Home
At the 2011 S.H.O.T., Winchester reintroduced the .348 Model 71 lever-action rifle - made in Japan by Miroku, of course.
Complete with tang safety, and most likely a rebounding hammer.

Here's the S.H.O.T. video, from Winchester's website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymu_KyPq110&feature=player_embedded

Did I understand correctly it has a PLASTIC lever?
Originally Posted by Tracks
Did I understand correctly it has a PLASTIC lever?

No, he said "classic". Now if they only offered the ammo at a price guys could afford!!
If you don't have gray or silver hair, you most likely will have by the time the ammo gets to your local dealer....Dah!
Now that is just what guy from the USA wants to hear from Winchester..........MADE IN JAPAN!!! Hell No savy.
Its not made here but Miroku makes really good stuff.Remember the Browning 92's.
Price 1500.00 + ?
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Price 1500.00 + ?

If your looking for a good shooter 71, that's still not any more than what you would pay around here for an original in good shape.
Midway lists both Grizzly and Buffalo Bore 348 ammo as 'available'. Both listings are around $75.
Originally Posted by Tonk
Now that is just what guy from the USA wants to hear from Winchester..........MADE IN JAPAN!!! Hell No savy.

Every Winchester/Browning lever action made in the last 30 years has been made in Japan except the M94 and now that is too. I wish they were made here too, but my Browning 1886 locks up like a vault and very smoothly I'd say.
I will not own a gun made by the japs. They started ww2 and killed my uncle.

Long ago I wanted one of those Winchester M71's. A deluxe of course. What with them being an iron sight gun, expensive and scarce I never did find one at a discount.

Perhaps its just as well. I don't buy guns to make money on them however I would have 'made money on that one'.

Cabela's sent me a flyer yesterday and I also got a "shooting catalog" today. There were several pictures of various models that Winchester was going to make a limited run on and that model 71 was priced at 1,500 dollars.
Ah browning has figured out how to pry open the wallets of the retired old guys who remember the model 71.

I'm not retired and only semi-old, but my wallet's creaking at the hinges trying to stay shut.....

M71s and M64s are almost irresistible to me.
They never interested me untill I shouldered one about a year ago, (an early production 3 digit serial number speciman to be exact) Started reading up on the gun and the cartridge and i'm hooked!
If you want one you better call your dealer and get it ordered. They only make the number of these ShotShow specials that they get orders for.. They're not regular production.
Cabela's sent me a flyer yesterday and I also got a "shooting catalog" today. There were several pictures of various models that Winchester was going to make a limited run on and that model 71 was priced at 1,500 dollars.

You must have a special edition shooting catalog, because the 2 of them I've got so far shows only the 94 with button magazine and chamber in 38-55 as the only 50th anniversary levergun....
i just saw a nice deluxe at a gunshow yesterday for $1400 and was sorely tempted but picked up a kit gun smith instead. another guy had a bunch of 348 factory shells for $45/box. i saw it as almost an omen but resisted anyway. i don't know a lot about the 71's other than my old neighbor has one and it is slick as heck. and the 348 seems like a ideal deer cartridge.
It was thought well of as a thick country elk cal. too.
They are tempting. I'm more a Marlin fan than a Winchester fan, but that is one Winchester that looks good. I've always had an interest in the 348.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I will not own a gun made by the japs. They started ww2 and killed my uncle.

Long ago I wanted one of those Winchester M71's. A deluxe of course. What with them being an iron sight gun, expensive and scarce I never did find one at a discount.

Perhaps its just as well. I don't buy guns to make money on them however I would have 'made money on that one'.

You buy more Japanese stuff than you can imagine....got any electronics in your house? WWII has been over for a while......get over it.
"WWII has been over for a while.'

I think we won that one, didn't we? Made'em surrender, if I recall correctly. We shoulda done the same thing to the North Koreans.

Savage_99,
Sorry you lost your uncle. I can understand you carryin' a grudge on account of something like that. Just remember..we avenged your uncle with 2 bombs. Your country TCB'ed on that.
For what Win is asking for these, wait time, and tang safety; you can usually find a like new Browning 71 and still have enough $ left to buy reloading tools!

405wcf
I'm pretty sure you can pick up original standard model 71 rifles for around $1500 still. They might not be pristine but they will at least be a "WINCHESTER" !!! crazy Don
Those who grouse about a buying a Japanese made rifle might want to look at their work first. The finest made rifle (and THE most accurate) I've ever owned was a Weatherby Mk.V (Japanese manufactured) .270 WM. I won't even tell you how well that gun shot for fear of being ridiculed. Fit and finish were absolutely superb. If I had an extra $1,500 lay'n around in my gun budget, I'd buy one of those '71s in a heart beat.

PC
Peter, Nothing wrong with a japanese rifle for a hunting rifle,my point is an original Winchester 71 will not only shoot well, but it will retain its value as an investment also. Don
There is no pride, common sense or logic to buy a jap made gun. They have helped put many of our manufactures out of business and this is after starting World War Two, killing, maiming and torturing untold numbers of innocent woman, children and men.

[Linked Image]
There is no pride, common sense or logic to buy a jap made gun. They have helped put many of our manufactures out of business and this is after starting World War Two, killing, maiming and torturing untold numbers of innocent woman, children and men.

Yup and lets all stand up and cheer for what the United States Government did for the Native peoples of the North American continent. It was so wonderful the way those Indians were treated....
Sheesh don't look at the sticker on the backside of your computer.
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Yup and lets all stand up and cheer for what the United States Government did for the Native peoples of the North American continent. It was so wonderful the way those Indians were treated....
Sheesh don't look at the sticker on the backside of your computer.

Getting way off topic, but what else is new around here? Fact is the White man didn't do anything to the American Indians or the Africans that their own people didn't do to them first. (Slavery, wars, pushing one tribe off of certain land, etc.)

Back to the point, I'd rather have an original as well. Hopefully one of these days I will...

[Linked Image]

Or car, or truck!
Originally Posted by cal74
[Getting way off topic, ...

Take it up with Savage 99 he's twice in this thread shown he's a dumbass and don't know history or know Germany started World War 2.
The Japs attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941. By this time WW2 had been going on since 1939. Here's the kicker, our people had broken the Japanese code, and were monitoring their communications. The only people surprised by Pearl Harbor were the the poor dumb bastards sacrificed so Americans would be pissed enough to go to war.
Previous to this event, America suspended sales of scrap metal to Japan. Japan, having little in the way of steel manufacturing, was heavily dependent upon those sales. Analysts knew it would pressure the Island nation.
Wake was another giveaway. The Japs had their hands full with the spirited defense put up by the small American garrison, but the brass, and the navy, decided to let them hang.
Lots of Americans were killed by the Japanese in WW2. How many of these deaths happened because of strategic choices made by American high command? Most, if not all.
A soldier cannot decide their fate, they do as they are ordered to do, even if these orders mean they will be sacrificed, and killed.
By the way, the same holds true for the Japs.
Our manufacturing has been off shored because the geniuses who run manufacturing care more about their own profit than the well being of their country. It just so happens that they have bought American politicians to make it all happen.
I'm not happy that most of the Winchester offerings are imports, but the truth is that these imports really are well made, well functioning examples.
Miroku uses premium steel, and their fit and finish is very well executed.
No, these will never match the craftsmanship of the real Winchester 71 made by Americans hands, but then those hands are long gone, as is the factory they were made in.
The people who run our land, in the USA have let Japan and others buy up realistate and let manufacturers move plants out of our country to Japan (Steel Industry back in the mid 70's) We purchase more than you think from those countries. Just don't ever forget Dec. 7 1941 and remember their sacrifice!

Nowdays try buying something with a tag on it that says made in the USA!
Originally Posted by Mak
The Japs attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941. By this time WW2 had been going on since 1939. Here's the kicker, our people had broken the Japanese code, and were monitoring their communications. The only people surprised by Pearl Harbor were the the poor dumb bastards sacrificed so Americans would be pissed enough to go to war.

Historical urban legend at it's worst. We were decoding about one word in ten all the way through 1942. While I'll agree we should have seen this coming we did not have their codes broken to the extent it would have given us a date certain for the attack. The only thing we knew for sure was about twelve hours before the attack when the jap embassy was told to destroy all their encoding gear. At Wake Island the Navy had indeed launched a relief force but when Major Deveraux sent out a very poorly worded message "situation still in doubt" and nothing else, CINCPAC though they were on the verge of losing and with only one operational carrier at the time, we pulled back. I can't fault you for not buying jap stuff, no problem at all, but your historical perspective is totally off the mark.
%
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by cal74
[Getting way off topic, ...

Take it up with Savage 99 he's twice in this thread shown he's a dumbass and don't know history or know Germany started World War 2.

Germany started the war....but Japan brought the US into the war.. it all started for the US when Japan attacked, so to some people of the US may view Japan as "Starting" the war and they are not totally incorrect.
My son inherited an original 71 from my ex father in law. He sold it for $150 to raise money for a down payment on his house.
Wish i could come across a deal like that!!! $150...next you will tell us it was like new.....
Originally Posted by Mak
Previous to this event, America suspended sales of scrap metal to Japan. Japan, having little in the way of steel manufacturing, was heavily dependent upon those sales. Analysts knew it would pressure the Island nation.
Wake was another giveaway. The Japs had their hands full with the spirited defense put up by the small American garrison, but the brass, and the navy, decided to let them hang.
Lots of Americans were killed by the Japanese in WW2. How many of these deaths happened because of strategic choices made by American high command? Most, if not all.
A soldier cannot decide their fate, they do as they are ordered to do, even if these orders mean they will be sacrificed, and killed.
By the way, the same holds true for the Japs.
Our manufacturing has been off shored because the geniuses who run manufacturing care more about their own profit than the well being of their country. It just so happens that they have bought American politicians to make it all happen.
I'm not happy that most of the Winchester offerings are imports, but the truth is that these imports really are well made, well functioning examples.
Miroku uses premium steel, and their fit and finish is very well executed.
No, these will never match the craftsmanship of the real Winchester 71 made by Americans hands, but then those hands are long gone, as is the factory they were made in.

If you want to recite ww 2 history you may want to look at September 1931. Look at the entire war not just the part that makes your personal point.

8mmwapiti
It is accepted history that the Japanese code was broken before the Pearl Harbor attack. WW2 began in 1939, NOT 1931. If you want to be a smart ass, at least your dates correct.
Originally Posted by Mak
It is accepted history that the Japanese code was broken before the Pearl Harbor attack. WW2 began in 1939, NOT 1931. If you want to be a smart ass, at least your dates correct.

In September 1931 the Japanese invaded Manchuria and China and approximately 20 million Chinese died by the end of ww 2. But to some I have to conclude you are among them dead Chinese do not count.

And many on the fire would appreciated it (I am one of the many) if you could keep the discussion civil and not resort to the juvenile use of profanity and name calling.

8mmwapiti
I have a Japanese 1895 in 405. It's a very nicely made rifle. I am tempted by the 71. The run of 92's is tempting too.
Levers cool but I don't like the cartridge all that much
WW2 did not start with the Japanese invasion of China. WW2 started with the Nazi invasion of Poland, in 1939.
Why?
Allied powers delivered an ultimatum to Hitler to cease his aggression, or to find his Germany at war. Hitler called their bluff, and lost.
It has nothing to do with my opinion of the relative value of Chinese casualties, it has to do with the time when the allies became officially embroiled in the war.
The Japanese invasion of China did little, if anything to precipitate the declaration of war. It was the attack carried out at Pearl Harbor that drew the US into the war. The actual "urban legend" is that the Japanese code was broken shortly before the attack, but due to radio silence, the whereabouts of the imperial fleet were unknown. It was merely a happy coincidence that the carriers were sent out on "maneuvers".
However, information has come to light that radio silence was not followed, and that the imperial fleet engaged in repeated communications on the lead up to the attack. Further, it seems that the code was broken months before the attack. It may be possible to declare innocence of the top brass based on some incompetence within US intelligence spheres, however, this ignores the evidence of deliberate egging on of Imperial Japan.
Personally, my view of the Japanese invasion of China was that it resulted in the atmosphere that created Mao, who was one of the most brutal dictators ever to hold office, anywhere.
MAK,

My point is that the trade embargo ( "deliberate egging on of Imperial Japan") was put in place because of Japanese aggregations as in arming far beyond agreements and the invasion and brutal occupation of China. To do nothing would have been to supply the Japanese with the materials to continue. Not a good choice either. So to say that the invasion of China had little to do with ww 2 but to blame the embargo for contributing to it makes the assumption that the embargo was put in place for no reason at all. Japan chose to invade China, Japan chose to respond to the embargo with an attack. It was not a "world war" in 1931 but the invasion of China was war, and it was the beginning of what would turn into "world war".

FDR was in a very bad position. Knowing we (the USA) had to get into the war but needing to get Russia in first (Stalin would have likely stood by on the sidelines waiting until the rest of the world was on its knees and then had his way) or the outcome might not have been good (for our side) and not wanting to be the bad guy that got us into the war (people tend to give credit for a save but not for prevention) FDR at least wanted if not needed something to galvanize American public opinion.
Point well taken.
China in the '30's was an economic interest to the US, and Japan's invasion certainly did damage to that situation. US/ China ties were certainly close, especially when one considers the continuous US military presence there-after all, the so-called "paper tigers", who later received fame as the "Flying Tigers" were US airmen who used the outclassed P-40 to take on the imperial air force-successfully, due to their innovative tactics.
Thus, the embargo could well be understood on your terms.
Yes, FDR was unable to position America to accept war, and the dark reality was that Japan and Germany were moving toward world domination. The strategic picture was that US interests, and possibly even the US itself, was endangered by these military actions.
Stalin showed no interest in helping anyone but himself. His strategy seems to have been to play very few cards. However, operation Barbarosa in the summer of 1941 changed all that, and Russia had their hands full dealing with the Nazi invasion, months before the attack on Pearl.
One more tidbit, in 1939, two years before Pearl Harbor, FDR issued an executive order that criminalized mining for anything other than "war materials".
By the time 1941 rolled around, the mining industry was entirely focused on providing lead, antimony, zinc, copper, etc.
The case has been made by several historians that FDR took the country to war both due to axis pressures, and to escape the depression, which stubbornly lingered.
It was the unmatched industrial might of America that switched into high gear with wartime production. This production, it has been successfully argued, is responsible for pulling the nation out of the hole.
Today, this production has been hollowed out, by manufacturers, politicians, and banksters. Thus, the new 71. I'm certain it is a fine rifle. I've had some association with Miroku guns, and they are quite good. While I have yet to handle the new 71, it is doubtless worth the money, yet not one penny goes to American craftsmen, or American industrial capacity.
There is no pride, common sense or logic to buy a jap made gun.
Who gives a f*ck what you think? No one asked your dumb, f*cking ass to shell out any money for a Jap-made "Winchester" and no one's asking now.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this thread started with someone pointing out that Browning/USRAC is marketing a Winchester-branded rifle as a Model 71. I'm not for sure, but I think that's how the thread began. It wasn't a call for your ignorant-ass opinion in mangled "engrish." And trust me when I state NO ONE GIVES A F*CK WHAT YOU THINK.

You may now go back to posting the obvious, inane, and generally half-assed opinions on Ruger No. 1s, Mannlichers, and other sh*t on which you've commented that has made everyone roll their eyes.
Back to the '71. Don't need a new one... got an old one.

First year production deluxe model.

[Linked Image]
Hey, Whitebird, want to trade for a nice Browning?
I got a few original ones in this cabinet! smile Don

[Linked Image]
Sir, you have a collection any man would admire!
Just A Hunter.........Now sir, this is exactly why we don't have any damn jobs in this country today. I for one will never Own a rifle made in JAPAN.

Now until people in the USA "wake up" and buy American only or just go without until a US company does make the product we as a nation will continue our plight downward as the nation we used to be back in the 1960's.

This is also why I owned Marlin's instead understand. My father and uncle would turn over in their grave if I ever purchased a rifle, pistol etc made in JAPAN.
Just A Hunter.........Now sir, this is exactly why we don't have any damn jobs in this country today. I for one will never Own a rifle made in JAPAN.

Now until people in the USA "wake up" and buy American only or just go without until a US company does make the product we as a nation will continue our plight downward as the nation we used to be back in the 1960's.

This is also why I owned Marlin's instead understand. My father and uncle would turn over in their grave if I ever purchased a rifle, pistol etc made in JAPAN.
How do you know the materials or any sub-assemblies aren't made in Japan?

Dumbass.
Bricktop...........the only "Dumbass" on this forum is YOU [bleep] For Brains!!!
Bricktop...........the only "Dumbass" on this forum is YOU [bleep] For Brains!!!
And your posts and PMs are so, so, so......"eloquent."

Go back to sniffing bicycle seats, little man. No one has time for your thoughts on living in a two-story double wide.
Bridkyard........there you go once again with your blanket statements made to my residence. You make me laugh and almost spill my coffee. Now just so you now Mr. Dirty Face, I pay over $3,400 dollars a year just in taxes on my residence and it is all brick Boy wonder.
Bridkyard........there you go once again with your blanket statements made to my residence. You make me laugh and almost spill my coffee. Now just so you now Mr. Dirty Face, I pay over $3,400 dollars a year just in taxes on my residence and it is all brick Boy wonder.
As stated in my most recent reply to your threat-laced, sophomoric PMs, I realize you wish you were more like me. However, as long as you keep screwing your sister, that probably won't happen.
Brickyard (bricktop) there were no threats sent to you via a PM message but I will have you taken down a notch or two in the comming days.
Brickyard (bricktop) there were no threats sent to you via a PM message but I will have you taken down a notch or two in the comming days.
Really? You sure about all of that, dickhead?

Here's the first PM you sent:

Pal you need to pull your head out of your ass and research the facts concerning MARLIN GUN.

So don't start that crap with me or you just might end up with a attitude adjustment sooner than you can say jackrabbit.

IRISH MIKE FLANIGAN.....46-5-1 The real deal sport!
You won't be taking me or anyone else "down a notch," "pal." Your "threats" are like your head -- empty. And your ability to do or communicate anything effective to those ends is laughable. To say the least.

Here, I found your clan's family reunion video. I think that's you dancing in there, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Whitebird
Back to the '71. Don't need a new one... got an old one.

First year production deluxe model.

[Linked Image]

Damn that's a fine piece of wood and steel!
It is a grand looking lever gun indeed!
Also a new 45-70 Extra Light but also with the GD tang safe and rebounding hammer.
If any of you guys want a 348, I am selling a browning I have had for a very short while.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5017216/1

its also on GB if you would prefer that route.
micky
I certainly would not be critical of the quality of Jap products; however, I have not purchased any till I ABSOLUTELY
had to because that particular product was not made here any-
more. Two points to reflect on are---(1) Putting Americans out
of work, AND (2) WE have to pay increased taxes for welfare,
food stamps and other 'bene's' for those out of work.
Take a ride in your Toyotas, give it some thought and pray for
America.
Contender, YES I agree buy AMERICAN and SAVE AMERICA!!!

Well, I don't and won't own a Honda, Toyota or Roll Royce either.LOL
Originally Posted by contender
Take a ride in your Toyotas, give it some thought and pray for
America.
So is it okay to own a Mexican-made Ford, GM or Chrysler? You know, because they're so "American."
Well Jigger, glad to see you came out of closet! I forgot about you not being patriotic Digger!!! You remind me of someone I used to watch on TV years ago, just can't think of that kids name, he had the same hair-doo as you have I believe. Oh yes, "Little Rascals" great show! Yes a striking resemblence I must say.

In case those besides Brickyard Jigger don't understand, the American automible company's keep their money or profits made, in this country. A so called Toy-yo yo or Honda-bon da ships all their profits out to JAPAN!!!
Brick: Are the 'American' brands made fully in Mexico? The ones
I have purchased seem to indicate only some of the parts are
imported. I also realize that some foreign label cars are made here. I would think tho, that the CEO's, top brass and majority
of shareholders are paying taxes here, with at least some of the
money filtering down to help the jobless and less fortunate. I don't think the same
could be said in regard to the 'foreign' brands.
If I can help at least one less fortunate American I will do so.
It is funny however, that when I go to the local Salvation Army
or food pantry with canned goods/donations that I see so many
(well you know what kind of cars parked outside). I sometimes
wonder 'what can they be thinking?'. That won't stop me from
doing what I think is right.
My platitudes will now cease.---Adios
Brick: Are the 'American' brands made fully in Mexico? The ones
I have purchased seem to indicate only some of the parts are
imported. I also realize that some foreign label cars are made here. I would think tho, that the CEO's, top brass and majority
of shareholders are paying taxes here, with at least some of the
money filtering down to help the jobless and less fortunate. I don't think the same
could be said in regard to the 'foreign' brands.
If I can help at least one less fortunate American I will do so.
It is funny however, that when I go to the local Salvation Army
or food pantry with canned goods/donations that I see so many
(well you know what kind of cars parked outside). I sometimes
wonder 'what can they be thinking?'. That won't stop me from
doing what I think is right.
My platitudes will now cease.---Adios
You're nothing short of a f*cking idiot.

The last Ford I owned had a Japanese transmission (made by Mazda), a Canadian-made engine, the wiring harness and every piece of electronics gear was made in Brazil, but it was "assembled" in Missouri so that some piece of dogshit like you would believe it was "made" in the U.S.A.

Am I also to believe from your incredibly moronic "logic" that you believe "the CEO's, top brass and majority of shareholders are paying taxes here" and thereby subsidizing the rest of us poor unfortunates? What a f*cking dickhead.
Are the 'American' brands made fully in Mexico?

I bought a brand new Chevroler Suburban in 2004 and it was 'Made in Mexico'.
The Tsunami may have put a hold on the new M71 - we'll see soon. As to American made foreign cars and foreign made American cars: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story...amMade0710&referer=&aff=national
Brick!!! Lighten up bro! No need to turn a discussion/point of
view thing into something where your getting tense. I checked
my window stickers and my vehicles are 88% & 81%; so I guess
I'll give you your due. Didn't mean to upset you or 'rattle your
cage' over a 'point of view'. If someones point of view is 180 degrees
out of sync with mine, that's OK, 'cause that's what America is
all about(at least for the time being)'. Hope you think about
'lightening up', it's not worth getting a coronary over a bunch
of relatively insignificant stuff.
That's about it for me on this post---hope to read your shooting/
hunting expertise on another post.
P.S.-Like I said above, 'I got your drift'; but, you might want to add a few more adjectives to your posts.
Brick-Jigger! Your the one on this forum that is an IDIOT, Dumb as little rocks pal. Let's start buying back the U.S.A. people!!!

Brick-Jigger is very limited in his vocabulary, mostly 4 letter words out in his posts, what one would expect out of a Ghetto raised kid with a black is beautiful face and corn curls in his hair, right Jigger-Digger. LOL

back to the model 71 . A friend just picked up a nice old one for 950.00 dollars in a local gun shop .Thats what I call falling in a bucket of crap and turning up a pice of gold
Brick-Jigger! Your the one on this forum that is an IDIOT, Dumb as little rocks pal. Let's start buying back the U.S.A. people!!!

Brick-Jigger is very limited in his vocabulary, mostly 4 letter words out in his posts, what one would expect out of a Ghetto raised kid with a black is beautiful face and corn curls in his hair, right Jigger-Digger. LOL
You been drinking Sterno again?
Hey BT, next he'll be telling you that shipping a gun via USPS is illegal ! LOL!

All my three MOPARS (97', 01 and 05') have Made in Mexico proudly displayed on the door.

Hmmm, maybe just the door was made in Mex-he-co by wannabewetbacks, the rest made in DEEEEtroit by real wetbacks ?
Hey John BOY! Say Dude, you gots them Jerry Curls too?

Sounds like 2 Jiggers in the wood pile trying to get up the nerve to hightail it back to the cotton field. LOL
© 24hourcampfire