Home
Posted By: LazyL0228 Remington model 12A - 03/02/18
Just got a model 12a s,l,lr with layman peep. Y letter makes it 1930. Cannot wait to shoot it was raining today but look out weekend. I gave 300.00 out the door at local pawn shop. What do you all think. Good or bad. Thanks.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Remington model 12A - 03/02/18
Sorry this is a pump. But reply anyway if you want.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Remington model 12A - 03/02/18
model 12's are cool......
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Remington model 12A - 03/02/18
Had a 121, '40-something. Very nice rifle, but I was afraid to shoot High Velocity Long Rifle ammo in it.

Lots of fun with it's 25" lightweight barrel and open sights, and any variety of shorts. CB Shorts were very quiet.
Ya gotta shuck it just right with the shorts. Firm but not too fast. Just a solid "click-click." I got a jam with the shorts if I tried to go super speed or if I tried to baby it.

I swapped a brand new VXII, or 2, 3-9x40 for it, I can't remember. Later sold it for $325 I think, or $350, I can't remember. Nice rifle for a 22 collection as a 3rd or 4th or 5th option shooter/hunter. Or even an only 22 if you don't mind not shooting the hot stuff. Super cool rifles nevertheless.
Posted By: Frontiersman Re: Remington model 12A - 03/04/18
The slide actions are a lot of fun.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Remington model 12A - 03/05/18
300 is about right depending on condition. the 12's are slick old guns. gotta watch the barrels on them because a lot were shot and never cleaned. if it works ok, i would expect its plinker grade accuracy. good for pop cans and what not. not tack drivers in my experience. stiff triggers. good fun guns though.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Remington model 12A - 03/06/18
Yes have not shot it yet. But have cleaned it bore looks very good I mean very good' But with R12 Lyman sight thinking I did alright these sights go for a good price. Thanks for info.
Posted By: Mesa Re: Remington model 12A - 04/02/18
I never had any problem with high speed LRs in any of the 12-121 series Remington pumps and my 12S was chambered for the ".22 Remington Special" (aka .22 WRF) and fired a bucket of them without any damage. I couldn't tell any difference between its action and the regular 12A. The "Special" runs at a higher pressure than any of the LRs (except perhaps the ultra-velocity like Stingers--not sure about those).

The only common old pump .22 that I know of that has problems with high speed ammo is the Savage/Stevens series of hammerless guns. They don't seem to be dangerous with high speed ammo, but do wear out and stop functioning if you use a lot of it.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Remington model 12A - 04/02/18
Thanks for your input. Took it out and shot lr, s, out of it all kinds of 22 all worked fine. Looks to be a keeper . Grandson and son thought so to. lol
Posted By: crsides Re: Remington model 12A - 06/09/18
The model 12's should not be shot with high velocity stuff. Could crack the bolt. The 121 was introduced to fix this and you can safely shoot High velocity ammo in the 121. But NOT the 12's.

Charlie
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Remington model 12A - 06/09/18
Thanks for the info.
Posted By: GeneB Re: Remington model 12A - 09/07/18
Not all Model 12's were created equal, here is a picture I posted in another forum showing early Model 12 bolts compared to one form a 121. Notice that beside the larger locking lug the 121 bolt has a round firing pin leaving the left side of the bolt solid, the early 12 bolts are milled away there for the flat firing pin undercutting the locking lug which makes them much weaker - around serial number 650,000 the Model 12 bolt was changed to a round firing pin which made them much stronger - those MAY handle HI-Speed fine, or at least better than the earlier ones. I have seen several bolts with the locking lug gone, but never one of the later ones with a round firing pin.
[Linked Image]
In the background is an old Numrich catalog, they used to sell a kit with a modified Model 121 bolt for early the Model 12- these had the round firing pin but had the locking lug milled down to Model 12 size and the front of the bolt tapered.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Remington model 12A - 10/05/18
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Had a 121, '40-something. Very nice rifle, but I was afraid to shoot High Velocity Long Rifle ammo in it.

Lots of fun with it's 25" lightweight barrel and open sights, and any variety of shorts. CB Shorts were very quiet.
Ya gotta shuck it just right with the shorts. Firm but not too fast. Just a solid "click-click." I got a jam with the shorts if I tried to go super speed or if I tried to baby it.

I swapped a brand new VXII, or 2, 3-9x40 for it, I can't remember. Later sold it for $325 I think, or $350, I can't remember. Nice rifle for a 22 collection as a 3rd or 4th or 5th option shooter/hunter. Or even an only 22 if you don't mind not shooting the hot stuff. Super cool rifles nevertheless.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Remington model 12A - 10/05/18
Remington model 121 are made for High Velocity .22's, the earlier Model 12 will fare better with standard velocity ammunition ......
Posted By: crsides Re: Remington model 12A - 02/06/21
It really doesn't matter. the old model 12's handle Hi speed stuff just fine ... until bolt breaks.
© 24hourcampfire