Home
Posted By: crsides win 71 from tulsa - 04/13/17
My first trip to tulsa from SC and it was worth every 1038 mile. Had a great time. On my list was to pick up a win 71 for my son to hunt with. Deer and black bear. He likes mine and so do I. Was looking for one with an added pad or too many holes drilled, to give him to bang around on the tree stand. What I found was a 1942 short tang deluxe with bolt peep, maybe a 90 to 95% gun. I loved it. So son gets the old 71.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Charlie
Posted By: John_Havard Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/13/17
Nice!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/13/17
That's great!
Posted By: VernAK Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/13/17
Woof!.....nice rifle
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/13/17
Damn nice rifle!!!! Well done!
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/14/17
That is beautiful ! A 71 is on my bucket list.
Posted By: tmitch Re: win 71 from tulsa - 04/14/17
That one's a beauty! I have an early long tang standard. Nothin better than a 71 with a bolt peep! Congrats and enjoy! Someday I hope to find a carbine I can afford.
Posted By: crsides Re: win 71 from tulsa - 10/15/17
Trying to replace photobucket pics, but can't seem to edit the original posts, so here are some postimage.org pics of same gun.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

charlie
Posted By: WiFowler Re: win 71 from tulsa - 10/17/17
Someone has to ask . . . might as well be me. How big of hole did that Win 71 put in your pocket book? grin
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: win 71 from tulsa - 10/17/17
Sweet ! That's a REAL lever gun..
Posted By: North61 Re: win 71 from tulsa - 10/17/17
Beautiful!
Posted By: g5m Re: win 71 from tulsa - 10/25/17
Nice!
Posted By: crsides Re: win 71 from tulsa - 12/06/17
It was tagged $3400, and the dealer accepted an offer somewhat lower. I think it was a $3400 gun, so was pleased with the transaction.

this year, I found the 71 I was looking for to start with. Added coat of varnish, maybe reblue, later 1950's standard version with no checkering, buckhorn rear sights. Looks nice from 10 feet away, it was 1/3 the money.

Charlie
Posted By: gunner500 Re: win 71 from tulsa - 12/06/17
Very nice rifle, I love my old year model 1937 deluxe 71, they are hard shooting, hard killing old lever rifles, and feel like a bank vault when working the lever.
Posted By: Anjin Re: win 71 from tulsa - 12/06/17
They are out there on GunBroker, but thus far I have not succumbed, always excusing myself based on price (usually) or condition.

Right now I have all the LH Model 70s I need, believe it or not grin, but I am coming around to the idea that I now need a 71!

If I live long enough, though this is the kind of thing that keeps me going these days!

Norm
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: win 71 from tulsa - 12/06/17
Crsides: Good for you and thanks for re-posting the pictures.
They bring back "memories"!
And I must say this - "they don't make'em like they used to"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: WiFowler Re: win 71 from tulsa - 12/08/17
I have the Browning reincarnation of the 71. No complaints. I am however holding out for the 'real McCoy" so I can make use of the original bolt peep that I wrangled out of local gun show vendor for much less than it's worth. (The Browning 71 does not have the bolt slotted for the bolt peep).
© 24hourcampfire