Home
Some weeks back, I purchased some .405 bullets and ammo on 24 Hour Campfire forum and promised to test the rounds loaded with Barnes TSX soon on a hog.
That was done this morning at The Boars Nest in Kenefic, Oklahoma and here is the result:
[Linked Image]

After a couple of hours of seeing hogs in the 60 to 100 pound range, a nice sized sow trotted past where I was standing hidden by a large cedar tree and I dropped it with a shot through the neck. Naturally the TSX shot through and into the sandy soil behind the pig. Now I need to fid a much larger animal for bullet testing or line up several hogs in a row. wink
Wal Mart has plenty that make the one on the ground look Vietnamese pig.

Jim
yes, but is it legal to shoot them?
"Clean-up on aisle 5. You'll also need the roll-back".
I shot a mature bull bison broadside 85 yards away with these bullets and had some bullets pass completely through. Doubt a hog will offer enough resistance to stop one from passing through unless you give it a Texas heart shot.
Good shooting CR, that one will eat good, IMHO you are set for elk, moose AND bison with that setup, CONGRATS!!!!! smile
I've never been able to get them to stay in with the hogs I've shot. Even on a 250 boar, it punched through both shoulders. Congrats, CR!
Gunner - except for the tenderloins and backstraps, this one will be breakfast sausage using the "grandkids" level of seasoning. Should be ready today.
Jorge - yes this type bullet(Barnes, Northfork, Belt Mountain, etc) tends to shoot through nearly everything we can hunt in North America. I once did recover a Northfork CPS from my .405 under the offside hide of a water buffalo AFTER it had pulverized the upper right leg bone, passed through the heart and both rib cages and the off side front shoulder. That one began falling while I levered in an unneeded second round and it hit the ground dead as a hammer. Love that penetration!
10-4, sounds good CR, I'd have to hoard a small pile of that sausage for some adult seasoning too. grin
Good job. Nice little piggy. Kind of used the hammer of Thor, though. wink
CR-Saw the thread and looks like you've got a shooter! Nice job and glad the gear is working for you.
Carp (stevek)
Steve,
You did well with your handloading!
I intend to use more of them.
© 24hourcampfire