Home
Posted By: GuyM Chukar in Washington - 12/06/15
My dog and I got out for a few hours earlier today - to chase chukar here in the hills of central Washington. What a wonderful day!

After a few failed attempts at closing on them, I managed to get up the hill and take two shots at a rising group of chukar, dropping two of them! I'm not that great of a shotgunner, so when I drop two, in two shots, I AM going to brag about it...

Clark the Dog worked hard and did real well. He found chukar, it was up to me to get up to them - and eventually I did. Then he found the birds I dropped. Too cool. It was hard work. I loved every second of it. And we've got a couple of chukar to eat, probably later this week.

They love rugged country. Took this while I was resting, after Clark brought me the two chukar, before we headed back to the Jeep, which was waaaay down below:
[Linked Image]

Clark, working hard:
[Linked Image]

Jeep and Beretta - both work just fine!
[Linked Image]

After the hunt:
[Linked Image]

Oh, and the Seahawks won while I was hunting! What a great day!

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Chukar in Washington - 12/06/15
Well done, Guy, both by man and dog!

Though we don't have many in Montana, I have hunted chukar enough here, in Idaho and Oregon to know what you're talking about. In my experience they're also one of the best-tasting upland birds.
Awesome photos.. Nice job on the chukar!!!
Posted By: pointer Re: Chukar in Washington - 12/07/15
Super job! Those little devils are fun to hunt, but man can they like to live in some rough country.

PS- I've never met a fat chukar loony...
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Chukar in Washington - 12/07/15
It's like sheep hunting for birds. I try to go to Utah to hunt with family there, but missed this year. Good job on your hunt.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Chukar in Washington - 12/24/15
Any downed chuckar is a feat. Nicely done.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Chukar in Washington - 12/24/15
Nice Job!
Posted By: ribka Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/04/16
Great hunt pics

I bird hunt that area earlier in the year and during archery deer. That is thigh busting country and can be quite scary on the roads when snow comes
Posted By: Mesa Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/05/16
We have them in some areas of Southern California (where NOBODY but chukar hunters go!).

In the drought they are getting very thin on the ground; coveys are tiny compared to good years. And they retreat into the few areas where there is water all year, so you have to "go deep"!

Not that hard to hit, not that hard to kill...but getting a shot at them at all is VERY hard! Needs a dog and usually a couple of guys at least! Good job getting a pair solo!

I've hunted them in Eastern Washington, Western Idaho, and Northeastern Oregon, as well as CA. It's NEVER easy and always fun.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/05/16
First time I tried chukar hunting, it was for sport.
Since then, it's been for revenge.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/07/16
grin
Posted By: ExcessFC Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/07/16
How are the numbers up there?

I Chukar hunt mostly in Eastern Oregon, and this year was worth the out of state license.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/25/16
I missed seeing this report and the great photos.

We call chuckar hunting "vendetta". grin
Posted By: rifletom Re: Chukar in Washington - 01/31/16
Agree with Mesa, as I'm in So-Cal. The numbers aren't what they used to be. Hopefully next season. Fun bird to chase around! WTG Guy.
© 24hourcampfire