Home
Posted By: winchester70 Marlin 39D purchase - 09/10/17
Could not pass this jewel up. Needed it to take some of the pressure off my 39TDS.

Attached picture 39D.jpg
Posted By: mudstud Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/10/17

Very nice!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/12/17

nice........will be my next Marlin 39...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/12/17
wow....such a nice clean 39D.

Doc
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/12/17
Thanks Tikka for posting my picture. I can never figure out how to do it that way.

This is really a big deal for me. While I will use it as well, I will get the most joy from presenting it to Dad. He bought one brand new in 1971 and it was stolen from his bedroom closet in the mid 80's.
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/13/17
Congratulations on you purchase. A couple years ago I bought a 1973 39D in as new condition. Don't think it was ever used. Just like the one pictured except without the white spacers that were present in the 71' and 72' Model 39D's. Found a period correct Marlin scope to put on it. Beautiful little guns.

Attached picture Marlin800scope.JPG
Attached picture Marlin800reticle.JPG
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/13/17
Originally Posted by winchester70
Thanks Tikka for posting my picture. I can never figure out how to do it that way.

This is really a big deal for me. While I will use it as well, I will get the most joy from presenting it to Dad. He bought one brand new in 1971 and it was stolen from his bedroom closet in the mid 80's.

no prob........just right click your mouse on pic.......

then paste in new post with [img] [/img]

my handle should be Marlinnut..........here's my '81 Mountie.........

actually gave this one to my G/kids in AZ for them to use......

still have several other 39's........ grin

[Linked Image]
Very nice, mine has had lots of use!!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 09/13/17
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
Congratulations on you purchase. A couple years ago I bought a 1973 39D in as new condition. Don't think it was ever used. Just like the one pictured except without the white spacers that were present in the 71' and 72' Model 39D's. Found a period correct Marlin scope to put on it. Beautiful little guns.

Very nice score on the scope.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 10/28/17
ya I just purchased another golden 39A marlin ,these older marlin 39 A`S are my all time favorite 22 rim fires,what scope base fits these 39 A`s at my age open sights or a peep just are not enough anymore with my old eyes ?
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 11/09/17
Originally Posted by pete53
ya I just purchased another golden 39A marlin ,these older marlin 39 A`S are my all time favorite 22 rim fires,what scope base fits these 39 A`s at my age open sights or a peep just are not enough anymore with my old eyes ?

I used the following on my 39D. In fact I use these mouints on all my newer rifles. One piece, no lapping, lightweight and USA made!

https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-marlin/
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/06/18
Hat to high jack this thread, but I came across a nice Model 39 at my LGS yesterday. They are asking $600 for it. Looks like an older model, no safety, and by the looks of it, probably a 40s or 50s vintage. Overall condition I'd rate it good to very good, used but not abused. Strong bluing and some handling marks on the stock. Is that a fair asking price? I almost walked out with it yesterday, but thought I'd check:)
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/06/18
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
Hat to high jack this thread, but I came across a nice Model 39 at my LGS yesterday. They are asking $600 for it. Looks like an older model, no safety, and by the looks of it, probably a 40s or 50s vintage. Overall condition I'd rate it good to very good, used but not abused. Strong bluing and some handling marks on the stock. Is that a fair asking price? I almost walked out with it yesterday, but thought I'd check:)

here's a date code list.........

$600 is purty good price.......

wouldn't sell any 39 I have for that

http://marlinspares.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Marlin-Date-codes-ver8-396mb2-1024x791.jpg
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/07/18
Thanks for the input! I’ll swing by tomorrow and see if it’s still there. Kinda liking the old 22s. I purchased a set of nice Winchester 1890s off the fire last year and wanted a Marlin 22 to go with them.
Posted By: Joe_S Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18
The Mountie is my favorite but i like that!! Does the D represent a shorter barrel? That one looks shorter than the 39 I had.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18

39D is curved grip

auction site pic

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18
Originally Posted by tikkanut

39D is curved grip

auction site pic

[Linked Image]

Tikka, the one I looked at had the curved grip, but it was checkered. Were any of the 39s checkered or was that something aftermarket? Thanks!
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18
Originally Posted by Joe_S
The Mountie is my favorite but i like that!! Does the D represent a shorter barrel? That one looks shorter than the 39 I had.

The 39D is the same gun as the 39A, with a 20" barrel.

Why they ever thought a .22 needed a 24" barrel, I'll never know.
Tikka, the one I looked at had the curved grip, but it was checkered. Were any of the 39s checkered or was that something aftermarket? Thanks!

Checkered stocks indicate recent manufacture. Around the early 1990's to present.
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18

Checkered stocks indicate recent manufacture. Around the early 1990's to present.

Thanks winchester! I have to go look at it again, I got a link that shows how to check the manufacturing date. I think it looks a lot older than a new rifle, that's why I was wondering if it was aftermarket. Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, either. I'll look again. Thanks!

Thanks winchester! I have to go look at it again, I got a link that shows how to check the manufacturing date. I think it looks a lot older than a new rifle, that's why I was wondering if it was aftermarket. Maybe I'm not recalling correctly, either. I'll look again. Thanks!

I'm not real up to speed on the really old 39's from the 1930's-50's. Could have been a checkered variation way back then?
That makes sense to me. I could’ve sworn mine was at 39A, but it had a 24 inch barrel and a curved grip. Oddly enough, I have seen (or so I thought) 39A Mounties with a straight grip and a 20 inch barrel. I’m probably wrong there though.

Originally Posted by Joe_S

The 39D is the same gun as the 39A, with a 20" barrel.

Why they ever thought a .22 needed a 24" barrel, I'll never know.
It wasn’t unheard of to have one checkered back in the day.

I'm not real up to speed on the really old 39's from the 1930's-50's. Could have been a checkered variation way back then?

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/09/18

Hawkman

run the S/N below.....after 1983 it will have the X bolt safety

http://marlinspares.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Marlin-Date-codes-ver8-396mb2-1024x791.jpg
Posted By: hawkman0206 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/12/18

Hawkman

Tikka,
I just got back from my LGS and the Marlin is still there. The serial number starts with the letter "K", so I checked you reference sheet, and it looks like it was made in 1953, correct me if I'm wrong. The gun does not have checkering, so that checks out. There are some handling marks on the stock and it's marked Marlin 39a. Is $600 a buy price or a decent price? I have some pictures I could email you if you want to look at them. Thanks!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/12/18

P
M sent
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 03/12/18

Hawkman

Tikka,
I just got back from my LGS and the Marlin is still there. The serial number starts with the letter "K", so I checked you reference sheet, and it looks like it was made in 1953, correct me if I'm wrong. The gun does not have checkering, so that checks out. There are some handling marks on the stock and it's marked Marlin 39a. Is $600 a buy price or a decent price? I have some pictures I could email you if you want to look at them. Thanks!

I think ya better head back to the LGS sooon.........
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 04/20/18
Let it be known, this particular 1971 39D is officially the most accurate 22 lever I have ever owned. And there have been a few come and go over the years.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 04/21/18
I got a 39D for Christmas when I was 14 years old in 1971. I love mine and it will stay in my family. I have a 336 carbine in 30-30 and it feels very similar to my 39D, which makes it easy to switch back and forth. Mine is really accurate also, and no squirrel is safe in the top of any tree. I don't see many of these models like I do the other 39s. Looks like you found a gem there!
Posted By: swampkid Re: Marlin 39D purchase - 04/21/18
Still kicking myself in the ass for selling mine years ago.
© 24hourcampfire