a shorter action, I believe but could be wrong.
A guy on You Tube goes by 50-110 and had a new Winchester converted to 50-110 and loads for it. Check out his videos and he can probably share load info etc.
The 71 has a shorter action, I believe but could be wrong.

Never read that they changed the action length , just that they upgraded the internals. I don't have an '86 to measure so I also could be wrong but I see no logical reason to shorten the m71 action from the original "86 length.
I read an article that Winchester shortened the action when they went from 1886 to 71. The Brrowning and Winchester Jap 71’s followed the original 71 dimensions.

I could be wrong. Unfortunately I believe too much stuff I read.

Edit:

I measured my 1886 and my 71 length of the receiver. I could not see any difference.

Thanks for the correction.
I picked up a Browning 71 Deluxe, and sent it off to create a 50-110 conversion with Wayne York, at “Oregunsmithing” turnaround was quick, and fantastic work. I’ve cycled 50-110’s ( with short bullets) 50 Alaskan with long bullets, and 348’s still cycle thru it flawlessly. No I did not fire 348’s, just cycled them thru. It’s a 510 bore, so I hand single fed some 500LINEBAUGH and it shoots them well also.
There’s just something about those big cigar sized cartridges that’s inspiring.
I read an article that Winchester shortened the action when they went from 1886 to 71. The Brrowning and Winchester Jap 71’s followed the original 71 dimensions.

I could be wrong. Unfortunately I believe too much stuff I read.

Edit:

I measured my 1886 and my 71 length of the receiver. I could not see any difference.

Thanks for the correction.

This article was written by

The .348 Winchester
Loads for a Winchester Model 71
Feature By: R.H. VanDenburg, Jr. | December, 17

Overall cartridge length accepted by the ’86 was considered to be 2.875 inches (often 2.88 inches in practice); this dimension in the Model 71 was reduced to 2.795 inches.
Not sure but the Original Winchester model 71's have a long tang and a short tang version and I'm wondering if that plays into what your talking about?
Just FYI as I'm also interested in this information.
HS 58
Here’s a couple pics of my short barreled 50-110 converted Browning 71. Unless you re-barrel, the original barrel is too thin out on the end to bore it out to .510. Added the NECG front sight and hood, and a well deserved recoil pad. Must use short nose bullets with 50-110 brass, or any bullet using 50ALASKAN brass.
I’d like to hear from someone with a 1886 50-110 regarding need for short nosed bullets.
I’d like to hear from someone with a 1886 50-110 regarding need for short nosed bullets.

I think that largely depends on the conversion detail. Original loadings were not loaded with long, wide nose pills. Invariably when you see original loaded cartridges, the bullets are short and have a narrow meplat. Typically they are loaded with a pill similar to Lyman 515139.

Mine can load and cycle pills loaded to 2.8” with a wide flat nose.

If you are contemplating having one built I would suggest you supply dummy rounds so the smith can fine tune the conversion to load and cycle the pills you intend to use.
I always thought that was a really neat cartridge but never seen a rifle chambered in it or a cartridge for that matter. But my late Brother who was a on and off guide for twelve years in Wyoming told a story that cracked my up. One of his best customers showed up at the ranch where my Brother kept his horses. He wanted to show him an old but slick 1886 Win that was chambered in 50-110. My Brother would have liked to shoot it but too many years of big bores knocked one of his retinas loose so he became a confirmed 220 Swift man. Anyway this guy loaded up for some demonstration shooting. He had both black powder and smokeless loads and wanted to show the rifles accuracy. First shot and he drops the gun on the log rest and starts choking. When he settled down he was embarrassed to say he forgot to remove his false teeth. I’ll never forget that story

Rick
Good day Bugger. I am shooting a new production Win 86 deluxe that I had rechambered to 50-110 from 45-70. I have tested a few different type bullets through it. The lyman 515139 and RCBS 50-450 both cycles through without issue along with Barnes original 450gr. The cast performance 525gr I had to make sure they were loaded to the very top of the crimp groove to get them to load. My biggest issue wasn’t cycling then but loading in through the gate. These are quite a large meplat bullet and they “just” fit through the gate. I’d have to check my notes on OAL of what these were loaded to.
I’d like to test out some Woodleigh 500gr but Havnt found any yet here in Canada.
© 24hourcampfire