Home
Posted By: Labman95 My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19
I've always wanted a model 39 for no particular reason other than I liked the gun. I've never been able to find one in the condition I wanted for a price I was willing to pay. Finally I got a great deal on a Model 39D. The serial # prefix is "71" which I learned is the year it was made. A google search revealed that this model was only made for a few years starting in 1971. I do have a couple of questions which I'm hoping more knowledgeable folks on the "fire" can answer for me.

1. Although the barrel is stamped with the Marlin name and North Haven. Conn. ( see picture) there is no JM stamp on the barrel in front of the receiver. There is a hammer stud that is stamped "JM". Is this normal?

2. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope mount but the middle screw appears to be slightly larger in size from the other two. Again, is this normal?

I doubt if I'll use this rifle for anything but plinking but it sure feels great to scratch the itch I've had for one of these guns. Enjoy the pictures and thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Labman95 Re: Ny first Model 39 - 12/05/19

Posted By: Labman95 Re: Ny first Model 39 - 12/05/19
If you can't read the stamping on the barrel in the pic it reads "The Marlin Firearms Co., NorthHaven, CONN. USA. Model 39D
Posted By: pal Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19
I have a near mint 1971 model D I'll be selling. Would you mind telling us how much you paid?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19
pal - you have a pm.
Posted By: pal Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19
Thank you!
Very nice!!!!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19

OP

look on right side of barrel ahead of receiver....

sometimes its not a full stamp mark
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/05/19

as here...right side

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

OP

look on right side of barrel ahead of receiver....

sometimes its not a full stamp mark

No stamp on either side of the barrel.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/07/19
The only thing I can think of doing is to remove the forearm piece and see if the roll mark happens to be covered due to miss placed roll mark.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/07/19
Btw nice snag, enjoy.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/07/19
Excellent purchase, sir!
Posted By: winchester70 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/14/19
The most rare 39 made, and just outstanding shooters. A true gem. You could not have picked a better one to buy than a D. Well, maybe a TDS if you can get past that damn crossbolt safety.

Well done indeed sir. Congrats.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/15/19
Thanks for the kind words. I'll admit to not knowing a thing about the "D" model 39's until I bought this rifle. The price was right so I bought it just thinking it was a regular 39. I guess I just got lucky.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/17/20
Still wondering about the lack of a JM stamp on the barrel of this rifle. As previously mentioned it has the Marlin inscription on the barrel and 39D as well. I removed the forend and checked for the stamp there as well and there is none. The only JM mark is on the hamper spur. Does anyone know if this is unique to this model?
Posted By: Fenton Re: My new to me Model 39 - 01/29/21
I’ve got a 1971 39D. Mine has the JM stamp on the barrel, left side, just in front of the receiver.

Very accurate. My most accurate .22.
2nd most accurate is my Savage MK II BV with a bull barrel.
Savage is very accurate also, but the 39D’s groups are a little tighter and more consistent.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: My new to me Model 39 - 01/29/21
Had a guy bring an earlier one to me for a trigger job this winter, he bragged on it quite a bit. I thought oh yeah, right a real tackdriver levergun. We benched it when he came to pick it up with some CCI Std Velocity. Holeesmoke, outshot my Win 75, accurate, I'm a believer now.
Posted By: MrClean Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/16/21
Love this things! About to post pics of mine I've had since 1970. Still my favorite.
Congratulations and happy shooting!!!
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/20/21
I'm still perplexed about the lack of the JM stamp. As previously mentioned no stamp on either side of the barrel and none under the forearm The barrel is stamped Model 39D and it wears a hammer spur with the 39D designation. I'm guess it was somehow missed at the factory.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/23/21
So what's the difference 'tween a 39A and a 39D?
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/23/21
Honestly I don't know all the differences between the 39D and the regular Moeel 39. The barrel is 20" long instead of 22 and there is no hood on the front sight. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on this site can enlighten us about the differences.
Posted By: bcp Re: My new to me Model 39 - 03/12/21
The 39D has a shorter barrel and a barrel band forend.

Bruce
Posted By: Brian1892 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/24/21
That is a great looking rifle.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/26/21
That’s a neat rifle. Congrats!
I’ve got a 39A made in 67. Love that rifle. Wouldn’t part with it for nothing.
Posted By: waterrat Re: My new to me Model 39 - 12/29/21
Nice rifle,, I've got a 39A that over the years has had about 5 sight and scope combo's. This fall I mounted a 2.5 Leupold compact and it was a match made in heaven!! Sighted for 65yds or so the magpies and squirrels are in the zone.
Posted By: PennDog Re: My new to me Model 39 - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by Labman95
I'm still perplexed about the lack of the JM stamp. As previously mentioned no stamp on either side of the barrel and none under the forearm The barrel is stamped Model 39D and it wears a hammer spur with the 39D designation. I'm guess it was somehow missed at the factory.

That is a JM Marlin - the stamp may be very light or like you say they may have simply missed doing it. No matter it’s a JM…..the hammer spur marking was common back in the day and these can fetch a handsome amount by themselves (just check on eBay). I’m not sure if it was an option that they left the factory with but I think that was an aftermarket add on. I have never seen a hammer spur marked 39D but I haven’t seen a lot!! FWIW I have a few marlins that are very lightly marked JM from that era so it wouldn’t be a shock to see one without.

Nice rifle you will like it!!

PennDog
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 01/26/22
Sorry for the confusion. The hammer spur is marked "JM" not "39D."
Posted By: 160user Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/24/22
I read through all this and decided to drag my old 39D out and look for the JM stamp. Mine isn't stamped either. I wonder if there is a serial number range where the stamp is missing?

Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/24/22
The serial # on mine is written as 71 73XXX. I'm guessing that the "71" before the gap is the year of manufacture. Hopefully, we both have a rare and very valuable version of the 36D. :-)
Posted By: 160user Re: My new to me Model 39 - 02/24/22
Interesting. Mine is a 70 prefix. 65xxx
Posted By: boatammo Re: My new to me Model 39 - 05/13/23
Bought my mountie new in 69 and it so stamped. Hammer spur came on it and is stamped JM. I know it must have come that way because I bought it Target in Duluth MN. Wonderful rifle and it killed a ton of sage rats when I lived in OR. First new gun I ever bought and my son will get it when I go home.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: My new to me Model 39 - 05/13/23
My 39A has a 24" barrel.
Posted By: old_boots Re: My new to me Model 39 - 05/23/23
Do not remove the larger screw on the top of the receiver.

That screw retains the cartridge guide spring inside the receiver at the top.

Don't want to lose it either as they can be hard to find...
Posted By: Labman95 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 05/31/23
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: carrollco Re: My new to me Model 39 - 06/13/23
One of my gun buying regrets; back in the 70’ a K -Mart was going out of business and had a display Marlin M-39 for $100. I had just divorced and had remarried. Starting over, I felt like I could not afford at that time. Too many bills and stuff needed that were a necessity. Back then, as like today, courts always ruled in favor of the female no matter how sorry or crazy they were.
Posted By: ronjeremy8a Re: My new to me Model 39 - 06/21/23
My Lyman 17AHB front globe sight has been on backorder for 2 months on MidwayUSA, otherwise I would've been plinking with my Model 39.
A good friend just gifted me my first Marlin Model 39. Its the Golden 39A model. I’m in love, its already my most favorite rimfire rifle and I have several.

Great guns!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: My new to me Model 39 - 10/17/23
I posted this about my 39A.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8955/marlin-39-trigger-stop#Post18848955

DF
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: My new to me Model 39 - 11/01/23
My grandfather gave me a mint 39D back in the late 70's so he and I could hunt Squirrels together in the woods of Northern Indiana. It was my first 22 and now the most cherished gun I own. It's still in near 100% condition, sans one little nick in the feed tube, thanks to a careless college girlfriend who clumsily rested it against t-post. Knew there was a reason I never married her. Ha! Anyway, as others have alluded, it's one heck of an accurate bast#rd, especially for a lever. Loves Mini Mag HP's. Quick anecdotal story...While in high school, me and a buddy were out dinkin around behind our neighborhood. He had his Nylon 66 and me the 39D. We spotted a rabbit about 125 yds away down a pipeline right away. I sat down on the ground and rested the gun on my knee. Don't remember how much I held over with the 4x scope, but anyway my buddy chuckled and said "no way". I squeezed off the shot and dumped the rabbit on the spot. Head shot at that. I'm sure it was more luck than anything, but resulted in a dead rabbit nonetheless. I've made some pretty long shots on Crows as well. Besides a 1968 Browning T-Bolt I inherited from my dad, the 39D is the most accurate 22 I own.

As for markings, my serial number also starts with 71. I have the JM stamp on the right side of the barrel, just ahead of the receiver. I also have the JM marked hammer spur.
I think of the various sporter weight .22’s (especially lever actions) that the Model 39 is one of the most accurate and definitely most fun rimfire rifles one could own.
© 24hourcampfire