Home
I had thought AZ and NM best states for these. What about CO -NV-or SD? Anyone had good luck with these birds?

And public access or land hunting rights?
Mountain quail? Or mearns/Montezuma Quail?
450 I think scaled quail are found in TX. , Az., NM., maybe in southern Co., I think mt. quail are found in Idaho, but not sure if they are hunted.. Idaho was a sleeper for quail, but I am not sure now.. I have hunted scaled, gambles, and bobwhites.. No others..
I've hunted scaled quail successfully in CO, NM & AZ. Never found huge numbers but had some fun hunts with a great Vizsla 13-24 years back. Remind me of pheasants the way they run, but my dog was good on them just like on pheasants.

I successfully hunted Mt Quail in OR about 19 yrs ago but that was the only place I've hunted that had them. Beautiful birds!
I hunted mountain quail in northern California and got into them pretty good on the national forests there, with seemingly unlimited public access. I didn't have a dog but still managed to get several. They are a challenge at least for me where I hunted them due to their nature and the brush height. I can hunt several types of birds effectively without a dog but these suckers threw me for a loop, though I have only spent 3 days after them. They have a very peculiar call and are very vocal, like most quail are.

Northwestern Nevada and Oregon have them too but I have not chased them there. Idaho does have a population but they're off limits to hunting. I have zero clue about other states. I have seen scaled quail in New Mexico but know pretty much zilch about them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mountain quail would be OR, CA, NV. I do not believe ID or WA have a season.

Scaled quail would be AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, and CO

T_Inman, you ever go down to Mexico to hunt elegant quail?
I have not.
We had blue or scaled quail at the Ranch when I was a kid. Last covey I saw was about 10 years ago.

I figure the hogs got the few that were left.
© 24hourcampfire