Home
Posted By: jrg_80 Best option for 22mag lever gun - 03/01/20
Is a Henry my best option on a lever 22mag that currently available? Price and dependability being taken into consideration as well. Thanks

jrg
Currently available or new?

If I was shopping for an accurate lever gun in 22 mag I would buy an old Marlin 57M. I owned one at one time and literally cleaned the squirrels off my property with it with zero misses. I eventually sold it for a lack of need.
if the henry 22wmr shoots and functions like their LR model it is a good gun. there are so many companies jumping back into the 22wmr that its hard to keep track. Lever guns shrinks the field a lot. have to second FB2's vote for the marlin though.
I have a Winchester 9422 mag has a 2x7 Leupold rimfire. It keeps Winchester 40 gr HP around 1" for 5 shots. Up until a couple years ago you could only use a rimfire or a shotgun at night for coyotes and fox. Out to 75 yards it accounted for a bunch of coyotes and fox. It's also shot a couple 100 beaver with head shots on damage permits.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
I have a Winchester 9422 mag has a 2x7 Leupold rimfire. It keeps Winchester 40 gr HP around 1" for 5 shots. Up until a couple years ago you could only use a rimfire or a shotgun at night for coyotes and fox. Out to 75 yards it accounted for a bunch of coyotes and fox. It's also shot a couple 100 beaver with head shots on damage permits.

I bought a new 94/22 Magnum in 1998 and a quantity of Winchester 40 grain jacketed HP's at that time. This combination has proven very effective for needs that I intended for this cartridge and are normally under 50 yards (iron sights). I mention the 94/22M as an option because I see several at gunshows I attend, many priced high but as well more than a few deals.
Marlin 1894M...... you won't find many of those.
I had a Marlin 1894 .22mag.. Sold it because it would only shoot 3 shots into a snuff can at 50 yards.. Other might do well.. That one sure was a looser.. Now I picked up a WW94 .22mag. to go with the .22LR.. Beautiful weapon.. Accurate, smooth, I love it.. Pricey, but we only live once..
I'd rather have an old Marlin 57 than any Henry that I've ever seen.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I’d rather have just about any other rifle then a damn Henry.
My old Marlin bolt action tube fed model is one of the most accurate.22 mag rifles I’ve ever owned. Bar none.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My old Marlin bolt action tube fed model is one of the most accurate.22 mag rifles I’ve ever owned. Bar none.

Me too!

Rugged, reliable, and dependable, that could be the epitaph of the tube-fed Marlin rimfire bolt guns.

One of the last rifles that I would ever divest myself of would be my 983S. It does so many things and does them so well.

My old detachable mag. Marlin 882 is the most accurate .22 mag. I've ever owned and I've had a dozen of various makes and models over the years. I have no clue why anyone would think a tube mag hanging off the barrel to fugg with harmonics would be more accurate.
I will have to say I bought a Marlin bolt, just be fore getting the 1894M, it has a magazine tube, and was deadly accurate.. I thought it was awesome, but a bit ugly so I traded for the 1894 M, huge mistake on my part.. I also have a CZ .22mag. that is very accurate, but I think the Marlin bolt was more accurate..
The guys on here that trash a Henry make no sense to me. Does the Henry soot like an Anschutz? Not even close. It is minute of squirrel head at 40 yards? Mine is with a Redfield 6x on top. I did try six or seven different types of ammo to figure out what it liked. 30gr hyper velocity 22mag loads patterned like a good turkey load. 40-50 gr standard velocity stuff shot well. Now my Henry has the octagon barrel so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Mine has never had any feeding issue and it shoots as well as I expect it to.

Micky
i had a henry 22m lever and it was slick and sweet. carried nice and never failed to fire or extract.

minute of squirrel at 10 ft ----maybe. lets say 8 of 10.

40 ft about 2 of 10 to hit a pop can. there may have been a brand or wt of ammo i missed but i doubt it.

i would buy another, but only after shooting it.
Jrg 80: I have a mint perfect Winchester 94/22 Magnum for sale - it is in the $875.00 range (plus expenses!).
I decided not to scope this Rifle and then I decided not to shoot it - just to valuable to take afield here in Montana.
This is the checkered straight grip model (same as the 94/22 XTR).
Good luck in your search.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have had a Winchester 255 22 mag for about 40 years. Not the most reliable gun if the action is worked slowly but fine if worked relatively quickly. The gun just flat out shoots with just about any ammo. Not the easiest gun to find now but they show up on gunbroker once in awhile.
I like my old Ithaca model 72 saddlegun
I got a henry lever 22 magnum recently. It's my first lever action rifle. It has a williams peep sight on it and it's very accurate. The price was right and I like it.
I also had an old Ithaca saddle rifle with an octagon barrel. Very accurate but had a dead spot in trigger pull. I used that spot kind of like a 2 phase trigger.

I gave it to my cousin as he was had and rode horses. He enjoyed it much more than me.
I'm partial to my Marlin 57 M Levermatic. Mine shoots great and it is fun to occasionally run a full magazine through as fast as you can.

You should be able to find a decent one for less than a new Henry. I don't have anything against Henry's. I have two of their levers, a 327 Federal and a 223/5.56. They are good looking and well made if a bit heavy.
I've got a Henry. It functions well, had a crisp 3 lb trigger out of the box and shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with ammo it likes.
My hunting partner in Idaho has a Marlin 57 22 mag. For sale. If interested, pm me a cell number and I will forward some photos.
Only lever .22 wmr that I have is a Marlin model 1894M. I packed it around the hills the day before Thanksgiving looking for a Tom turkey. Didn't even shoot. My son got his first with our BRNO ZKM 611.
I have 2 Henry's rimfires, a 22 mag and a 22 rimfire and both are slick as can be reliable and accurate.
The 22 mag shoots inside 2" at a hundred yds with Winchester 40gr hp's after i played with the bands a little bit
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I have 2 Henry's rimfires, a 22 mag and a 22 rimfire and both are slick as can be reliable and accurate.
The 22 mag shoots inside 2" at a hundred yds with Winchester 40gr hp's after i played with the bands a little bit

I guess everyone's definition of accurate varies. 2" groups doesn't meet my standards. My 2 bolt action 22 mags shoot 3/4" or slightly less @100
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

I guess everyone's definition of accurate varies. 2" groups doesn't meet my standards. My 2 bolt action 22 mags shoot 3/4" or slightly less @100

It meets mine for a lever gun, remember the OP? You don't think i have bolt actions?
I have 2 autoloaders in 22 mag that'll out shoot most levers. I have an H&k Model 300 that does an inch
but that wasn't the question.
No doubt in my mind that the Winchester 9422M is the best. Just picked up another first year gun that is like new for $850. They have been running $1000-$1250 for nice examples to NIB. Love the 22 mag caliber even though it is not known for its accuracy. Both of my Anschutz 1720’s shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Buy a Winchester 9422M and your great grandkids will be shooting it.
Not sure if the BLR was ever offered in 22 Mag, but that would be where I would start. They are certainly my favorite lever 22.
Hands down 9422M
My 9422m

Attached picture 5B6F0C5D-4316-46CE-85C7-DEBB1494A5F1.jpeg
Winchester 9422M has impressed me whenever I had the chance to shoot one. Very smooth action and high quality components.
RUGER 96 was built in 22 MAG for a time. Mine is chambered for 44 MAG and its a genuine keeper!

Sherwood
Originally Posted by Sherwood
RUGER 96 was built in 22 MAG for a time. Mine is chambered for 44 MAG and its a genuine keeper!

Sherwood

I have one. Pretty accurate, even with a REALLY heavy trigger. Does fail to fire about 10% of the time. Got a Marlin 57M. Have yet to shoot it, as my range is closed for another month or so...
I remember waaaay back in the day when I was a "grunt" on a line crew during the summer to help pay for college. One day I picked up the company newsletter and in the little classified section there was listed, "Marlin lever .22 Mag. - $150." If I only knew...heavy sigh!
Ya know a mini 99 in 22 mag would be pretty sweet
Originally Posted by hookeye
Ya know a mini 99 in 22 mag would be pretty sweet

Marlin 57m may be as close as you could get. The Ruger 96/22 mag, as well. I don't think that is as reliable or accurate, as the Marlin though. Easier to take down though!
They aint close imho.
Check out the Rossi 22Mag10 shot Auto, best 250 bucks I spent in a while, shoots right along side my H&k 300 22 mag.
Saw a 300 at a shop, beat to hell.
Clean one at gunshow......way overpriced.

Cool rigs.
The Henry is a nice rifle and the guys bashing them probably haven't owned one in years . Are they the most accurate, no but very reliable and accurate enough for a lever gun. Good fit and finish and good customer service.
Marlin 1894M
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
Marlin 1894M

I just listed one for sale.
Congrats on the sale Teeder. I've got one too. I paid 300.00 (with a scope)...and it might have the box. wink
Edited- NM Teeder, I already told you that!
The OP wants a lever gun, not a bolt action.

If I could find one in really nice condition, I would buy a 94-22M hands down.
But shooters are hanging on to their 94-22 and 94-22M rifles.

I suppose that an 1894M would be nice if you could find one, with only 12,000 made.
However, I wonder how reliably .22 magnum would function inside an action designed around the .44-40.

Having carefully evaluated the Henry, I would buy the 20" barrel one in .22 magnum.
Probably the octagon barrel Frontier model with walnut stocks, metal barrel bands, and Marbles sights.

Even though the receiver and receiver cover are ZA-5 ZAMAC alloy, it is a quality rifle.
And, interestingly enough, the chamber pressure for .22LR and .22 Magnum is the same at 24,000 PSI. And since the diameter inside the casing near the rim is almost the same for both, bolt thrust is almost the same, so no problems there.

As for accuracy, a 2 inch group at 100 yards with a scope seems fine. If you really need sub-MOA, then you might as well go for a bolt-action .22 center-fire with an expensive Leupold scope and be done with it.
In the last 5 years I bought both a 94-22 and 94-22mag .. they are the checkered ones.. Not cheap, but the finest lever 22 I have ever had.. And I have had a dozen Marlins.. Still have 3, but these 94's.. Wow.. They do'n't get cheaper if you find one get it..
You couldn’t be me damn Henry. I’d pay the money and buy a older 94-22 mag if I could find one.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Marlin 1894M...... you won't find many of those.

Nope. Mine is VERY accurate.
Curious. Why the hate from some for the Henry's?
My Winchester 9422M (smooth stocks) is a great little rifle. Black walnut, polished blue steel, smooth action, quality in and out. With a Leupold rimfire scope it shoots just under a half inch at 50 yards using CCI Green hollowpoints, time after time. Worth every penny.
Marlin 57m made for sears most accurate 22mag I ever had ,bolt , or otherwise, paid $45 for it, made a profit but wish I had it back.
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
My Winchester 9422M (smooth stocks) is a great little rifle. Black walnut, polished blue steel, smooth action, quality in and out. With a Leupold rimfire scope it shoots just under a half inch at 50 yards using CCI Green hollowpoints, time after time. Worth every penny.

Have a few of these and like em as we shoot them often!

Can't comment on others that might be fine also.
Had a 9422, but it wasn’t nearly as accurate as I had read they usually were, so I sold it and bought a CZ 455. It wasn’t any better. Crap! Now with repeated ammo crunches and high prices, I’ll just stick with a Hornet, loaded to order.

Have been looking for another 9422 in LR, but found a good deal on a very nice 39A instead.
Originally Posted by rifletom

For some reason folks like to hate on American made Henry's. Perhaps quality was not as good in the past but their rifle are fine now with quality components and wood.
The tube loading also is not what many like but they are making side gates now.
I bought a Henry Frontier model in 22 mag back in March. and it is an excellent gun. Great fit and finish, very smooth action. Fine accuracy with the right ammo. I consider it one of my best gun purchases ever.
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Hands down 9422M

Oh my yes. I have a beauty. Laminated stock early manufacture. Really nice shape. I would post a photo but never figured out how to on this forum.
Hard to describe the superb fit, finish and reliability of the Winchester 9422m without seeing it for yourself. Can’t comment negatively on any of the competitive models since I’ve never felt the need to try another 22mag.
Originally Posted by rifletom

see my post!
Winchester 9422 Xtra Magnum
Shoots MOA with 45-50 grain Federal ammo
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Originally Posted by Fireball2

. . . . . .If I was shopping for an accurate lever gun in 22 mag I would buy an old Marlin 57M. . . . . . .

This ^^^^
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by Fireball2

. . . . . .If I was shopping for an accurate lever gun in 22 mag I would buy an old Marlin 57M. . . . . . .

This ^^^^

I have found this to be true. I guess guys like an external hammer. I have a model 56, 22lr, that may be the most accurate 22 I have. The 57m is certainly accurate, but I haven't been able to find a reliable source for affordable ammo to really test it. It IS more accurate than my Ruger 96/22 mag though.
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by Sherwood

Sherwood

I have one. Pretty accurate, even with a REALLY heavy trigger. Does fail to fire about 10% of the time. Got a Marlin 57M. Have yet to shoot it, as my range is closed for another month or so...

I had a 96/22 for a while... probably the most problematic 22 I've ever owned. I sent it back to Ruger a couple times. It was about 25% ftf out of the box. Got it back and that was fixed, but then it had extraction and feed problems. Got it back again and it functioned fine, but it was rougher than a gravel road after that 2nd repair. Tried buffing it out, but it didn't help, so I dumped it off on a trade. I never even shot it enough to really get a good idea of the accuracy.

Had one of the 96/44s for a while, too. It was nice and smooth, had decent trigger, and handled great, but I never could get the kind of accuracy I was looking for out of it, so eventually traded it off, too. It also kicked about twice as hard as any other 44Mag rifle I've ever shot... think it was the stock, that butt plate used to poke me right in the shoulder joint something awful ☠️

My choice now for rimfire levers is the old Winchester 9422, have a standard S/L/LR and a 22 mag, and love them both. I don't shoot the Mag much, but it's probably a bit more accurate than the LR.

The Henry Goldenboys are very nice, too, but I like the 9422 a bit better.
There is a 94/22M at the LGS. I think price was around 700-800. Looked very clean the little I handled it.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
There is a 94/22M at the LGS. I think price was around 700-800. Looked very clean the little I handled it.

That’s a buy it now price based on what I’ve seen lately!
Originally Posted by WFR
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

That’s a buy it now price based on what I’ve seen lately!

Yes it is!!!
There's a golden boy 22mag octagon down the street for
$600
My best friend has a Ruger lever 22Mag. It is his truck and side x side gun.
I doubt it has ever been cleaned but it cycles ammo and shoots good.

I have one too, puts bullets in the same hole at 50 yards
I have had a few. Right now a cz 452 with a sporter barrel and a WW 94/22m. Both seem accurate, but the best a Marlin bolt with a tube. That thing would drive tacks.
Very likely the same model chlin. mentioned.
My .22mag lever action is a Winchester 9422 XTR and it is a great gun, also have one in .22lr.
IMO Marlin has always made the best lever action rimfire rifles.

The only lever action .22 MAG lever actions that I've owned have been Winchester 255s. They worked okay, but the ergs of the pistol grip didn't work for me. Funny thing is that the pump action 275 works well for me despite having the same pistol grip ergs.
I had a Marlin 57M years ago and sold it. Sometime I regret that. It had a VERY short throw, which was nice, but it also weighted a lot for a field rimfire.
Anyone have experience with the Uberti or Rossi .22 levers ?
I picked up a Henry Classic H001M a few weeks ago at Academy for $469. That's the lowest price I've seen anywhere. Slick action, can't wait to shoot it.
Originally Posted by crshelton
Winchester 9422 Xtra Magnum
Shoots MOA with 45-50 grain Federal ammo
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Yes, the 9422M shoots the 50gr bullet very well. I don't know the rate of twist, but it is enough. The discontinued 50gr. jacketed are thumpers. I bought all that Midway had when I heard they were discontinued. That was many years ago.

Side note. I still can't get excited about any lever gun with a scope mounted on it. Receiver sights I dig.
My vote is for the marlin 57. My dad passed 1 on to me that shoots lights out.
© 24hourcampfire