Home
Posted By: GuideGun Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/08/22
Finally got around to finishing my Marlin 1895 project I've wanted to do for a long time. It started life as a JM Stamped 1895GS. I had Rick Steinhour of Extreme Rifle Works install a set of MPI ultralight kevlar stocks. Rick also cut the barrel to 16.25" and recrowned it. Rick beadblasted the metalwork for me as well. I had previously installed a RPP medium loop lever, RPP trigger, and a RPP loading gate. The whole package weighs 7lbs on the nose all up with a 1.5-5 VX3 and Talley steel mounts. Rick was a gentleman to deal with; great communication and transparency, quick turnaround, great price, and great work. Would highly recommend him and he's a wizard at working with MPI stocks. Second picture shows overall length compared to a Kimber Montana 84M with a 24" barrel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: beretzs Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/09/22
Great looking rifle GG. There is alot to like about that handy hammer!
Posted By: marlinshooter1 Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/09/22
That came out nice, going to be nice packing that around the wood's. I didn't know MPI made stock's for lever's.
Posted By: iskra Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/13/22
Different strokes for different folks... is what makes the world go round! Not my cup of tea, but certainly can share in your enthusiasm!
Best!
John
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/13/22
How much weight did you get trimmed total? Link to the stock you had installed?

I have a Guide Gun with the laminate stock. Dropping some weight would make it handier.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/13/22
Sorry to see a 1895GS gone for ever....
I can only imagine the muzzle blast and recoil now
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/13/22
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
How much weight did you get trimmed total? Link to the stock you had installed?

I have a Guide Gun with the laminate stock. Dropping some weight would make it handier.

Total weight loss was 15oz.

https://mpicustomstocks.com/?fbclid=IwAR2eDnnpwK49pgvsbqz7F9xNQJkjKVIZMwQe3t2_kPLOKs2voFaMYj7pjNc

That is MPIs website.

Here is Rick Steinhours:

https://www.extremerifleworks.com/
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/13/22
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Sorry to see a 1895GS gone for ever....
I can only imagine the muzzle blast and recoil now

Can hardly imagine 2" of barrel making that much difference. And I don't hotrod my .45-70 either, so I'm not worried about recoil. In fact, with the kevlar construction and stock ergos, the recoil may feel slightly better.

YMMV.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Custom Marlin 1895 - 11/14/22
With hot loads I'd bet it's brutal on the ears and shoulder. No thanks
© 24hourcampfire