Home
Posted By: luv2safari Sagehen Success - 09/25/22
Nevada has drastically reduced the sagehen season and limits. It's about time.

We had a two day season in an area I know well from many past hunts in my youth, and Owen and I went there Friday for the Saturday opener. The limit is reduced to two birds per day, but only two in possession. We were done yesterday by noon at our spot in Nevada's northern Washoe County. Our central NV area is now closed, a move far too late by NDOW.

Owen, like the mountain goat he is, walked up two medium sized flocks early and took a bird out of each. Since they flushed far out and were headed over steep rims, he shot only one each rise so he could spot the downed birds well. Shooting a double greatly reduces the odds of finding both birds; they often hit ground several hundred yards down over the brow of the ridges.

I hunted out some scattered birds and had two small flock rises; took one each rise. Being old, way too fat now, and a broken stumbler, I walked only about 4 miles. Owen did 9 1/2 per the GPS.

It was a great hunt with perfect 70s weather and no wind on top of our sagehen mountain. We shot the birds at about 6,900' elevation on a 7,920' mountain. Rumor is that this might be the last sagehen season. If so, it was a perfect way to end my 68 years hunting the great bird.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: pointer Re: Sagehen Success - 09/27/22
Very nicely done!! Such cool birds. I've put hunting them at the top of my dog's bucket list. Just gonna have to make the drive some year.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Sagehen Success - 09/27/22
Bruce---Where is Woody ??
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Sagehen Success - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Bruce---Where is Woody ??

We left Woody and Rosie at home for sagehen hunting in this hot weather.

There are scads of snakes out, and the dogs love to grab and shake snakes.
eek
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Sagehen Success - 09/28/22
Excellent. We are winding down sage grouse this week.. Not a good season.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Sagehen Success - 10/01/22
Very cool.

Congrats!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Sagehen Success - 10/02/22
Our season closed Friday. Wasn't as successful as normal, but it was due to very dry conditions.
© 24hourcampfire