Home
Posted By: Lightfoot Marlin 39AS Trigger - 10/25/04
I finally took my 39 back to the range yesterday for one last attempt before it goes to auction. I'm lucky to get 2" groups with it at 50 yards. I've been through every brand of ammo I can find. I got some pretty good groups if I did not touch the forearm at all and held it on the metal of the receiver instead. One thing that does stick out like a sore thumb is the awful trigger on this thing!! Is there any way to fix the 39 trigger?
Posted By: NebrHogger Re: Marlin 39AS Trigger - 10/27/04
I've done a number of Marlin triggers, and it's fairly straight-forward. Some things that will help: Pry up on the trigger return spring - not too much or you will have to remove it & bend it back down. You can also remove a couple coils from the hammer spring. Again, go slowly. I think Wolf makes the proper spring with a lesser tension, but this will work for less$.

You can CAREFULLY stone the engagement surfaces of the hammer & trigger. You don't want to try to change the geometry as much as you want to smooth it & remove burrs.

If you're not completely comfortable with this, a trigger lightening job is usually not that expensive. SW
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Marlin 39AS Trigger - 10/27/04
I've done the work on the Savage 99 several times. Just wasn't sure if the same would apply to the Marlin - sounds like it does.

thanks much,
© 24hourcampfire