Home
I just bought a 1895 Winchester and was wondering if anyone has put a Williams FP sight on one. I think the model FP-71 is suppose to fit it. Thanks for any input...Chuck
I have a reproduction of the Lyman 38 on my '95. I actually think I would prefer the model 21:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7197.html

These sights work great and help keep your rifle looking original.

405wcf
I'm not impressed with the Lyman 38 site, to much hanging on the side of the rifle. If you are patient you can find an all steel Redfield reciever made back in the 30s, 40s 50s new on Ebay.

Jim
Thanks for the information guys, I've been off-line for the past week and haven't been able to reply, bad cable modem. Thanks again for the helpfull information....Chuck
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I just bought a 1895 Winchester and was wondering if anyone has put a Williams FP sight on one. I think the model FP-71 is suppose to fit it. Thanks for any input...Chuck

Yes the fp71 is the proper reciever sight for the newly manufactured 95.
I had a AO peep installed on the bolt and their front sight put on as well. Mine was not D&T for a receiver sight.
The addition of a recoil pad was money well spent.
Love my 405 WCF, and the 300 gr. Kodiaks work very well.
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Yes the fp71 is the proper reciever sight for the newly manufactured 95.

I picked up a FP 71 a few years ago for my 1895 Winchester and it does require drilling.
Originally Posted by DPhillips
[
I picked up a FP 71 a few years ago for my 1895 Winchester and it does require drilling.

shonuff, but if you look at the ones made in the last 3 or 4 years, they are drilled and tapped for the receiver sight,and the fp71 is the correct sized sight, even if it's the older new manufactured model that needs drilling and tapping.
The Williams 30-30 sight fits my new Model 95 30-06 Carbine. The new guns are drilled and tapped btw.
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by DPhillips
[

shonuff, but if you look at the ones made in the last 3 or 4 years, they are drilled and tapped for the receiver sight,and the fp71 is the correct sized sight, even if it's the older new manufactured model that needs drilling and tapping.

My 1895 was one of the Miroku's chambered for .270 Winchester, which has been built to a 411 Hawk. Not saying anything bad about the FP-71, it is a fine sight and I enjoy mine. But it did require drilling the receiver. Us older guys do appreciate a peep sight and I do enjoy this one. What's not to like? Drilling, if you have to pay a 'smith to do it, is what, $35? Not a bad price to pay for old age, er I mean, arms that shorten over time...
Hmmmm, my late model SRC came D&T from the factory for a Williams etc...My favorite is the ladder arm sliding peep of yesteryear, and some outfit still makes them. That would be a neat set up on the newer guns and it utilizes the existing front screw of the 95s....

Edit: BTW I used the Williams peep to sight my rifle in, then cut a shallow V ( I prefer the V)in the factory barrel sights to match the Williams sight picture, then took the williams off and my factory irons are 1 inch high at 100 yards, without a change made at the range..Worked pretty good.
I have one of the Providence Arms reproduction Lyman #21 on my Miroku Repro rifle. It did require drilling & tapping. It is not as easy to adjust as the Foolproof sights, but looks much better and once adjusted shoots well. With the quick release elevation adjustor you can experiment and learn how to quickly readjust for varying ranges.
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I have a reproduction of the Lyman 38 on my '95. I actually think I would prefer the model 21:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7197.html

These sights work great and help keep your rifle looking original.

405wcf

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire