Home
Posted By: crshelton Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/02/11
This bison hunt was my one-month-early birthday present. I have been wanting to take a bison with my Miroku Winchester .45-90 since I bought it new a few years back. Since I had not loaded any cast 405 grain bullets for the hunt, my PH friend suggested that I use the 450 grain Kodiak FN FMJ bullets left over from his African bullet testing hunt with my rifle. So, I said sure, only 50 grains different, right? blush
Bottom line was that 1/2 inch holes in the ribs and lungs do not impress a bison much and it took one just under the spine to even get its attention. It must not have liked us getting within 50 yards, so it took off running left to right and rather than wait for it to die from internal bleeding, I put one of the big flat nosed bullets right on the shoulder and it piled up in a big Bison heap. This impressive reaction to the shot caused Joe to use his mobile phone to call the loader of his custom ammo to find out the muzzle velocity from the 26 inch octagon barrel; after a brief pause he relayed to me that the MV was 2150 fps! No wonder the solid shoulder hit brought it down.

[Linked Image]

Well, the medallions of backstrap are delicious. Sunday night, the night before my actual birthday, the ladies of the house treated me to the medallions with gravy, wild rice with mushrooms, salad, wine, and for desert, a Texas peanut butter pan cake with chocolate sauce drizzled on it and a side of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream.
And me with no after-dinner cigar!

Makes me want to go shoot something! smirk
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/02/11
Happy Birthday! We're still enjoying our bison. In fact, we grilled the tenderloin the other day and it was magnificent. Mine went down relatively easy. Shot it with a Sharps 110 @ 92 yards with approx 1350 MV and 475gr Parker Hale greaser. I just went right up the foreleg on the shoulder and whack. Hit the jucture of the spine and it went right down right there.
Congratulations Sir and happy B-Day, sounds like a fun time was had by all.
Grab 'em when You can, lord knows they dont come around often enough grin

Gunner

edit: spelling
Posted By: temmi Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/02/11
Happy B day...

We are almost out of Bison from last Christmas...

Mine went down from one 85yd shot from my 450 Marlin...

Time to do it again....

Posted By: eh76 Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/28/11
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Happy Birthday! We're still enjoying our bison. In fact, we grilled the tenderloin the other day and it was magnificent. Mine went down relatively easy. Shot it with a Sharps 110 @ 92 yards with approx 1350 MV and 475gr Parker Hale greaser. I just went right up the foreleg on the shoulder and whack. Hit the jucture of the spine and it went right down right there.

[Linked Image]
eh76,
That is some wide open country behind you. Does this make for an interesting stalk to get into range for an iron sighted big bore?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/28/11
cr: apperarance is deceiving, and maybe eh or Et can post better pics, but we were up on a small rock butte. The area is full of ravines and small hills so stalking was not that big of a challenge.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/28/11
Jorge's shooting position wuz exactly to the left of the sheepherder's monument
e[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/29/11
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/29/11
grinMan,I don't care how many times I look at the pictures of that part of Wyoming, I NEVER get tired of them!!! To me that area is breathtaking! grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/29/11
That much country without pavement on it is a good thing......
Posted By: temmi Re: Bison For Birthday Dinner - 08/31/11
Very nice....

Should be in Texas
© 24hourcampfire