Home
So I must be way out of tune with new gear. I have been hunting using the standard cordura and orange bird hunting vests, with the shell loops, bird pocket in the back and a few large zippered pockets. At the weight comes down on your shoulders. I see that many people are using "strap vests" now, which seem to be like suspenders attached to a fanny pack or "bat belt" or your gear. Are you guys using them in the field and if so, which ones are doing a good job for you?
Interesting you should bring this up. My friend and I recently purchased two vests from Final Rise. We both got the Summit Vest System.

https://finalrise.com/

We used them for the first time last week. Previously to this both of us have been hunting with a conventional vest. Immediately we noticed the weight distribution made the gear we put into the vest feel very light! No more dragging weight on shoulders. my friend and I are very pleased with this vest. The shoulder straps are very thin so there was no issue mounting and shooting the shotgun.

I didn't order the hydration system or some of the extra bags. Friend did.

It has a many zippered pockets, multiple attachment points all over the vest for all sorts of things, even has an area where you could tuck in and hold a jacket when not in use. At this point I have not figured out a use for all the zippered pockets. It absolutely blows away that conventional vest for storage!

I used the two front pockets to evenly distribute the shells. The pouches have a zipper and a velcro flap. Both can be left open for quick access to shells or covered AND zipped when crawling under a barbed wire fence or when done for the day. I hated the old vest as shells would fall out when I stored it.

The garmin tracking handheld unit fit into a smaller pocket on the outside of the front shell bag. I attached the lanyard to one of the many D rings nearby. If I felt it was necessary I could affix a smaller bag to one of the vest shoulder straps.

The only thing I didn't like it was the large twin water bottles and holsters. I didn't like how far out the bottles sat at my sides as my arms would occasionally rub on them as I walked. I haven't tried but with all the attachment loops etc I might be able to attach them more towards the rear. Instead I put four smaller store bought water bottles in the rear game pouch as it was hot and my two dogs require occasional drinks.

I had 2 1/2 boxes of 20 gauge shells, the four water bottles, some snacks an extra light long sleeved shirt and my Garmin astro and the system was wonderful as the weight didn't bear down on me like the vest did. For some of the longer mearns hunts I know I could put in 8 bottles of water and hardly know I was carrying them. Can't say that for the old vest!!!!

I would highly recommend the Summit Vest by Final Rise
I also bought a Final Rise late last year. I think it should work well. A guy should also look closely at Hunt Redi vests. I played with one of those recently and it is also very well thought out.

https://www.huntredi.com/
I've pretty much eliminated the vest and have gone to a stap vest in warm weather and a coat in colder weather. Mine is a Camelback Bird Hunter. I rarely use the bladder feature, I load up before I leave the truck and if it is hot ust a bottle in the game pouch for the dog and pour it into my hat for him to drink out of (cools me when I put it back on).
Filson for last 20 years.
Originally Posted by gunscrew
This is what I have. I will likely wear out before it will. That said, it could use a better pocket arrangement. I'll likely never go back to a "real" vest. IMO the strap is more comfortable and versatile.
I use a Filson strap vest for 16ga and over bulky late season clothing. For early season over just a shirt I keep 20ga shells in a more traditional Filson vest. Both were promotional gifts from an annual event.
I bought the Bird N Lite strap vest last year after my dog ruined my old conventional bird vest. It was easier for me to get the birds in the strap vest. I used to keep my e collar remote in the inside pocket of the old vest with the new one I had to figure something else out. Strap vest was better over a heavy coat too.
I have two Filson Strap vests, one traditional and one with a mesh game bag for the warmest weather in early season

I use an Orvis all orange vest sometimes that I cut the interior shoulder straps out of to make it more comfortable when it is really cold, it cuts the wind and keeps me warm once I get going.
Originally Posted by pointer
This is what I have. I will likely wear out before it will. That said, it could use a better pocket arrangement. I'll likely never go back to a "real" vest. IMO the strap is more comfortable and versatile.

My sentiments too as far as preferring strap vests over traditional bird vests. I have a Filson and an LLBean vest and like both. There are other newer styles out there, so look them over and decide on what features you really need to have, e.g. pockets for hydration bladders, pouches for GPS or e-collar controllers, etc.
Originally Posted by pointer

For Dove and Quail hunting, I prefer my Folsom strap vest over anything else. Especially in hot weather.
I use the Tenzing BV16. Adequate shell storage and game bag, extra compartments for first aid and such, plus it's hydration bladder compatible (which makes it easier to keep the pups' thirsts slaked). Nice, wide, comfortable shoulder straps aid in comfort.

https://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/489/s/tz-bv16/category/111/
Last year I fould at a pheasant festival that my traditional vest shifted considerably and placed extra weight on one or the other shoulder. I also tend to be on the warm side when walking and the vest was another layer to deal with.

I picked up a Tenzing BV16 and have used it this year for sharptails, pheasants and grey partridge. I have 20+ outings with it. Positives -- easy to load birds, good weight distribution, enough pockets for shells / small camera, good carrying capability to take a jacket off and load it on the back while still having red showing --- Negative -- the only negative for me is the small water bottle carriers on the front on each side --- they are pretty much useless -- do not have tie-ins and if you place a small bottle in their climbing over stuff your leg can push it out. I added a couple of after market carriers behind the side pockets. Good investiment for me as I no longer have to deal with shifting weight at times when I go to shoot. Attached is a picture with the morning hoodie stuff in the carry compartment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Wow, looks like a lot of people use them. I must not be paying attention because I never seem to see these things in Cabelas or Sportsmans etc. I didnt even know that they existed. I will definately check them out. Are all the birds stored outside on loops?
Model dependent but many have game bags. I like the Quilomene I have. It could easily serve as a day pack for hunting four-legged critters too.
Originally Posted by Oakster
Are all the birds stored outside on loops?

I think he just did that for the sake of taking the pic. That Tenzing vest has a very roomy game bag inside.

Originally Posted by IANative
Originally Posted by Oakster
Are all the birds stored outside on loops?

I think he just did that for the sake of taking the pic. That Tenzing vest has a very roomy game bag inside.

Correct --- the birds were placed in the backstrapping just for the picture. The game bag on the Tenzing has lots of room and is very well vented allowning the birds to cool down.
Originally Posted by 30338
I also bought a Final Rise late last year. I think it should work well. A guy should also look closely at Hunt Redi vests. I played with one of those recently and it is also very well thought out.

https://www.huntredi.com/

One is listed in the Classifieds. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...or-sale-hunt-redi-top-of-the-line#UNREAD
I picked up a Browning Pheasants Forever strap vest last year because I wanted something more open for the warm days. It is better than the old style vest I had, but the back panel isn't vented so I was still sweating quite a bit last week when it was in the 60's in North Dakota. The only other problem I had was forgetting my safety glasses because it doesn't have the small zippered pocket for them like my old vest. It does have a nice pouch on the back for storing a sweat shirt when you have to shed a layer and it has a couple water bottle holders.

Jerry
Been using a strap vest for past 15 years. Prefer it over the old vest style.
I use an old Columbia strap vest that a buddy gave me maybe 15 years ago. He went hunt 2 times and never went back so it was almost new. I have worn the crap out of it and it is still going. It is getting a little long in the tooth but will last another couple of years.
Some years when it is really hot, I just wear a sporting clays style apron. I will admit when you get a few birds in it that it does not wear too well.
A Quilomene strap vest is my go to favorite vest.
I am using a Chief Upland this year for the first time and so far really like it. I like the modular design and being able to add accessories where you want them. With a couple of birds in the game bag it was very comfortable.
Been using an orvis sling pack/vest for maybe 6yrs. I like it because it carries the stuff I need, and with one strap my gun mount isn't interfered with.
Filson with hunter orange. Not only is it flexible for the weather, when you have different clothes you don't have to be transferring all your stuff. While I shot all different gauges, it seems like the pocket full of 20 ga. #6s would handle most of it. There were always items you just count on being there and when you are always changing, they aren't. Especially the wipe. ;-{>8
I'm also a fan of the Filson strap vest. A bonus if you hunt with vintage guns is there's no exposed snaps, zippers, buckles, etc. to scar your gun.
I used an Orvis strap vest for about 14 years then switched to a Wing Works vest when my buddy bought me one as a gift. The Orvis is very light and is a nice vest. The Wing Works will last longer than I will. It holds really large water bottles and has plent of storage. They offer custom sizing and several add on features so you can set it up to suit you.

Lots of great gear out there to pick from.
I guess I'm hard to please. Two Boyt Shell Bags (put onto one belt) with shoulder straps added the hard way. Rear view, showing the holster for the nn-pliers, in case of a bad porcupine encounter.

I love the Boyt Bags for hiking and hunting. I add an orange Cabela's lightweight game vest when bird hunting. It holds the toilet paper, emergency stuff, dog's water dish, gloves, perhaps a jacket. I can wear the strapped Boyt Bags underneath a coat or jacket just fine. Fastening a belt over a jacket just does not work for me.

I can put a pheasant in each bag if I do not have the orange vest on, or two grouse. If I have to carry that third pheasant back to the vehicle then I had a great day!

Usually have the orange Cabela's vest on, though, unless the conditions force me to replace it with a jacket or coat.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Eye Dominance and the Subconscious Mind in Shotgunning
Regular lightweight vest for me.The strap vests rub me raw in uncomfortable places.
I like the Filson. Only thing is I bought the model with orange, and it’s so dirty now the orange is pretty much useless. Haven’t looked into how to clean it but probably should before next year.
i have one of the Browing Bird N lite strap vests that has internal adjustment straps etc. I much prefer it to the old cloth vests and even coats
Old school I guess when it's warm for dove and early grouse I wear a cotton t- shirt, a light flannel long sleave shirt and a regular ventilated panel game vest. When it gets cooler a t-shirt, long sleave insulated shirt with a Filson tin cloth regular vest. Really cool to cold with wind the insulated shirt is replaced with a flannel shirt with a good quality hooded sweat shirt under the same regular Filson tin cloth. I like a zippered sweat shirt to vent as needed. I don't have a strap vest but I guess I'll check them out...mb
Used a Filson strap vest for years, and actually wore it out. About that time Browning offered a much lighter-weight model, probably the one Gitem12 mentioned, which I am still using, as not only is it lighter but cooler. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as I might like, but the right shirt underneath helps there--plus not carrying as much schidt!
Good to see you sticking your head out of the Out'e door writers section.
Any of these higher end strap vests cinch down at the waist as well as over the shoulders to disperse the weight to both your waist and your shoulders? I've never handled one of the newer, higher end ones.

Dad and I both have one from Cabelas, probably got them 15 years ago. Lightweight, so works good from 80 degree early season or can loosen the straps up to go over heavy coats and insulated bibs when it is around 0 out.

Dad modeling his-
I've been using strap vests for bird hunting for over 30 years, grouse, woodcock, and pheasants. They just feel right to me and I think it's easier to attach electronics (dog) to a strap vest than it is more traditional designs without shoulder straps. I've owned several over the years but currently am using a quilomene san carlos, a filson tin cloth gamebag, and an old LL Bean partridge vest. It also easy to layer underneath as the weather demands because they are all size adjustable.
I like them a lot, a strap vest just works for me. Replaced my 45 year old Cabela’s version with one of the new Filson’s. The Filson was quite pricy but appears to be very well made and should last me the rest of my days.
Ive been using a Q5 center fire vest for a couple years and really like it. I e also heard a lot of good stuff about the final rise vest. A good waist belt system really saves the shoulders over a several day hunt.
I use one when the weather is warm , been using the same one for probably 45-46 years . Just a basic rig , pocket on back , two pockets on front with loops in them. Don't remember the brand and the tags are long gone but it is in good enough condition to last longer than I will. The shell loops lost their stretch 20 or more years ago . Once it gets cold I go to the equally old Filson coat or one sold by Nitelight that has a removable liner. If I need any kind of a jacket I don't use the strap rig.
I just ordered a Final Rise Sumitt - we'll see when it gets here. Season is a month out from now.
Surprised I didn't comment earlier.

I have three I use regularly. The most used is a simple strap vest from Columbia. It has two front pockets and a game bag. I wear it early in the year as it is light and cool as well as late in the year as it adjusts enough to fit over winter clothing heavy enough for below zero temps. It's simplicity does not restrict movement in the winter either. If I need more pockets I am covered with the cargo pants I wear.

I have an L.L.Bean strap vest which is basically a standard vest with straps in the front. It also has a waist belt which greatly helps distribute weight off the shoulders and to the hips. It also has a cinch strap on the chest which keeps the vest forward and the weight more vertical than leaning back.

I wear it when the weather is still warm trending towards cool due to more material and it has a Camelback hydration system. The water carried on the back is a bit easier than packing bottles in my pockets though I generally carry both for the dogs. It has a lot more pockets with the nicety of two transmitter pockets for e-collars. Very helpful when running two dogs.

The third is from Cabela's and is similar to the above but without the hydration set up. I wear it later when temps have cooled enough water is not a main concern. It is a little bigger in size which allows it to be less restrictive when wearing a coat underneath. It easily handles my needs to zero and even colder depending on winds.

I have vests and a hunting coat or two but I seldom wear them for hunting. They tend to be too warm or too restrictive when cold.
I use a drake strap vest. I used to rely on the pockets of my hunting coat, but it seems that there are more warmer days down here in the duck blind than usual, so i wear it over a long sleeve shirt. Also have used it for quail hunting, with an orange shirt underneath. I like the drake style because the pockets spring open and allow for quick grabbing of shells when reloading. Also it is waterproof.

I have been using a McAlister strap vest for years. The cotton is starting to fail and I have sewed it a couple of times. Just orddered a Filson to replace it. I prefer strap to a Vest with armholes. It can be worn over anything.
Wife just got me an ALPS Outdoors Upland X. Seems well made and ticks all the boxes for me. We’ll see how it does this season. I wanted flexibility in layers, comfort and more storage options.
© 24hourcampfire