Home
Posted By: lsuralph72 Savage 99C-Series A; 308 - 03/01/15
Just got this new/old Savage 99C. The serial number on the left side of rifle says D757160. Anyone might know year of manufacture & thank you. Previous owner said 82/or 1983. My wife's cousin's late husband had one on the wall and now I got one. Like someone said, why did they stop making them.
Posted By: 21 Re: Savage 99C-Series A; 308 - 03/01/15
This belongs in the Savage Collectors section.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Savage 99C-Series A; 308 - 08/02/15
why did they stop making them

Because they cost more to produce than what the buying public would pay. Savage toyed with the idea of putting them back into production several times but just couldn't figure a way to make it cost effective. Sad.

As the previous posters said, take this to the "Savage Collector's" forum.
Because the serious savage guys seek out pre 1 million guns. And by the 80's, bolts were what the market wanted.
Some years ago, maybe the early 80's Savage tried making them in Spain. A few guns were produced, but it was a short lived project.
The original machined brass rotor was a pricey proposition. Costs were were cut w/ cast aluminium rotors. , then finally removable magazines.
Gunshow prices started going up maybe twenty five years ago. I agree, bolt guns started to dominate around 1980.
Familiar story ; I kick myself for not buying a couple others when I had the chance.
I think the DOM is 1981.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99C-Series A; 308 - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
I think the DOM is 1981.

Yep, summer of 1981. Good year, had a lot of fun. grin
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99C-Series A; 308 - 05/24/18
Originally Posted by Illurian00
Some years ago, maybe the early 80's Savage tried making them in Spain. A few guns were produced, but it was a short lived project.

Early 90's.
© 24hourcampfire