Home
Posted By: tex_n_cal Spencer reproductions? - 10/13/10
Curious if anyone has worked with any of these rifles. I note that the ones imported by Taylor's are available in .44 Russian. That's the first time I can recall anyone chambering a long arm for that cartridge. I have been wanting to work with a .44 Russian revolver at some point, and this could be a companion to it.
Just looked at them and read of people's ownership/usage of them on the internet. They are a fine-looking weapon, not conducive to as fast a shooting as most lever actions. They are very expensive, like many Italian repros.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Spencer reproductions? - 02/19/12
up, since I actually saw one today & handled it - in .45 Schofeld.

Interesting rifle, not bad handling at all.
I've handled a couple and think they would be great for reenactments. Cowboy-action shooting...I dunno. I'm not a CAS guy though, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much on that score. They seem like a great gun for somebody who wants a real western piece that ain't a Winchester and that you no longer see every day. Kinda like a Merwin in pistols. The Colt Lightening (rifle) repros are the same way, as are the Burgess guns. Trouble is the Lightening came in pretty late and the Burgess wasn't very prolific.
Posted By: Maarty Re: Spencer reproductions? - 02/22/12
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I've handled a couple and think they would be great for reenactments. Cowboy-action shooting...I dunno. I'm not a CAS guy though, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much on that score. They seem like a great gun for somebody who wants a real western piece that ain't a Winchester and that you no longer see every day. Kinda like a Merwin in pistols. The Colt Lightening (rifle) repros are the same way, as are the Burgess guns. Trouble is the Lightening came in pretty late and the Burgess wasn't very prolific.

I'd use a Spencer repro for CAS if I could find one and could afford it, but then I'm in the game for fun not to win and the reduced speed would be more than outweighed by the cool factor.
© 24hourcampfire