Home
Posted By: covejeepsxj Remington Nylon 76 - 02/04/16
Anyone have any familiarity with the interworkings of these complicated beasts?

Purchased a 76 a few months ago. I own 3 66's but this is my first venture into the world on the 76. When pulled, the trigger won't release the striker. At first I thought the safety wasn't disengaging, so I opened up the receiver and removed the bolt and let down the striker manually. I then noticed a small broken spring laying in the bottom of the receiver. I haven't tore the gun down more than this, but can anyone ID this spring? Trigger Spring? If so could that be the reason the trigger won't release the striker? I need to tear it down more, but I haven't had a chance to yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/04/16
If it helps, I think that there is a schematic of the Nylon 76 in an NRA book of rifles.
Posted By: melchung Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/06/16
you tube has a short article on the 76...
Posted By: covejeepsxj Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/15/16
Thanks Guys.
Posted By: tinknocker Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/17/16
Look at stevespages.com they have the parts breakdown. It is the sear spring.
Posted By: covejeepsxj Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/18/16
Excellent. I will check it out. Thanks.
Posted By: tinknocker Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 02/19/16
gunparts.com has the part in stock for less than $4.00
Posted By: GeneB Re: Remington Nylon 76 - 03/13/16
I would suggest only shooting the 76 with standard velocity ammunition, I have one where the receiver cracked between two holes under the action cover - don't know if that was from shooting or if it maybe it got dropped, but I don't consider these a very solid action. Nylon worked great for the semi-autos where more recoil was absorbed through springs, they seem to go on forever.

The 76 actually absorbs a little recoil through the use of springs, but not near as much as the semi-autos. The breech bolt does not lockup solidly but is allowed to recoil a little against a spring, you can check this by putting a pencil in the ejection port and then closing the action - it won't feel like much but remember that after firing the hammer spring will also be added in.

If the breech bolt is not held very far open it will fire, I place a thin piece of plastic, such as a zip tie end, or even a piece of cardboard, in front of the bolt so I can dry fire the gun and protect the chamber from damage.
© 24hourcampfire