Home
Posted By: battue South Dakota winter???? - 03/02/21
How has the winter been treating the Pheasants? From here it looks like better than good.....
Posted By: dukxdog Re: South Dakota winter???? - 03/02/21
It's been an easy winter on the birds. A recent bout of below zero for a week but overall good conditions.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota winter???? - 03/02/21
Hard to imagine an easier winter. The worst day hunting weather wise was the second weekend of the season back in October. Since then we had a cold snap but plenty of feed and cover.
Posted By: Bugger Re: South Dakota winter???? - 03/04/21
I have been feeding pheasants on my small patch of ground each year. This last year I planted milo sorghum for feed. The pheasants did quite well this year.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota winter???? - 05/18/21
Its been a difficult spring in some ways but I think ok so far. We are going to need some rain here and some warmer weather. Hard to string together two nice days in a row since this post.

Locally, and traditionally, we’ve always seen the greatest chick mortality with wet and or freezing weather — sleet, flooding etc — throughout June, from hens on eggs in early June to the chicks later on, so June is a crucial month for the little ones.

But it’s long been known that the ultimate pheasant-limiting factor is cover and in NW Iowa, we’ve lost most of that, and that’s mostly why our good neighbors in SD have lots of birds (and other game) — lots of cover, both natural grasses and weedy planted crops.
© 24hourcampfire