Home
Posted By: Naphtali "J" prefix Marlin Model 39 - 11/28/20
I am picking up a Marlin Model 39 rifle after the holiday weekend. Earlier versions of Marlin 39s apparently have action problems if they shoot quantities of "Hyper-velocity" 22 LR ammunition such as CCI Stinger 22 LR. Where in Marlin 39's production does mine fit? Is it Stinger safe?

The information I have includes:

- Made in 1952, "J" prefix serial number

- Pistol grip, 24-inch barrel, blued steel including trigger

- Ballard rifling
Is my 39 Stinger safe?
I think the Marlin 39 will shoot any 22 LR ammo without a problem,I know my 1975 year model will shoot Stingers without a problem.those Marlins are solid built rifles.
i have a 1954 Mountie with 1000s of rounds including Stingers and other HV ammo with no problems> Never heard that the actions were weak.

Regards,

Kris
If it is an early model 39 they are not proofed for high speed ammo. After a short time the bolt will break. Check with the Marlin collectors club for details. Don't shoot anything but standard velocity ammo till you get the information. I speak from vast experience. I broke 3 bolts on early 39's before I learned. In those days early replacement bolts could only be secured by purchasing a wreck rifle and parting it out. They are now close to impossible to find replacement bolt. I have purchased 2 early 39's without bolts as they had been parted out by people needing a bolt.
Posted By: 700LH Re: "J" prefix Marlin Model 39 - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
If it is an early model 39 they are not proofed for high speed ammo. After a short time the bolt will break. Check with the Marlin collectors club for details. Don't shoot anything but standard velocity ammo till you get the information. I speak from vast experience. I broke 3 bolts on early 39's before I learned. In those days early replacement bolts could only be secured by purchasing a wreck rifle and parting it out. They are now close to impossible to find replacement bolt. I have purchased 2 early 39's without bolts as they had been parted out by people needing a bolt.

What's "early" pre war?
© 24hourcampfire