Home
Any experiences with heavy cast bullets (300+ grain) in the 444 marlin Micro barrel?
This is a 1:38" twist BTW.
Thanks
Try MO. Some guy as a "safari grade" 444 thing going on.
Had one years ago and battled it constantly with digesting cast bullets.My new one with Ballard barrel has no issues however.
I shoot the Beartooth 330gr .432 diameter with a charge of H322 out of a 444S. I have to launch it a bit over 2000fps to get good accuracy. Recoil is pretty stiff. I slugged the barrel to see which diameter bullet to get. I understand the barrels with Ballard rifling aren't velocity sensitive as the Microgroove barrels are to get good accuracy with heavy bullets.
thank you fellas
Marshall Stanton has done some work with heavy cast bullets in both Microgroove and Ballard rifled barrels. His conclusions (along with other folks) are that as long as those bullets are safely pushed fast, say above 2000fps, that accuracy is good and bullets will stabilize. I would check out his work as it is excellant reference material.
Originally Posted by Fotis
Any experiences with heavy cast bullets (300+ grain) in the 444 marlin Micro barrel?
This is a 1:38" twist BTW.
Thanks

A 265 gr Hornady flat point and a big charge of RL-7 will make that micro-groove run like a Singer sewing machine.

Gunner
I do think a "ballard" barrel is more forgiving, but I've done well enough with microgroove when I used hard cast and a tight fit. Go about .002 over bore, and I think you will be fine.

I agree with Strider. I shoot cast bullets is Micro-groove barrel and can see no measurable difference. I think it's just another myth from shooters who don't want to do it right.
© 24hourcampfire