Home
Posted By: Reba South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
When hunting small game in SD is there a requirement for non-leaded shotgun shells anywhere in the state?

I understand the requirement for non-lead on water fowl.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
I got this info off the SDGFP FAQ website, but check yourself just to be sure.
All waterfowl requires nontoxic.
Upland game requires it on Game Production areas and Waterfowl Production Areas.
Other types of public land like BLM and Walk-In land do not require it for upland birds.
Posted By: Reba Re: South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
THANKS!

FAQ website seems to me it should be in the Regs someplace.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
I find the website not exactly user friendly, it used to be more intuitive, but every time it’s updated I find it harder to find what I want.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
Its a poor website indeed, they're not trying to make it easy. I don't find any state's website to be friendly either, though, I guess.

Anyway I think that is accurate. All migratory bird hunting requires non toxic shot. Upland hunting requires it when on GPA's and WPA's.

Hunting small game on national forest, national grassland, BLM, Walk in Acres and private land, all ok to use regular plain old up to 100% Pb lead shot.
Posted By: Reba Re: South Dakota Small Game? - 09/22/21
THANK YOU!!!!!!
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Its a poor website indeed, they're not trying to make it easy. I don't find any state's website to be friendly either, though, I guess.

Anyway I think that is accurate. All migratory bird hunting requires non toxic shot. Upland hunting requires it when on GPA's and WPA's.

Hunting small game on national forest, national grassland, BLM, Walk in Acres and private land, all ok to use regular plain old up to 100% Pb lead shot.

This and the websites are not user friendly because state government pays low wages and does not get much for programmers and website designers. The BIT is sh*t. Mb

Iowa’s is a convoluted crows nest to make your way through also. I often wonder, who writes or constructs those. It’s usually just a simple matter good organization.
© 24hourcampfire