Home
Posted By: Burleyboy Marlin 444 jm - 09/24/17
I was in the local Cabelas today and they put a used Marlin 444 18.5" ported barrel on the rack as I was standing there. It was blued with walnut stocks but was pretty clean other that the gummy R3 recoil pad still on it. The price was $339 I hadn't kept up on the price of these but it sounded good to me and it was a JM stamped gun so I went ahead and bought it. Did I do OK?

I have a Stainless 45/70 without ports that I really like so I didn't "need" it but I had a feeling it was a deal. I haven't found one for sale to compare it to so I'm not sure how I did.

Bb
Posted By: paint Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/24/17
It ought to be a fine rifle and you got it at a great price. I just don't like the ports on my Timber Carbine. Too loud for me.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/24/17

you stole it..........

Marlin 444-P goes for $900 all day long......

great rifle.....bought a new one in '99 or so.......

sold it for $1100 with Leo glass a fews ago.........
Posted By: scott_arthur Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/24/17
Grand Theft Marlin right there! You did good.
Posted By: Fischer Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/24/17
Great score. If you like it, keep it and hunt with it. If not, double your money. I had one of those and a 444S at the same time and found I preferred the longer barrel, but lots of folks love that short barreled gun and they don't come around often. Warning - The muzzle blast is much, MUCH sharper than the standard rifle, so act accordingly.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/29/17
I'll order some dies and brass and see how it shoots. I have some 270g gold dot SP's that I shoot in some of my 44 mags that should work well in this. Limbsaver is sending me a new pad to replace the gummy one. I plan on keeping it for a while. It is a 444-p.

Thanks,
Bb
Posted By: KenMi Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/30/17
I tried loading the 200 grain Barnes bullets for one (microgroove), and it shot those horrible. Tried 240 XTP's and it will shoot the center out of a bullseye. With the microgroove and their stupid 38" twist, it does best with shorter bullets on the lighter end
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Marlin 444 jm - 09/30/17
You stole that one. Great find.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Marlin 444 jm - 10/01/17
It seems The JM marlin value is really in a free fall!

This is one of the lowest price point I have heard of so far.

Congratulations!
Posted By: Anjin Re: Marlin 444 jm - 10/01/17
As I understand, Cabela's will not open its new Albuquerque store until November. I can't wait!
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Marlin 444 jm - 10/02/17
You got a smoking deal on that rifle. Nice job. I am very surprised they let it go for that price.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Marlin 444 jm - 10/02/17
You got a great deal.

Here is one of my favorite 444’s

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DeerSkinner Re: Marlin 444 jm - 11/23/17
I want of those too!
© 24hourcampfire