Home
Posted By: ursus57 New Marlin 1895MR - 03/07/04
Just got back from sighting in a new Marlin 1895MR (shooting Hornady 350 factory loads) and wanted to pass along how pleased I am with the results.

Installed a Leupold 2-7x33 this past week and couldn't wait to get out this weekend. After getting sighted in, I put up a fresh target to try the first 3 shot group, which came in at 1.5 inches center-to-center. The baby's a shooter! My father-in-law is a Winchester fan & collector, and he was favorably impressed.

The kick wasn't bad at all. I've been hunting with a Gamemaster 760 in .30-06 for the past 30 years, and didn't notice enough difference to give me pause.

Can't wait to get in the field!
Posted By: Greyghost Re: New Marlin 1895MR - 03/07/04
Won't be far behind you. Recently purchased one myself but still into the waiting period.

Phil
Posted By: rick_g Re: New Marlin 1895MR - 03/09/04
I just picked up a 45-70 1895 and put on a Leupie 1.5-5x20 vari-x III. Took it out shooting and shot pretty close to moa. The recoil was quite noticeable, but I had shoulder surgery in Dec. and my shoulder is still pretty raw. I had a recoil pad and a 2" piece of foam over my shoulder, and after 20 rounds, it was still pretty sore. It is an ablsolute blast to shoot, and I am eagerly anticipating next deer season.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: New Marlin 1895MR - 05/23/04
I was pleasantly surprised when mounting my "Talley" rings and bases on the new Marlin 1895MR, to find that it is already drilled and taped for 8-40 screws. I thought I was going to have to drill and tap my self. I did have to shorten the screws quite a bit. But that wasn't any problem. Haven't had it to the range yet. But the whole thing came out looking pretty good. And no porting on this one.

Phil
© 24hourcampfire