Home
Posted By: JackVliet Upland boots - 10/13/22
What is everyone's go to boot for their upland bird hunting adventures?
Currently i use Danner sharptails and they have served me pretty well.
I like the idea of Russell Moccasin boots, but no way I can drop the coin on a pair.
Posted By: Teal Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
I basically wear "whatever" - either a pair of Doc Martin Chuka style shoes or an old pair of CAT steel toes.
Posted By: battue Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
Looked at Russel Moccasins and know without putting them on they lack ankle support for uneven and sidehill grounds. Really liked Solomon 4g gtx, Mine finally started to leak, and the reviews on the updated version were almost universally bad for separation. Bought a pair of Crispi Lapponia....Took at least 20 miles to break in, but now I'm happy with them.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by battue
Really liked Solomon 4g gtx, Mine finally started to leak, and the reviews on the updated version were almost universally bad

Call Solomon. I believe they will warranty your boots. I’ve sent a pair back as well and they’ve been good
Posted By: battue Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
Most likely they would, however they where beat up pretty good. When they stated to leak, it was a boot flood. Something let loose. They were at the end. One of the out of the box, most comfortable boots I have had.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
I’m loving Zamberlans
Posted By: ribka Re: Upland boots - 10/14/22
Depends if I chukar hunting in steep basalt lined hills- scarpa mountaineering type boot, chasing pheasants in wet sloughs- knee high rubber boots, sharpies -altra lone peak or grouse, quail Solomons, crispis..
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Upland boots - 10/15/22
Crispi Nevada GTX non-insulated have been great for me.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Upland boots - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by Teal
I basically wear "whatever" - either a pair of Doc Martin Chuka style shoes or an old pair of CAT steel toes.
Yep, usually just my everyday boots.
Posted By: Centurion75 Re: Upland boots - 10/15/22
depending on where I'm hunting.
Keen targhee, Irish setter Elk trackers or Muck boots.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Upland boots - 10/15/22
Here in Texas it's usually Chippewa snake boots.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Upland boots - 10/15/22
I wore Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 for several years because that was all I had. $200 cheaper than they are now, but still expensive. I do have some Keen low tops that allow every seed into my socks but are comfortable. This year I bought a pair of Kenetrek Corrie uninsulated hikers that easily broke in, are waterproof and provide good ankle support and traction. They were also cheaper than advertised at the local store. So far I am really liking them.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Upland boots - 10/20/22
Also happy with the Kenetrek Corrie's . Comfortable right out of the box and priced right for my wallet.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Upland boots - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by Lslite

I usually wear snake boots too, regardless of the amount of snakes around. They work pretty well unless it gets warm.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Upland boots - 10/22/22
A cheap pair of $30 “hiking” boots from Costco. Kombu or some schit.

They are light and cheap. Good sole.

https://www.costco.com/khombu-men's-hiker-boot.product.100853744.html
Posted By: trplem Re: Upland boots - 10/24/22
Chuck Taylor highs, Russell's Joe's PH, White Boy Timberland's, doesn't really matter. A good dog and a bunch of messing about with the shotgun you're using makes the biggest difference.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Upland boots - 10/24/22
I like and use Hanwag Alaska GTX for tough, rocky country like chukar canyons, also like Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers for the same in warmer weather. Boots for less severe hills that I like a lot are Danner Hood Winter Lights.

I have had no luck with any leather boot in constant really wet conditions, “waterproof” membranes or not. In fact I would much prefer they left out those linings as the boots with them take much longer to dry. Most work OK a couple times out, then leak, regardless of maker, IME.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Upland boots - 10/24/22

^^^This^^^
Posted By: pullit Re: Upland boots - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by MadMooner
A cheap pair of $30 “hiking” boots from Costco. Kombu or some schit.

They are light and cheap. Good sole.

https://www.costco.com/khombu-men's-hiker-boot.product.100853744.html

I bought a pair similar to these from Cabela's that have goretex in them. Light weight and comfortable. I did put a good insole in them as I do with most of my boots and shoes
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Upland boots - 10/25/22
Whatever you buy just make sure it's expensive and to color coordinate with your Filsons or tweed outfit and cap. The value of looking good out there so as to impress with your wealth and good taste simply can't be overstated.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Upland boots - 10/25/22
If it is dry out, I have no reservations about wearing my Thorgoood 8" moc toe work boots. Most comfortable boot I own.

I have Russell Moccasins (wife gave me a gift certificate, wouldn't have ordered otherwise) South 40s, custom to my measurements. No issues with them. Only wear them chasing pheasants in crop and CRP fields. I don't have issues with my ankles needing support, but haven't sidehilled much in them either.

When the conditions get a bit colder and wetter, I have some Crispi Guides and an older pair of Danner made in USA that I don't even recall the model.

The big learning I've got, everybody's foot is different and what works for one won't work for another. What is comfortable for one, is crippling to somebody else.
Posted By: pullit Re: Upland boots - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Whatever you buy just make sure it's expensive and to color coordinate with your Filsons or tweed outfit and cap. The value of looking good out there so as to impress with your wealth and good taste simply can't be overstated.

Maybe some blaze orange for safety
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Upland boots - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by pullit

Maybe some blaze orange for safety
I actually have a Filson tin cloth upland jacket and cap. I never wear them as they clash with my cheap pump shotguns and Carolina work boots.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Upland boots - 10/26/22
Well, I’ve had the same pair of Irish setter bird hunters (old green ones) for 30 years. They’re on their third set of soles, but still rocking. No idea the miles, but a LOT. Still have a pair of Filson chaps from 30 years ago, too. They sent me a bag of replacement snaps for when I knock them off and the leather is tattered, but they still eat up briars. Both were some of the best bird hunting $ I ever spent. I got some Danner broadhead boots on sale, which I’m liking, too. Not sure on longevity yet. Piss on cheap boots. Sam has wrecked my feet, so I get picky about comfort and support these days.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Upland boots - 10/27/22

Excellent advice.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Upland boots - 10/31/22
Most of my Upland hunting is pretty wet.

Sharptails are what I currently wear. Keep me dry and 10, miles is no problem.

Love my kenetreks, but reserve those for steeper sections.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Upland boots - 10/31/22
26 years ago I bought a pair of Hathorne Smoke Jumpers for $185. I use them for all my hunting, and any farm days where I will be doing hiking in rough country. Also wear them when I go in Makoshika park, about twice a year, as it's rattlesnake country. They're still in good shape and fit like a glove. Great for hiking and hill crawling. I treat them with leather treatment once every two years or so. Whites bought Hathorne out, and I see they sell for $625 now. If they ever need it, I'll send them in and get them rebuilt.
Posted By: Jerryv Re: Upland boots - 10/31/22
I have gone through a variety of pairs over the years. Currently using a pair of Danner Pronghorns that I picked up on sale a few years ago. They seem to be wearing well. Haven't had to test the water tightness yet, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. I like the gortex liners I have had in past boots, but it seems like once it gets soaked through it never works again. I have never worn out a sole on any pair of boots. The toes always go first for me. It is from the heavy grass that is abrasive enough to wear through almost anything eventually.

Jerry
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Upland boots - 11/01/22
Same as pretty much everything else I hunt...Lowa Hunter GTXs, or muck boots if called for.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Upland boots - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Same as pretty much everything else I hunt...Lowa Hunter GTXs, or muck boots if called for.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😳🦫
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Upland boots - 11/01/22
Really depends on the weather. My favorite is a very old pair of Browning Kangaroo boots. I also use a pair a Danners, if it’s cold. Can’t forget my snake boots. Hasbeen
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Upland boots - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by T_Inman

😳🦫

Well those are for only when I hunt in Oregon, though I figured that went without saying.
Posted By: greenomics Re: Upland boots - 11/05/22
Have had good luck with Danner Pronghorns but have been preferring Lowa Renegades recently.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Upland boots - 11/06/22
For birds, usually some flavor of Salomon or lowa.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Upland boots - 04/27/23

How often is the "snake function" employed?
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Upland boots - 04/27/23
I wear a pair of Muck Edgewater Classics. They've lasted me over 10yrs.

If not those, I wear a pair of Cabelas Iron Ridge 400gr boots.
Posted By: battue Re: Upland boots - 04/28/23

Rare to find any tweed hunting clothing on this side....However I found when knocking on doors, how one presents themselves seems to more often grant access than looking like something that crawled out from under the bridge. That and there are those who appreciate nice functional outdoor gear. Much like some who appreciate a custom made handgun. Which i would suspect make them on the expensive side.

Others think you can't be a real hunter unless you look like you have been in the brush for a month without a toothbrush or razor. I've seen many exceptions to that line of thinking.

As far as leather boots...I have yet to have a pair that were used hard for 3 or 4 years, that I wasn't thinking about replacing. Mostly due to water issues. Have found some of the best value in an upland boot are some of the better rubber boots with support. Lacrosse and Muck.
Posted By: tops911 Re: Upland boots - 04/28/23
I'm a fan of the Army issue boots, Belleville specifically. That can be had in almost any size and don't cost that much. Since retiring I have tried several boots but always come back to the issue boot for three season use. Combine with a pair of Goretex socks they work in some really wet weather too (over 2 weeks in daily rain and I never had wet feet)
Posted By: ribka Re: Upland boots - 04/28/23

spoken like someone who never hunts
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Upland boots - 05/01/23
There are lots of good USA made boots that are available at good prices if you start looking at those designed for the military. I've tried several and these are the most comfortable I've found. They are sized big, I normally wear a 12, but ordered these in an 11. These aren't priced much more than the Chinese made hikers and are about 1/2 what you'd pay for the high end Danner, Krispi or others.

These are non-goretex and are very breathable for hot weather use.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-390-hot-weather-coyote-brown

Same boot with Goretex.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-c790-gtx-coyote-brown

Goretex and insulation.

https://tacticalgear.com/belleville-c795-200g-waterproof-combat-boots-coyote-brown
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Upland boots - 05/03/23
Originally Posted by ribka

spoken like someone who never hunts
ribka is a dumbfuuck who can't understand sarcasm. He's also a giant, pompous ass hole who doesn't do much of anything here except go around insulting and berating others. All in all, a sad little excuse for a man.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: Upland boots - 05/06/23
What is your size? I have some 9 I'd sell you that are too narrow for my EE feet.
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Upland boots - 05/09/23
Muck's if its wet area, otherwise Red Wing workboots.
Posted By: shotgunjock Re: Upland boots - 05/10/23
I've been a Danner "Pronghorn" man for 10+ years.
I always bring along my pair of Le Chameau neoprene lined
boots that I bought on closeout 15+ years ago, and love them!
Posted By: GreenMtnBoy Re: Upland boots - 07/29/23
Asolo TPS 520s. I’ve had my pair for nearly a decade now and whenever they wear out I’ll send them back to the factory in Italy to get resoled and hopefully they’ll last another decade or so. They’re very comfortable and warm but breathe well for a fall/winter hiking boot and are the only boot I’ve ever owned that I can wear on a ten-mile haul with a pack without getting any hot spots on my toes. Not cheap, but quality seldom is.

[Linked Image from di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.net]
Posted By: skeen Re: Upland boots - 07/29/23
Danner USA-made Grouse boot.

https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/grouse-8-brown.html
Posted By: battue Re: Upland boots - 07/30/23
Solomon Quest 4 Gore Tex.....has yet to be dethroned here.

Gave Crispi a chance to do so and they couldn't.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Upland boots - 07/30/23
The inexpensive Cabelas Mountain Hikers on the left have served very well from elk to deer to pheasants. Uninsulated, I wear them into very cold temps as I rarely get cold feet, probably my third pair in 3 decades. This is a leather edition but they also make (or did) a synthetic material model. These boots are very light.

The second is Browning’s ultralight, insulated (400 grams I think) upland boot. Kangaroo hideo — soft and very light. Needs to be pretty brutal before I wear these but the quality is excellent.

Both have Gore-Tex linings.

Your Cabelas Mountain hikers remind me on Mendel Perfects … which when thinking on it, they were the most comfortable boot I ever had. I may try them again.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Upland boots - 07/30/23

Rare to find any tweed hunting clothing on this side....However I found when knocking on doors, how one presents themselves seems to more often grant access than looking like something that crawled out from under the bridge. That and there are those who appreciate nice functional outdoor gear. Much like some who appreciate a custom made handgun. Which i would suspect make them on the expensive side.

Others think you can't be a real hunter unless you look like you have been in the brush for a month without a toothbrush or razor. I've seen many exceptions to that line of thinking.

As far as leather boots...I have yet to have a pair that were used hard for 3 or 4 years, that I wasn't thinking about replacing. Mostly due to water issues. Have found some of the best value in an upland boot are some of the better rubber boots with support. Lacrosse and Muck.
I've seen your picture. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but clothing isn't gonna make you look good any more than it could make Whoopie Goldberg or Phyllis Diller look good.. On the other hand, I'm a dashingly handsome bastard no matter what clothes I'm wearing. I can't say whether that is the reason I have permission to hunt private land totaling several thousand acres in 6 Counties or whether it's just my charming personality but ground to hunt has never been much of a problem for me.
I thought Phyllis was hot, especially with that after sex cigarette look.

I’m thinking both are hotter than anything you’ve seen undressed for 40 years.

Deer don’t count!!!!!

Deer don’t count!!!!!
Permission to rut on good looking pussy has never been a problem for me either. No doubt another blessing attributable to my good looks and charm.
Battue, the Mountain Hikers may have been made by Mendel for Cabelas. I can’t remember.

Deer don’t count!!!!!
Permission to rut on good looking pussy has never been a problem for me either. No doubt another blessing attributable to my good looks and charm.

Black heart, you may be good looking, but I think you can omit the “charm” aspect of your personality. You continue to seem angry, insecure, and jealous in a class-conscious way.

It’s a tough way to go through life.

Deer don’t count!!!!!

Spikes only get the left overs....take what you can.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Battue, the Mountain Hikers may have been made by Mendel for Cabelas. I can’t remember.

Couldn't find "Perfects" on their website...Closest I could find is the Comfort fit Hiker. Ordered a pair. Have had the Crispi for two years and they leaked....two pairs and both were a flood plane.....Will see how these go.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Deer don’t count!!!!!

Black heart, you may be good looking, but I think you can omit the “charm” aspect of your personality. You continue to seem angry, insecure, and jealous in a class-conscious way.

It’s a tough way to go through life.
All is not as it seems. Many here exhibit a snobbery that shows through like a beacon in the night. Not much I find more repulsive than a snob and I love fuggin with them. When they're obviously such physically inferior specimens, it makes it both easy and hilarious.

Deer don’t count!!!!!

Spikes only get the left overs....take what you can.
I wouldn't know much about that myself but you do have my sympathy.
Damn, you’re still in velvet

You little nubbin😂😂

You off the tit??? 😂😂
Damn, you’re still in velvet

You little nubbin😂😂

You off the tit??? 😂😂
I'll give it to you, you have a helluva sense of humor. I still remember when you were gonna kick my ass. Then I saw a picture you posted of your scrawny old ass. That was fuggin hilarious !!!!!
No you were going to come down here and kick mine. But you never showed. Like every other poster you have said you were going to do so.

Puff the magic dragon and nothing more. 😂😂😂😂
No you were going to come down here and kick mine. But you never showed. Like every other poster you have said you were going to do so.

Puff the magic dragon and nothing more. 😂😂😂😂
After seeing your pic there's no way I'd fight with you. There just isn't any point. Mother nature already done whooped your ass. LOL.. No doubt there are several here I'd like nothing better than to kick the living hell out of though. {to be clear you aren't one of them, I've come to enjoy your posts} The reality is, you just can't get away with it anymore. They'd either shoot you or have you arrested and jailed. Neither of which is on my list of things to do. I'm afraid the days of getting to whoop the hell out of some ass hole who desperately needs it are gone forever. But there was a time and it was oh so much fun !
Wise move….another Jakie Paper fantasy…but uncharacteristically wise.

How many posters have you threatened and never came thru on. You seem to keep counts😂

“You takin to me” must be your favorite movie line. 😂😂😂😂😂
Since I've retired I try to stay away from people as much as possible. Most just annoy the hell out of me anyway. I hunt, I shoot, I fish, I spend time with the family and our dogs.
Good choices!!!!
Posted By: Theeck Re: Upland boots - 09/21/23
Danner Elk Hunters, Lowa Tibet or Zamberlan 1111 Cresta depending on conditions. I am not too pick but like a higher and stiffer boot for mountain terrain.
© 24hourcampfire