Home
Posted By: jorgeI I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/10/21
But you guys knew that. So I come back from the local dealer, all happy with my latest acquisition, a lovely Marlin 1895 "Cowboy" in 45/70, with a nice long octagonal tube and in GREAT condition, when my other "tempting supplier" Woody (AKA FLYBOYFLEM) texts me "hey I'm at Cabelas (La Vista, NE) and there is a NIB (but selling as used for some reason Winchester (Miroku) 1886 in 45/90! CCH receiver and butt plate. Been looking for one for a WHILE so here we are...(I was unable to secure a set of dies anywhere, but Woody loaned me a set and gave me some brass, also unavailable)...Now to work up loads, but I do have some data. If any of you have loads, either with 400 plus or 300gr gas check lead pills, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks in advance!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: crshelton Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/10/21
Your 1886 45-90 will be more pretty than mine but it will likely shoot the same -- very well.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Sorry, but my only cast bullet recipe was for 325 grain pills and , yes they shot well. Most of my 45-90 has been with modern bullets such as North Fork, Punch, Winchester Gold 300 grain Nosler PP ( my fave for deer and Leopard! ) 450 grain solids for Africa, and right now, NF 350 grain SS in my 1886 and my Beretta 45-70 DR and soon to be 45-90 DR. Load data for the latter upon completion of testing, but it should make you smile.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Posted By: jorgeI Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/10/21
I didn't know North Fork was back in business. Fortunately, I have a lifetime supply for my 405 and 450NE smile
Yes, making the bullets in Sweden and shipping them over.
I also have a good supply from back when, but these were from Mike for me to go shoot something and brag about it. Gladly! I am eager to see how they shoot in my 1886 as it has been several days since I loaded them and have been grounded by the wind or rain. I loaded them at 60, 65, 67, and 69 grains of N133 but have not been out with chrony. Now some are being used to regulate
my DR.

I also have a box of 45-90 NF 450 grain FPS loaded to 2150 fps left over from Africa. Maybe go shoot some bison?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-90_Sharps

Interesting info on 45-90 Express.
Also see LoadData .com
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/11/21
Glad you snagged it, it's a nice piece and the price for NIB was a surprise especially for our local Cabelas. Mine as you know is CR's twin but this one was really tempting !

I'll keep looking for dies as well as cases and give you a heads up if I see something...Your dies are inbound should be there Mon or Tues...
Posted By: crshelton Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/11/21
https://aviationsourcenews.com/airl...cial-flight-taken-forcibly-80-years-ago/

A good story for you guys!
A great story!
Thanks!
Posted By: Otter Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/20/21
jorgeI - I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 approx 2003 vintage. I use 54 gr IMR 4350 under 40:1 cast Lyman 457193 (RNFP) lubed with 1:1 beeswax/mineral oil mix and a card wad. I crimp enough to keep the bullet from falling out or going farther into the case when loading the tube.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/20/21
Thanks, Otter, Sounds like a good load
Posted By: Otter Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/20/21
jorgeI - That load has worked well on at least 4 deer, one was about a 230# (field dressed), 11 pt whitetail at our farm in Nebraska. He went down as if he had been hit with Thor's hammer.

I almost always hauled 4 or 5 different rifles to deer camp so keeping track of which deer was killed by which rifle gets more and more fluid as I age. One time my Dad asked why I brought so many rifles and I gave him two reasons - 1) I have them and 2) I don't know what I will feel like shooting/carrying on any given day.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 12/22/21
You oughta name one of em "Dolly" and the other "Parton." That's a big pair.
I like big pairs too. My grandpa use to say that "anymore than a mouth full was a waste" though..
Posted By: Tarbe Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 01/06/22
Jorge that's a nice pair!

Let me know if you decide to break them up!

I really need another 45-70 or a 45-90!
Very nice!
Very nice!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 01/07/22
Lyman 49th has a fair bit of load data for both and mostly cover the bullet weights you refer to. Reloader 7 will be your friend. If you don’t have that manual let me know what specific bullet weight and alloy and I’ll send you their data.
Posted By: crshelton Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 01/07/22
I really need another 45-70 or a 45-90!

Get the .45-90 and you will have both!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Lyman 49th has a fair bit of load data for both and mostly cover the bullet weights you refer to. Reloader 7 will be your friend. If you don’t have that manual let me know what specific bullet weight and alloy and I’ll send you their data.

Thanks, Dan. I Woody casts some teally nice 425gr gas checks for me and I obtained good results with IMR 4198. I've have good results with RL-7 with my 375 WInchester.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: I LIKE BIG PAIRS..... - 01/11/22
CRSHELTON, thank you for that very interesting story. That was quite a feat.

L.W.
© 24hourcampfire