Home
Posted By: 300_savage New toy - 06/18/20
Well, a BL-22 followed me home. Want it to be a working rifle when I go to the farm. My older eyes don't like the irons, but a sharp eyed friend shot a dime sized group at 25 yards so it has potential. I've ordered a Skinner aperature sight. Getting the tall front post, I'll file it for sight in. I'm impressed with the rifle. Didn't know how I would like the integral lever/trigger, but it feels solid and tbe pull, though a bit heavy, is very crisp and feels lighter than its 6 lb pull.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: New toy - 06/19/20
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 06/19/20
Looks like yours works, Huntsman.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 06/23/20
Update. Ordered a Skinner aperture soght with the 0.600 post. Local gunsmith installed the post today and to the range I went. No filing was needed and only a little windage. 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yds, probably as good as I can do with trifocal vision. Think I've got my farm gun. For precision work I'll grab my bolt action with a scope.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: New toy - 06/23/20
Sounds like a great little rimfire. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 06/24/20
Thanks, Rustyzipper
Posted By: benchman Re: New toy - 06/29/20
I had a good shooter, but couldn't see the irons anymore. Very fine sights. Gave it to my granddaughter. If I got another, I would go with a reflex sight like Huntsman's.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 06/29/20
I thought of a red dot type sight too, but wanted a tough sight, as this will be both a fun plinker and a working farm .22. Will do a lot of riding on the pickup seat without a lot of tender care. Not abuse, but regular, working use. I too couldn't use the fine sights that came on the BL 22, but the Skinner peep and post are very workable for me. I've been having great fun with tin cans, dirt clods, and knots in old fence posts. I normally use a scope when I think I'll do a lot of shooting or am seriously hunting, but for a pack around rifle that I can carry on a walkabout around the farm, this might be just the ticket.
Posted By: swampkid Re: New toy - 03/16/21
The little browning 22 lever is a very nice rifle.I never understood why Winchester stoped making the 9422 it also was a fine rifle.They would sell a bunch of them if it came back into production.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 04/10/21
I think you're right, there is a market for good lever .22 rifles. Maybe limited though, most don't want to pony up much money for a .22. I like quality, be it a centerfire or rimfire. Empty shotshells are in danger from the BL-22 with tbe Sninner sights.....I've been super pleased with it.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New toy - 08/28/21
Originally Posted by swampkid
The little browning 22 lever is a very nice rifle.I never understood why Winchester stoped making the 9422 it also was a fine rifle.They would sell a bunch of them if it came back into production.

They wore out the machinery, and couldn't replace it economically, or so I've read. The price necessary to recoup their costs and make a little profit would probably make them a hard-to-sell item at the price they'd have to ask for them.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New toy - 08/28/21
Always liked the BL-22. Fun little rifle to shoot !
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: New toy - 08/29/21
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I think you're right, there is a market for good lever .22 rifles. Maybe limited though, most don't want to pony up much money for a .22. I like quality, be it a centerfire or rimfire. Empty shotshells are in danger from the BL-22 with tbe Sninner sights.....I've been super pleased with it.

From the prices folks are getting for the Winchester and Marlin guns I would say there definitely is a market. Hope Ruger decides to fill that market sometime soon.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 08/30/21
I'd buy a Ruger made Model 39. Like them too.
Posted By: snoeproe Re: New toy - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by swampkid

It’s business. They weren’t making money manufacturing that gun. It was too expensive to make.
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: New toy - 02/25/22
I have been looking for a BL22 to follow me home for awhile now, no luck yet.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 02/25/22
Keep looking, Mwbyler, the more I use mine the happier I am with it.
Posted By: Mike78 Re: New toy - 02/25/22
I love mine. This is with hollow point shorts. I use shorts in mine, regular and CB almost entirely. You'll enjoy your rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 02/26/22
The beauty of a tube full of shorts is it seems like you can shoot forever!
Posted By: 65BR Re: New toy - 03/06/22
Nice Mike - makes one wish the ammo was as cheap as BBs smile
Posted By: 300_savage Re: New toy - 05/12/22
Mike, what mount did you use to put that fastfire on that BL-22?
© 24hourcampfire