Home
500 would probably last me a lifetime. Looking for a source for a mid 2000 production marlin.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/bullet-information/
I cast a 310 gr with GC, Lee mold for my 444's. They will shoot through a deer from any angle.
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
I cast a 310 gr with GC, Lee mold for my 444's. They will shoot through a deer from any angle.

I think I used the same mold but without the gas check. It was the best bullet that I tried.
I like to stay under 300 grains in my 444 loads except when going after UFOs and elephants. Then I go to 405 grain loads. LBT makes a 280 long flat nose bullet mold that looks like it would work well. I designed one on Mountain Mold's web site that is 290 grains and use it for my mice to moose load.
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer

I think I used the same mold but without the gas check. It was the best bullet that I tried.

Memory can play tricks on an old geezer. I looked up the group size. It was about 12 MOA. Hard to say though because one missed the paper. Give me a break, that was about 45 years ago. Sorry to have mislead.
I've got the Lee mold and a Ranch Dog mold made by NOE. The Ranch dog is the best bullet mold money can buy for the 444 IMO
260gr with GC on the left. 280gr PB to the right. 280gr should handle most anything with the exception of the big bears. If your rifle is a Marlin with the 1/36 twist it may not handle a bullet heavier than the 280gr. If it's a Win 94 it will have a 1/20 twist & will easily handle the 310gr bullet.

Attached picture 44 bullets 260 & 280 001.JPG
Yucon 254 Is right about the Ranch Dog bullet design. He came up with a winner when he designed those bullets. They were especially designed to work in a marlin with its short throat. I never heard a bad report on them.
© 24hourcampfire