Home
Just a pic for entertainment’s sake. Winchester 1873, 1888 manufacture, 44-40. A little fiddleback along bottom and rear of stock. An original cleaning rod in the stock cavity. Been shooting full case capacity Blackhorn 209 and lasercast 200gr, estimated 970 per Western though i think that data was for revolver. Anyway, so pleased with it offhand i haven’t tried anything else yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice.
Good-looking rifle, I'm jealous. I've wanted an original Winchester 1873 for a long time, but they are priced way out of my reach so I have to settle for the modern ones. They're good rifles as well, but it's just not the same as holding an original in your hands.
Nice Winchester, Great pics. Thanks for sharing
Quality Rifle that won the West! Along with a few others! Thanks for Sharing!
[Linked Image]

My Win 1873 44-40 is 2 years older, made in 1886.

I made die that coverts 38-40 brass to 44-40.

Rather than find skirted bullets for the ancient straight chamber / throat, I made another die to resize the ammo I loaded.

180 gr bullet 3 gr Bullseye, ~700 fps
A lot of Fun to Shoot!
It is hard to find a 1873 in 22 long that still has a bore left to shoot well. When you do find one, they are a joy to shoot, if you can find 22 long ammunition...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
22 Long only? That's a PITA.
i have 3 1873 winchesters, a saddle ring in 44-40 (someone cut the tube back in 1906 when it was made for some reason) a 38-40, and a 32-20. i just need the rim fire to round out the correction. thinking about making a display for them, debating paring them with a revolver from the same era in the same caliber. love the 1873, they just feel amazing.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
It is hard to find a 1873 in 22 long that still has a bore left to shoot well. When you do find one, they are a joy to shoot, if you can find 22 long ammunition...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree!
Posted By: tcp Re: Win 1873, 44wcf, just for S&G - 03/22/23
For those that want .22 longs shoot the long CCI CB caps. I have found them accurate and quiet.
I have a 1988 as well. Looking to get a doe or two yet this year with it.
Sorry 1888.
© 24hourcampfire