Home
For the guys that are familiar with the differences between the short and long tang models; is there a noticeable difference in perceived recoil? I had a browning 71 that I sold. Recoil was certainly noticeable. I am now going to look at a shooter prewar winchester 71. I read somewhere that part of the reasoning in change of tang length was to change comb length and perceived recoil. I have never handled a long tang version but I can't imagine being able to notice an increase in recoil between the two. What are your thoughts?
I have shot both...at deer and paper plates. As you might expect I do not remember any recoil when shooting at deer. At plates or targets off a bench I do not recall any difference.

Winchester designed the M71 to be the finest lever action rifle ever manufactured. I’ve read that the thinking behind the long tang was to strengthen the tang area of the stock and mitigate stock cracks due to recoil....
Thanks for the feedback. Poconojack, likewise I read the same that the long tang was "borrowed" from other gun makers to prevent cracking from anticipated recoil of the new caliber. The rifle I was looking at unfortunately sold. I am looking for a shooter, now as i continue searching I have to decide between an older winchester vs brownining. I am not interested in the newer winchesters. I don't care for the tang safety and rebound hammer.
© 24hourcampfire