Home
Posted By: dukxdog South Dakota October 2021 - 11/01/21
The season started October 16, 2021. The guys have been doing pretty well. Some better than others. You have to hunt for birds on public lands. I started hunting October 25. Pheasant number are pretty good. It's not as dry or drought conditions as the reports I heard before actually getting my boots on the ground.

The grass is still tall and green. Ponds and lakes have good water levels everywhere I have been.

A good amount of corn has been harvested and I see combines running every day.

Lots of beans still standing in the fields which us unusual. I'm not sure the reason as the beans I checked were fully developed.

Most of the Walk-In and WPA's and ditches have had hay cut out of them. They left part standing but the cut areas have no cover for pheasants which is a shame. I was very surprised to see the WPA's hayed since they are posted as Federal land.

I have shot my limit of three roosters every day in anywhere from 1-3 hours time. I'm expecting good things until I head home for Thanksgiving.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: kingston Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/01/21
This is bucket list stuff for me!!!

Great pictures!

Thanks for posting.

Good report. I’m sure many were wondering about bird numbers because of the drought reports. Hope you have a good fall.
Posted By: pullit Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/01/21
Love those old SXS's. great pictures
I hunted SD the first week for non-res and my experience was different. I hunted near Chamberlain on walk-in and GPA areas. There was lots of standing grain put some areas were being harvested. There was still water in some ponds & lakes but it was obvious the water level was quite a bit lower and we did encounter dried up smaller ponds. In one week of hard hunting, using a professionally trained GSP, the dog pointed 5 roosters. Four of those presented a shot (one was in very heavy cedar cover) and we bagged two.

The day before the season opener, we talked to biologists at the fish and game dept in Chamberlain and got their input on the best public land spots to hunt. We also talked to other hunters who also were experiencing limited success. In driving around, hundreds of miles that first week, we only saw 2 roosters on road right of ways (we didn't shoot them as that is not our style of hunting). The only people getting any significant # of birds were those hunters who used lodges or guide services. On the Friday before the opener we saw several trucks loaded with crates of roosters that were heading to those places.

Maybe we picked the wrong area of SD to hunt (we did select the Chamberlain area as one report I read before leaving said it had the highest pheasant density), but the hunting was very poor by all accounts. Maybe as the crops get all harvested, the birds will seek the grass/cover offered on public lands but opening week was a huge disappointment for me.

Cooper, sorry to hear of your experience, especially after coming half way across the country. Our group hunts that area too but has access to private ground and though we usually do very well, I expect numbers will be down there too.

The greatest fun for me is the camaraderie of good friends and the friendly banter exchanged with some birds tossed in. Of course, we are only three hours away.

The counterpoint to your experience, is that moisture has already been better this fall than last fall across SD and Iowa. This, with normal snowfall s winter and rain next spring should help chick survival rebound next summer.

So don’t give up. I certainly appreciate the time, expense, and anticipation of guys who come to hunt those gaudy, gorgeous birds from a long ways away.
Just got back and my experience mirrors the op's - plenty of birds and all we did was walk them up with labs...
Wasn't it pretty warm the first week? That results in dogs breathing through their mouths, so they miss a lot.

To me it was still too warm until maybe Monday of this week. Then drizzled all day yesterday (near Huron). Today my shorthair pointed a couple of roosters but they were tough to hit in the 25-30 mph wind.

I lost weight this year. Maybe I shouldn't have. smile
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/16/21
I read your report with interest Cooper. Thats a bummer. I can see some things that you did wrong in my view.

A couple would be that you were too early to hunt public land at all, as the birds would tend to be in standing crops, and then you doubled down on that by being here the first week (right after the resident public land opener) to compete with others similarly situated. What few birds were on public land then, would be greatly diminished that week. If people are going to hunt for free on public land, then I suggest that people come later in the year, when the birds have come off of private land and into the public cover. I hope it works out better for you next time.
Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/17/21
Finding lots of Birds…and putting in lots of miles to find them. Winds have been crazy…up to 50 mph. And many are getting up, catching the wind and are gone. However some have made the mistake.

Pics to follow when home.
Posted By: HughW Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/17/21
dukxdog thanks for the pictures and report. A SD pheasant trip has been on my bucket list for trips for awhile and I hope to get down there in the next couple of years.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/17/21
Still plenty of birds in South Dakota. Weather has been nice with just a couple days of light snow and heavy winds.

I'm finding the bird density varies dramatically from one area of the state to another, and previous years' densities are no guide. I cannot tell why.

Eye Dominance and the Subconscious Mind in Shotgunning
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/17/21
The birds are spotty from year to year because of rainfall and agricultural practices. Some guy doesn't choose to plant wheat, or his wheat doesn't get rain, or he burns his ditches/sloughs, and you get a natural response to the lack of habitat.
Originally Posted by battue
Finding lots of Birds…and putting in lots of miles to find them. Winds have been crazy…up to 50 mph. And many are getting up, catching the wind and are gone. However some have made the mistake.

Pics to follow when home.

Yep. I arrived there a week ago today and was carrying a full length gun case into our lodging. Wind was blowing 50+ and I told our host that if it hadn't been for a post on the front porch, I might have ended up in Nebraska.
Hunted 3 days around Halloween. Public land. Killed 5 roosters in 3 days. Hard hunting. Most found in cattails, so wore rubber boots all 3 days.

I realize the drought was brutal this year but it was sort of depressing to see how much grass and cattails got hayed. Some of that productive cover may not be back for a decade.
My lab got skunked too. All just part of it.

I might just add that by far most hunters go to SD from between opening day and Thanksgiving. To add to what BK said, 1) the public and walk-in areas get a lot of pressure, while 2) crops on private ground are often not harvested yet, making many birds inaccessible to public-landers. 3) Weather, if there is moisture, it is almost always rain, the bain of all pheasants, and making for a muddy, slogging mess for the hunters and the dogs. If it is mild and fair, with plenty of cover, hunting can be very,very challenging. Wind can come early, or late.

My point is from Thx’g on, hunter pressure and competition are greatly reduced. Crops are usually mostly harvested, reducing hiding cover. Weather, ah-ha — the wild card, if precipitating, is usually snow, almost always an advantage to hunters within reason. 6 fresh inches — great! 1 1/2 feet with a 25 mph wind and -20* wind chill— very bad! But that’s weather roulette in the upper Midwest during late season.

Point being, there are reasons for going to SD later rather than early.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I might just add that by far most hunters go to SD from between opening day and Thanksgiving. To add to what BK said, 1) the public and walk-in areas get a lot of pressure, while 2) crops on private ground are often not harvested yet, making many birds inaccessible to public-landers. 3) Weather, if there is moisture, it is almost always rain, the bain of all pheasants, and making for a muddy, slogging mess for the hunters and the dogs. If it is mild and fair, with plenty of cover, hunting can be very,very challenging. Wind can come early, or late.

My point is from Thx’g on, hunter pressure and competition are greatly reduced. Crops are usually mostly harvested, reducing hiding cover. Weather, ah-ha — the wild card, if precipitating, is usually snow, almost always an advantage to hunters within reason. 6 fresh inches — great! 1 1/2 feet with a 25 mph wind and -20* wind chill— very bad! But that’s weather roulette in the upper Midwest during late season.

Point being, there are reasons for going to SD later rather than early.

I agree. I live so far away, I need to bundle my elk, pheasant and duck trips out of state. So I hunt when I can. Some day, I'm gonna pay one of these guys with private land, but I'm still too angry at em to not try public land. Driving those roads, finding a good field to push based on cover and the prevailing wind is great. If you are lucky, a burger and a beer mid afternoon at some small town bar. It's a good time with good guys. Maybe when I retire, I'll make a later trip. Hell, I might just move there. Doubt it, but might happen.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/19/21
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

So did Otis. 2nd year in a row. Quart of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, squirt of Dawn dishsoap, sponge it on, rub it in , let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse off. That got 97% of the smell. They say doing it a second time will get 99%+. His collars still have a bit of an odor...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/19/21
I appreciate the info on the skunk and am planning to incorporate that stuff into my dog bag this weekend. My big game seasons are over...look out roosters!
Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/20/21
Returned from Dukxdogs Pheasant camp...Weather was nice, then a light snow, then some 30-50mph winds...Didn't see as many Birds as last year, but more than enough if you put in the leg work....Any who think they are stocking Birds on public lands, need to go out there and take a hike....

Ran into very few others hunting....

A few pics.....Merlot had a fine time.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Friends Setter has a deadly nose....he could have cashed him in if he wanted to...

Good deal Battue. Glad you got your exercise and some birds. What every hunter understands and what every type of hunting offers is the complete package of camaraderie, dogs, weather, the countryside, exuberance, weariness, and great shooting. Or a day when you are behind every bird.

Then there’s camp, food, a tent, or a motel with a hot tub, a celebratory cold one, and a nap. 🙂

Oh, and great pics as usual. Did your SxS’s get the week off?
Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/20/21
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Oh, and great pics as usual. Did your SxS’s get the week off?

Missed three easy Birds in perhaps an hour with it...So it paid the penalty and was put away... laugh
Posted By: HughW Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/20/21
Great pictures battue thanks for putting them up. Love the dogs.
Originally Posted by battue
Returned from Dukxdogs Pheasant camp...Weather was nice, then a light snow, then some 30-50mph winds...Didn't see as many Birds as last year, but more than enough if you put in the leg work....Any who think they are stocking Birds on public lands, need to go out there and take a hike....

Ran into very few others hunting....

A few pics.....Merlot had a fine time.

Friends Setter has a deadly nose....he could have cashed him in if he wanted to...

It looks like Clancy has filled out a bit. I’m glad to see that you and Phil had another great trip out there. I’m sure Merlot had a blast. He is certainly an enthusiastic bird dog! We still plan to head that way next year. We are getting ready to start more serious/disciplined training with Rocky. So far, it has all been fun stuff, with no discipline involved. Thanks for posting the pictures, Harry.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/21/21
Looks like a fantastic time!
Posted By: dukxdog Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/23/21
Just wait until you see photos of Higgi with birds next year. Merlot has a new buddy. He is a black ball of energy yet calms down nicely with some petting.

Merlot has real personality!

Clancy is a real bird dog. Methodical and thorough searcher. Solid points. Needs a bit of work on the retrieve but that's not a tough fix. A guy can kill lots of birds over Clancy!

Always great to gave Harry and Phil out for the hunt!
Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/23/21
Some days fly by faster than others....Einstein could have studied 10 days hunting Wild Roosters at the Bunkhouse and saved a lot of time and chalk.....

I think he got it..

Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/23/21
Notice....He avoided mentioning chokes....smart fellow.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/24/21
Ha I love that
Wednesday it was about 18 deg. and blowing 25-30 mph almost all day. Very challenging to shoot in that kind of wind.

We were nearly back to the vehicle (me lagging behind) when knucklehead went on a hard point by a hay bale. I watched my son walk in, and up went a rooster. He shot and the bird went down. I walked up and the dog was still looking for it where it had fallen. Son told me he got a glimpse of it running north. There was no way to tell the dog that, so we just let him work it out. A running rooster can cover a lot of ground fast so you hope the dog figures it out quickly.

After a very long couple of minutes he finally broke from the fall-area and headed north for 50 yds, then peeled off to the NW, tail wagging furiously the whole time, working back and forth.. At about 100 yds out there was a scramble and he caught him! Here he is bringing him back. Tough scenting conditions in wind like that, but their noses are amazing.

Without a good dog we'd have had no prayer of finding that bird.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: dukxdog Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/28/21
Good dog!
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/29/21
I love stuff like that!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

So did Otis. 2nd year in a row. Quart of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, squirt of Dawn dishsoap, sponge it on, rub it in , let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse off. That got 97% of the smell. They say doing it a second time will get 99%+. His collars still have a bit of an odor...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's the exact recipe I used. And yes, collars still had some smell when duck season opened. Now, I think it's gone.
Massengill (or any other brand) douche works very well at reducing skunk odor. It takes up less space, if that is an issue, and is already mixed for easy use. Just expect a few odd looks if you have to pick it up in your hunting clothes!

I'm off to SoDak Wednesday afternoon. Supposed to head out tomorrow but want to attend a funeral on Wednesday. Looks like the weather will be comparatively decent this time.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 11/30/21
Yes the weather should be about perfect. Too hot right now but cooling for the weekend.
Not going to make it to SD this year. Between the funeral for a friend's father and my wife "volunteering" me ("Well, you didn't leave Tuesday so I figured you weren't going!" was her justification) to help move her stepmother tomorrow it doesn't make sense to head out for only three days. This means I'll skip the second trip too as the remainder of the year is booked for other things.

We are headed to central SD next week for 3-4 days and I will probably make a second trip the week after Christmas.

So far the extended forecast, other than the ever present breezes of 15-20 per, look downright comfy in the 20’s-30’s*, with little chance of precipitation.

While well-stocked with shot shells, I noticed again today that our local Walmart has had the same twenty boxes of 16’s in #4’s since the beginning of our season. Must not be many sixteeners in NW Iowa. Nary a 12 or a 20 in at least a month or more though.
Posted By: battue Re: South Dakota October 2021 - 12/03/21
Remember....pics or......

You and Dukxdog have established very high standards for that but I will try to prove I was there..right now I’m trying to kick a bad case of bronchitis. Until Tuesday, I was concerned that “the Corona” was going to derail my trip.
© 24hourcampfire