Home
Friend of the family just gifted me 3 unopened boxes of speer 44 cal 270gr Deep Curls. Have heard of people running them in 444 loads. Have a JM 444s that I usual run the 265 Hornady FP over H 4198. Interested in hearing any loads used and how on game performance was using the speer out of the 444. Thanks
240 grain HP Deep Curls work great at book mid level loads. Heck of a lot less pounding than heavy loads give.
I Use a full recommended load of IMR-4198

[Linked Image]
I use the Speer 270 gr. DC in an H&R Handi rifle for Mississippi primitive deer season. My load uses H4198 at approx. 2100 fps. The load is accurate and hammers deer.

Brian Pearce did a pet load write up in Handloader magazine on the .444. I can't remember the issue but you can find it if you look. His article included loads and comments for the Speer.
Marlin collector forum loves them!

So do I!

I shot them in a presafety micro groove.

If you don't like em and want to sell your leavings or trade let minnow!

I can't find em anymore!
Order from Speer...

Deep Curl
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Marlin collector forum loves them!

So do I!

I shot them in a presafety micro groove.

If you don't like em and want to sell your leavings or trade let minnow!

I can't find em anymore!

Gonna load a few over different charges this weekend and shoot em this weekend. If I dont care for 'em you can have them!
Thank you!

I will trade you somebrass or whatever!
Just loaded a bunch of 240 Deep Curls, anxious to try them on paper. Seems like they would be a good deer bullet and moderate velocities. Even the biggest whitetail ain't tough enough to stop that chunk of lead!
off topic, but I have 2 boxes of 270's myself I plan to load for 44 mag rifle. Ive never ready anything bad about em. I shot a buck last year with a 240 GDHP at about 35yds with my 77/44. He didn't twitch.
Midway had the 270s on sale, plus a 20% rebate + free shipping. I just picked up 400 of them. I guess we'll see how they fly. What powders does everyone like besides H_4198?
Blue Dot and IMR 4227.
I also picked up a bunch of the 270 grain Deep Curl bullets from Midway and the rebate. Heck of a deal and got free shipping to Alaska. Going to load some up for a 94 Win. .44 mag. If I lived state side I would use them in my S&W Mountain Gun.
© 24hourcampfire