Home
I can't find them anywhere, did Remington stop production?
I see that Graf's show them as currently out of stock. Normally when they list a bullet as out of stock it will return to stock when a shipment arrives. When the bullet is discontinued they drop the listing form their website. I ordered a bulk order of them about 18 months ago and had to wait a while for them to come into stock. Call Graf's, they can tell you for sure.
I noticed Midway shows "out of stock" "no backorder" and date expected 3/21/12. The no backorder statement is confusing but I agree, I would expect a company to remove the listing if the product is discontinue.

I would like to try the 405's in my Guide Gun.
It's too bad they aren't cheap any more. I bought a few hundred 10 years ago and still have most of them. A lee factory crimp die works well for this bullet.
Graf's said they placed their order July of last year.

Remington said they don't even have them on the production schedule but do not believe they are discontinued.
Try the Speer 400. I use the two brands interchangeably in my Marlin, went to the Remington because they were a lot cheaper and all I shoot is paper with my 45/70 anyway. I use the same load of IMR3031 with either bullet and they are equally accurate (scary accurate) out of my M1895 levergun.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Try the Speer 400. I use the two brands interchangeably in my Marlin, went to the Remington because they were a lot cheaper and all I shoot is paper with my 45/70 anyway. I use the same load of IMR3031 with either bullet and they are equally accurate (scary accurate) out of my M1895 levergun.

You say you usethe same load for both, Do they shoot to the same point of aim?
thanks tom

BTW the in stock date at Midway on the rem 405's is now May 7.2012
Tom, Identical; I can tell no difference at all. My load is either the Speer 400 or the Remington 405, 50.0 grains of IMR-3031, Remington 9-1/2 LR primers loaded in R-P, W-W, or *-* cases. OAL is 2.540", velocity is 1645 fps avg (taken at 83 humid degrees). I did try the CCI-200 as a substitute primer once and the groups opened up (the above load will consistently shoot 1-1/2 MOA), I went back to the REM 9-1/2 and it performs best with either bullet in my Marlin M1895.
Originally Posted by RDW
Depending upon how many you need, I may be able to help you out. PM me for details.
Tom, Been awhile since I loaded 45-70,but my notes are about the same as Odessa's. I always use CCI primers though.

Vince
Thanks Vince,

how have you been?

tom
Thanks Odessa

tom

+1

Still have some 405's left but you never know.
I still have most of a bag of 100, but I will be looking into the speer 400's. tom

Same here.
I started shooting 405gr cast because I could never find the Rem's. Oregon Trail 405's over either 40.0grs RL7 or 28grs IMRsr4759.

The one outside the group was from a clean bore.

[Linked Image]
Not sure if they truly have em,..But [b][color:#3333FF]Cabelas shows they have some[/color][/b] if you order 500... eek

Got a buddy that needs some..?
Midway now shows then out of stock no backorder.

glad I ordered the speers lol tom
Originally Posted by Naphtali
Originally Posted by RDW
Depending upon how many you need, I may be able to help you out. PM me for details.

I appreciate the offer but I don't want to start loading them and not be able to get them later.
Need to ask a question. Since the Remmies appear to be no longer available, or soon fixin' to be, if you slow the Speer's down do they penetrate as reliably as the Remington's, or close to it, or are they too soft?
After the first seasom of hunting with jacketed slugs for the 45-70. I read an article abour how easy, cheap, and accurate cast slugs were. I've accumulated a half dozen molds over the years and have never shot another jacketed bullet thru either of my 45-70s.
A 405 or 445 grain air cooled cast bullet brings down a deer at most any range that you could see still the animal. I've never had leading in either rifle, but then I size the slugs .459.
Since I make my own, I don't have to worry about anybody else's production.

Jim
I'm going the cast route too. Got one mold on order right now
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Not sure if they truly have em,..But [b][color:#3333FF]Cabelas shows they have some[/color][/b] if you order 500... eek

Got a buddy that needs some..?

I hardly ever order much less than 500.

Cause I weigh and sort them

Snake
I have no interest whatsoever in casting bullets, they are too cheap to order. I have about 250 out of 500 Oregon Trails 405 wide nose flat points on hand.

Cabela's do not list the 405's, they have some 300's on backorder.

The only downside to Oregon Trail is that they only offer one diameter - .459". Many Marlins need a .460" bullet for proper fit. In the past, since I drive through Baker City, Oregon often, I would order some unsized, unlubed 405gr from Oregon Trail. They ran around .461" and shot fine with my homemade lube.

But I'm still working through 500 Remington 405gr JSP - a very good bullet.
[b][color:#3333FF]Cabelas shows[/color][/b] they have the 405's in stock again, by the 100 or 500..
I can't see any reason to shoot jacketed bullets in the 45-70, unless, of course, you like throwing .25 cents plus every time you shoot.
A cast bullet is just as accurate and a whole bunch cheaper!

Jim
Originally Posted by arkypete
I can't see any reason to shoot jacketed bullets in the 45-70, unless, of course, you like throwing .25 cents plus every time you shoot.
A cast bullet is just as accurate and a whole bunch cheaper!

Jim

That's almost true.

After you've gone through the work of finding the right bullet and load - then yes, it is cheaper and just as accurate.
dla

I've used the same load for 30 some odd years. All I need do is adjust the reciver sight one or two clicks up or down, left or right.

Jim
I found 190 Remington 405's and a partial box of Hornady 350's on the classifieds and decided to get them. If the rifle likes the Remington's, I will probably switch to Speer 400 SP's, they were not in stock the last I looked.

Jim,

The cost argument can be applied to almost every rifle and load, personally, I don't shoot thousands of 45-70 a year, not even hundreds so the cost of jacketed is not an issue.

What is your cast load?

Poking an elk instead of a deer might be a good idea for jacketed bullets
© 24hourcampfire