Home
Posted By: JeffyD Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/01/22
What do you use?
The laces that came with my Red Wings come untied just walking across the yard, even double- knotted.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/01/22
Go online and order a 72" pair of oil tanned leather laces. The will last several years, or more if you take care of them, and do not come untied with a double knot. Last pair I ordered was about $15 I think.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
What do you use?
The laces that came with my Red Wings come untied just walking across the yard, even double- knotted.

[use the second(2nd/right foot) method, because you don't tuck the knots]

GR
Posted By: dale06 Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/02/22
Or a wrap of duct tape around the boot, over the knot.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/08/22
I tie them in a square knit and tuck them in my boots. MTG
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/09/22
Wrap around bow twice then pull through loop to finish knot.
Posted By: Houser52 Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/09/22
I had a guy tell me that flat laces will stay tied better than round laces. I never can find flat boot laces to find out if it’s true.
Double bow-knots here
JeffyD: I do not know for sure the answer to your inquiry!
But I have been tying boots (and shoes) for 70+ years now and I DO know that some lace materials are prone to coming "un-tied" VERY quickly - while other lace materials DO NOT.
No matter the "tying" methods.
I am eager to review the reply posts hereon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: CRS Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/10/22
I tie my shoes with the normal bow tie.

But I put an extra wrap in before the bows. And an extra wrap around the bows, cinch it tight and they do not come undone. Was taught this by an older gentleman over 20 years ago.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/10/22
Originally Posted by CRS

But I put an extra wrap in before the bows. And an extra wrap around the bows, cinch it tight and they do not come undone. Was taught this by an older gentleman over 20 years ago.

This is my method too. Even better with flat laces. Reminds me need to get some new laces for my riding boots. Ride the ponies 3 times a week and only get 18 months out of a pair of laces , gotta find another brand me thinks.
Posted By: Pashooter Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/10/22
Try the "Maine Guide Tie" pull the laces up run the end of the right lace back thru the eyelet same with the left now take the ends and put them thru the loops on the opposite sides pull up tight and tuck the ends in the boot tops.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/11/22
Tie a knot in the end of the laces so you can pull them tight while you cinch down the main knot.
Posted By: CRS Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/11/22
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by CRS

This is my method too. Even better with flat laces. Reminds me need to get some new laces for my riding boots. Ride the ponies 3 times a week and only get 18 months out of a pair of laces , gotta find another brand me thinks.

Just need to make sure the double wrap around the bows are dressed properly. Then you can pull really tight without tightening the shoe at all.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/11/22
Double knot them
I had some Kevlar boot laces that were waxed, that stayed tied.

This has been about 10-12 years ago. If I recall correctly, I bought them at

Bakers Boots in Eugene, Or.

Virgil B.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/17/22
Boa laces on my boots have eliminated any tying issues.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 12/15/22
KG Bootguard Kevlar/Nylon boot laces. You can get them a bunch of places, easy button is Amazon.
Posted By: Frank_K Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 12/18/22
I got a pair of "bug gaiters" from these folks:
https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/25092/69541/tick-chigger-gaiters
The go over the laces and the top of the boots, keeps junk out and water to a good degree. I've had mine for about 4 years and they are a very good investment.
Posted By: Guurn Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 01/10/23
Most people that have issues with shoelaces are using a granny knot instead of a "reef" knot. You can tell after you tie the shoes which you did, the granny knot won't have the "ears" of the knot straight across, they will be more north and south. A reef knot will naturally go straight across. I almost never double knot, you know when you are in terrains that requires that.

Oiled leather laces.
I just tie a normal bow knot, then tie the loops in an overhand knot. They never come untied.
Cat
I’ve had all types of boots over the years and just purchased these for a SD pheasant hunt this fall. I thought I would give them a try and get away from laces all together, and the price was right at Sportsmans Guide on my membership. Got these 3 weeks ago, breaking them in and have to say really like this alternative to laces - had to get over the fancy fidangled aspect but my nephew swears by them and said what the heck - so far so good and really like them:

Irish Setter By Red Wing
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 04/07/23
Lace material makes a difference. Have a pair of boots with a stretchy nylon material, can’t keep them tied for nothing.
Just haven’t swapped them out for leather yet.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Bootlaces that Stay Tied - 11/05/23
I have had Redwing 606 boots for over 20 yrs. The last several boots, I can not keep those things tied for anything. I am almost to the point I am going to tell Redwing that they need new shoe strings. I have retired them about 6 or 7 times a day at work and sometimes i dont even retire them anyomore. Somerthing about them strings that are just junk.
I double-knot all of my shoes and boots with laces, they always stay tied.
© 24hourcampfire