Home
I have handled both long and short tang. Long tang feels much better to me. Anyone actually prefer the short tang stocks? If so, please say why. Thanks.
Every guy I know that has handled both long and short tang prefers the long tang, myself included. It just feels better to me.
The Browning and other later rifles are short tang. The long tang pre-war Winchesters are finished similar to the 86 Winchesters of earlier years.
The short tang triggers on the later Winchester 71s will move-and audibly click-when the hammer is on half cock. Test your hammer....watch the trigger.........
No problem unless you are creeping up on a bear...or easing away quietly from a bear and cubs........................................
I'm just starting with the Win 71 rifles. I have both but I don't have much experiance too have any preference. Reguardless, they are beautiful and effective rifles and we're lucky to be able to have and use such rifles.

I've recently had on of my Browning 71 carbine rechambered for 348 Ack Improved. Hopefully this will be sort of an equivalent of an 35 Whelan power level in a lever gun.

It is a good improved cartridge. One of PO Ackley's favorites: it will give at least 175 FPS extra velocity for all bullet weights.
IMR 4350 and 4831 are good powders for the 348 AIMP. The 250 bonded core 250s like Woodleigh and Alaska Bullet Works really shine.
I have a 1950s Winchester 71 in that chambering. Will knock down moose or bear. Ballistics are similar to the 35 Whelen.
© 24hourcampfire